Maximizing Profit with x Units: A Math Puzzle

In summary: That is a perfect explanation of how to complete the square to find the maximum value of a quadratic function. Great job!
Yankel
Hello,

I need some help with this question, it is not very clear and I find it hard to translate from text to math...

Some company has found that x units of it's product can be sold for p$ a unit when x=1000-p. The cost of producing x units in a day is C(X)=3000+20x.

A. Found the income function R(X) and the profit function P(X).

B. Assuming that the company can produce 500 units a day, determine how many units they need to produce and sell for maximal profit.

C. What is the maximal profit ? What is the price of a unit that leads to a maximal profit ?

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
A.) Revenue (income) in dollars is price per unit times units sold:

$\displaystyle R(x)=x(1000-x)=1000x-x^2$

Profit is revenue less costs:

$\displaystyle P(x)=R(x)-C(x)=(1000x-x^2)-(3000+20x)=-x^2+980x-3000$

B.) Since this is posted in the calculus forum, now set:

$\displaystyle P'(x)=0$

to maximize the profit. Is $\displaystyle 0\le x\le500$?

i) How can you do this without calculus?

ii) How do you know you have a maximum?

C.) What do you think you need to do, given the above result, to find the maximum profit and the price per unit that maximizes profit?

right, I have calculated P'(x)=0 and got x=490, it is between 0 and 500. don't i have to check the edges, i.e. x=500 to see if it's a local maximum or global ?
x=490 is maximum, I used P''(x) to check it.

I am still not sure about part C.

Yes, you have the correct critical value of x = 490, and using the second derivative is exactly what I had in mind, since it is a negative constant, we know the curve is concave down for all x. Thus, we need not check the end-points as we know the extremum we found is a global maximum.

To do this without calculus, we see that the profit is parabolic, and opens downward. Thus, we need only find the axis of symmetry to find the critical value:

$\displaystyle x=-\frac{980}{2(-1)}=490$

Now, for part C, since we know $\displaystyle x=490$ yields the maximum profit, to find the maximum profit means we need to evaluate:

$\displaystyle P(490)$

To find the price at which $\displaystyle x=490$, we need to use the given relationship between the price and the number of units:

$\displaystyle x=1000-p\,\therefore\,p(x)=1000-x$

Thus, we need to evaluate:

$\displaystyle p(490)$

What do you find?

Ok, so

P(490) = 237,100

but the unit price, did you mean 510 ?

Yes for both:

$\displaystyle P(490)=-(490)^2+980(490)-3000=237100$

$\displaystyle p(490)=1000-490=510$

Good work!:cool:

MarkFL also asked "How can you do this without calculus?"

In this problem the profit function is -x2+ 980x- 3000, a quadratic function. Its graph is a parabola opening downward and so it maximum value is at its vertex. And you can find that by completing the square.

1. How do you calculate profit in this math puzzle?

In this math puzzle, profit is calculated by subtracting the total cost from the total revenue. The total cost is determined by multiplying the number of units (x) by the cost per unit, and the total revenue is determined by multiplying the number of units (x) by the selling price per unit.

2. What is the optimal number of units to maximize profit?

The optimal number of units to maximize profit can be found by setting the derivative of the profit function equal to zero and solving for x. This will give you the critical point, which is the number of units that will maximize profit.

3. Can you explain the concept of marginal revenue in this puzzle?

In this puzzle, marginal revenue refers to the additional revenue generated by selling one more unit. It is calculated by finding the derivative of the revenue function with respect to the number of units (x).

4. How does the selling price affect profit in this puzzle?

In this puzzle, the selling price directly affects profit. As the selling price increases, the profit also increases. However, it is important to find the optimal selling price that will maximize profit, as setting the price too high may result in lower sales and lower overall profit.

5. Is there a certain cost per unit that will guarantee maximum profit?

No, there is not a certain cost per unit that will guarantee maximum profit. The profit will depend on the relationship between the cost per unit, the selling price, and the number of units sold. It is important to find the optimal combination of these variables to maximize profit.