Help finding physics information

In summary, I would recommend getting a math book and studying it, then if you're interested in physics, you can look into advanced topics by reading public science journals or watching college level lectures.
Pakitas
Hello, I am a french 15 aged boy and I have been loving science, engineering, physics for 3 years now. I inform myself on the internet and I learn bunch of things at school but I feel like I haven't learned enough, and I'd like to know where I could learn all the physics bases from my class to... let's say university level. I'd like to know where I could find articles on the web on the latest discoveries, like in the big bang theory, sheldon often posts articles on his findings on the web, where could I find such things?
I hope you understood my problem, thanks for all!

Physics news on Phys.org
We get these kinds of questions a lot. My answer is always the same. Don't bother with much physics at this stage. What is important right now is that you learn mathematics. If you want a shot at understand anything about physics, then you're going to need a whole lot of math.

So, I'd say: get a decent math book and start studying. I like to recommend "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang as a first good math book. If you finished that, then you can start with calculus.

Thanks a lot, and sorry if I asked a question that others use to ask a lot too. I'll search informations on this book

If you want to take a look at what physicists are publishing, check out the pre-print server.

http://www.arxiv.org

That's where physicists (and astronomers) post their articles when they submit them to journals. Don't expect to understand what you read yet - but it can give you an idea of how far you've got to go.

Hello!

Maybe you can use this as a guide for topics in physics:
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html
It's a Nobel laureate explaining how to win a nobel prize ;)

Also very good
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
It talks about a lot in a very concise manner. If you want more explanations, I'd advise books instead of internet (don't forget anyone can type on the net what they want, and as you don't know much about physics at this stage, you won't be able to distinguish bs from truth).

If you're interested in books at your level, you can use the search button, also a lot of threads on that topic :) or you can PM me, maybe with some specifications for what you're looking for.

Enjoy your quest!

I'm also a fan of the big bang theory like you said haha, the stuff sheldon usually posts online is in physics journals which unfortunately are usually not free, you have to pay to subscribe to them which is fine if you want but being young as well (16) most of those I've seen, I'm too young/don't have a good enough background to understand. Like micromass said, math is best if you're actually trying to study, if you're just interested in pleasure reading about modern physics, there's plenty of books you could find in any bookstores that are easier to understand (toned down a bit for avg. people) that discuss basic theoretical physics. Stephen Hawking has written many of these for example The Grand Design which I'm reading now (very good by the way.) Youtube has a lot of college level lectures on physics my favorite being Leonard Susskind of Stanford University. NASA.gov has articles daily on advancements in engineering, astronomy/astrophysics, and aerospace tech. all of which are easier to read. Or just google things you are interested in and I'm sure plenty of articles have been written on them whether it just be a wikipedia page or newspapers or actual public science journals such as university research which is often posted free because it advertises for that particular school. Hope this helped!

Related to Help finding physics information

1. How do I find reliable sources for physics information?

There are several ways to find reliable sources for physics information. One option is to use reputable databases such as JSTOR or ScienceDirect, which contain peer-reviewed articles from scientific journals. You can also look for information from government agencies, universities, or professional organizations. It's important to critically evaluate the sources you find and make sure they are credible and unbiased.

2. Is there a specific format or structure for scientific research papers?

Yes, there is a standard format for scientific research papers, which typically includes an abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. However, different journals may have their own specific guidelines and formatting requirements, so it's important to carefully read and follow the submission guidelines of the journal you are submitting to.

3. How can I access scientific articles that are behind a paywall?

If you are having trouble accessing a scientific article due to paywall restrictions, there are a few options you can try. Some universities and libraries offer free access to online databases for their students and faculty. You can also try reaching out to the author of the article directly to request a copy, or look for pre-print versions of the article on sites like arXiv or ResearchGate.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me with understanding complex physics concepts?

Yes, there are several online resources that can help with understanding complex physics concepts. Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera are all popular platforms that offer free online courses and tutorials on various topics in physics. You can also check out physics forums and discussion boards to ask questions and get help from other experts and enthusiasts.

5. Can I use information from popular science websites in my research paper?

It's generally not recommended to use information from popular science websites in research papers. While these websites may provide a basic understanding of a topic, they are not considered reliable sources for scientific research. It's best to stick to peer-reviewed articles from reputable journals for your research paper.