How to Maximize Profit for Book Publisher?

In summary: Ok, so for x>400 the profit function would be:(x-400)($0.02) = .02x-8 (to find the decrease)Now I need to find the selling price (p) for x books. I know that I can use the decrease function I
lullaby784
1. A publisher wants to dispose books. For 400 copies or less the price is $30 per book. For orders of more than 400 the price of each book is dropped by 2 cents for each extra book ordered beyond 400. The cost of production is $6 for each book. Find a formula for the profit function and how many books must be sold to maximize profit?

2. P (x)= R(x)-C(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi lullaby784! welcome to pf! :wink:

translate the question into maths …

show us how far you've got, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

This is what I have so far. I'm confused with what to do when the problem says more or less.

P(x)= (400+30x)(400-.02x) - 6x

To find the maximium profit I know to just find the first derivative of the profit function.

I really need help guys.

hi lullaby784! :wink:
lullaby784 said:
P(x)= (400+30x)(400-.02x) - 6x

i don't understand this at all :confused:

start by finding the total selling price for x books, and write separate equations for the two case x ≤ 400 and x > 400 :smile:

Ok, so it would be. All I need are the formulas for profit function. The first profit function is for 400 copies or less and the second profit function is for greater than 400 copies. I'm also taking into the prices $30 and a decrease of $0.02 for each extra book over 400 copies.

P(x) = (x ≤ 400)($30)
($30x + $12000) - Cost
($30x + $12000) - $6x
P(x) = $24x + $12000
P(x) = (x > 400)(x-$0.02) - Cost
(x^2 + $399.98x - 8) - $6x
P(x) = x^2 +$393.98x - 8

Then I would just take the first derivative to find out how many books must be sold to maximize profit and to find the maximum profit.

Last edited:
i'll do the first half for you …

for x ≤ 400, the selling price for each book is $30, so the profit on each book is $30 minus $6 = $24, so the total profit is $24x

ok, now what is the selling price for each book if x > 400 ?

(for example, we know that if x = 401, the selling price for each book is $29.98, if x = 402, the selling price for each book is $29.96 …)

Ok, seems like I had the first part correct already.

Total copies to maximize is 400, total profit to maximize is $9600

For x > 400. If the number of books was 401, then the profit function would be:

29.98-6=$23.98x (will give me my total profit)

Total copies to maximize is 401, total profit to maximize is $9615.98 Am I correct?

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
(for example, we know that if x = 401, the selling price for each book is $29.98, if x = 402, the selling price for each book is $29.96 …)

lullaby784 said:
For x > 400. If the number of books was 401, then the profit function would be:

29.98-6=$23.98x (will give me my total profit)

you're only repeating what i said …

you need to find a general formula, for the selling price for one book, in terms of x

(and btw, i have no idea what this means :confused: …)
Total copies to maximize is 401

Related to How to Maximize Profit for Book Publisher?

1. What is the Profit Maximization Problem?

The Profit Maximization Problem is a fundamental concept in economics and business, which refers to the process of determining the optimal level of output that will generate the highest profit for a company.

2. How is Profit Maximization achieved?

Profit Maximization is achieved by finding the point where the marginal revenue (MR) equals the marginal cost (MC). This is because at this point, the additional cost of producing one more unit is equal to the additional revenue generated from selling that unit, resulting in the highest possible profit.

3. What are the assumptions behind the Profit Maximization Problem?

The main assumptions behind the Profit Maximization Problem are that the company is a profit-maximizing entity, the company operates in a perfectly competitive market where price is constant, and the company has perfect information about its costs and revenues.

4. Are there any limitations to the Profit Maximization Problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Profit Maximization Problem. It assumes that the company's only goal is to maximize profits, while in reality, companies may have other objectives such as market share or social responsibility. It also assumes perfect information and ignores external factors such as changes in market demand or government regulations.

5. How does the Profit Maximization Problem relate to other economic concepts?

The Profit Maximization Problem is closely related to other economic concepts such as cost-benefit analysis, opportunity cost, and supply and demand. It also plays a role in decision-making for businesses, as it helps them determine the most profitable course of action.