Help me with profit maximizing level of output

• MHB
  • Thread starter foskel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of profit maximizing and profit earned at maximum, using equations and information about revenue, total cost, and fixed costs. The problem asks for the profit maximizing level of output and the profit earned at maximum for two different scenarios. The conversation also includes a tip to not use LaTeX code when writing sentences.
foskel
I really do not understand what my instructor taught about profit maximizing and profit earned at maximum...so please tell me how to solve them. Thank you very much!

Happy Planet drinks price change as the quantity sold changes. In particular \(p=10-0.005x\).

The total cost to produce the drinks are \(\$2.50\) per drink.

Their production factory costs \(\$1000\) per month.

What is the profit maximizing level of output?

Richard Simmons exercise videos have a \(TR=21x-0.5x^2\) and \(TC=5x+3\).
What is the profit earned at maximum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: help me with profit maximizing level of output

Hello foskel,

A few things we need to know are:
  • Revenue is price per unit times units sold
  • Total cost is cost per unit times units sold to which we add fixed costs
  • Profit is revenue minus total cost
  • Maximum profit occurs where marginal profit is zero

Can you use this information to solve the problems? If you still need guidance, please feel free to let us know and we will gladly offer further help, but I want to give you a chance to works these yourself first.

foskel said:
I really do not understand what my instructor taught about profit maximizing and profit earned at maximum...so please tell me how to solve them. Thank you very much!

Happy Planet drinks price change as the quantity sold changes. In particular p=10-0.005x.

The total cost to produce the drinks are $2.50 per drink.

Their production factory costs $1000 per month.

What is the profit maximizing level of output?

Richard Simmons exercise videos have a TR=21x-0.5 and TC=5x+3.
What is the profit earned at maximum?
Hello foskel,
just a tips don't use latex code when you write sentence. I honestly tried it as well and I don't know if you can get space when you write sentence on latex but right now there is none space in each words.

Last edited:

Petrus said:
Hello foskel,
just a tips don't use latex code when you write sentence. I honestly tried it as well and I don't know if you can get space when you write sentence on latex but right now there is none space in each words.

I think it was accidental, and because of the dollar signs. Use backslash + dollar to escape dollar signs:

Code:
$250 and this will be munched up by LaTeX ... $500
Code:
\$250 and this will work fine ... \$500

$250 and this will be munched up by LaTeX ... $500

\$250 and this will work fine ... \$500

Hello,

Profit maximizing level of output refers to the quantity of a product or service that a company should produce in order to maximize their profits. This can be calculated by finding the point where marginal revenue (MR) equals marginal cost (MC). In other words, the level of output where the additional revenue gained from producing one more unit is equal to the additional cost of producing that unit.

In the case of Happy Planet drinks, the profit maximizing level of output can be calculated by setting MR equal to MC:

MR = p = 10 - 0.005x
MC = $2.50 + $1000/month = $2.50 + $1000/30 days = $2.50 + $33.33 = $35.83

Setting MR = MC:

10 - 0.005x = $35.83
- 0.005x = $25.83
x = $25.83/-0.005
x = 5166

Therefore, the profit maximizing level of output for Happy Planet drinks is 5166 drinks per month.

To calculate the profit earned at maximum, we need to find the difference between total revenue (TR) and total cost (TC) at the profit maximizing level of output:

TR = p * x = (10 - 0.005x) * x = $10x - 0.005x^2
TC = $2.50x + $1000 = $2.50 * 5166 + $1000 = $12,915
Profit = TR - TC = ($10x - 0.005x^2) - ($2.50x + $1000) = $7.50x - 0.005x^2 - $1000

Substituting x = 5166:

Profit = ($7.50 * 5166) - (0.005 * 5166^2) - $1000 = $38,745 - $133,932 - $1000 = -$95,187

Therefore, the profit earned at maximum for Happy Planet drinks is -$95,187. This means that the company is making a loss at the profit maximizing level of output.

For the Richard Simmons exercise videos, the profit maximizing level of output can be calculated in the same way as above, by setting MR equal to MC:

MR = TR' = 21 - 1x = 21 - 1

1. What is the meaning of "profit maximizing level of output"?

The profit maximizing level of output is the level at which a company produces goods or services that result in the highest possible profit. It is where the marginal cost of production is equal to the marginal revenue earned from selling the goods or services.

2. How do I determine the profit maximizing level of output for my business?

To determine the profit maximizing level of output, you will need to analyze your company's marginal cost and marginal revenue. Marginal cost is the additional cost incurred in producing one more unit of a good or service, while marginal revenue is the additional revenue earned from selling one more unit. The profit maximizing level of output is where these two values are equal.

3. What factors can affect the profit maximizing level of output?

Several factors can affect the profit maximizing level of output, including the cost of production, market demand, competition, and pricing strategies. Changes in any of these factors can impact the marginal cost and marginal revenue, thus altering the profit maximizing level of output.

4. Is it always beneficial to operate at the profit maximizing level of output?

No, it is not always beneficial to operate at the profit maximizing level of output. While it may result in the highest profit in theory, it may not be feasible in practice due to various constraints such as capacity limitations or market saturation. Companies must also consider their long-term sustainability and not solely focus on short-term profit maximization.

5. Can the profit maximizing level of output change over time?

Yes, the profit maximizing level of output can change over time. Factors such as changes in technology, market conditions, and consumer preferences can impact the marginal cost and revenue, thus altering the profit maximizing level of output. Companies must regularly review and adjust their production levels to maintain a profitable business.