Help Find an Op-Amp for Popular Electronics Project

• Thread starter uchimata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the individual is looking for help building a biofeedback device from an old issue of Popular Electronics. They are having trouble finding the necessary op-amps (Signetics N5556) and are seeking a substitute or a shop that carries them. Another individual suggests using TL071 or OPA277 as substitutes, or using an AD620 for better performance.
uchimata
Hey everyone,

Whelp, I've had this project dancing around in the back of my mind for a good six months now and I'm here to ask for some help. I'd like to build this biofeedback device from an old issue of Popular Electronics:
http://72.52.208.92/~gbpprorg/mil/mindcontrol/Build_A_Brain_Wave_Feedback_Monitor.pdf

The problem I'm running into is that the op-amps (Signetics N5556) are old and just about impossible to find. I've checked all of the electronics outlets I can think of for them, and the other parts were easy enough to source. Does anyone have a link to a shop that would carry something obscure like this? Barring that, could anyone suggest a substitute that's readily available?

I'm just a hobbyist that enjoys building weird things so I apologize if this is a goofy question. Any expert advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simply use TL071 instead of N5556.

There are many choices that would likely work, because this was a fairly crude technology. The TL071 is probably good. Otherwise, I'd suggest an OPA277, which has fairly close characteristics and is based upon the same technology.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your project. It sounds like you have a really interesting idea in mind and I'm happy to assist you in finding a suitable op-amp for your biofeedback device.

Unfortunately, the Signetics N5556 is indeed an older and less commonly used op-amp, making it difficult to find. However, there are several options available that may work as substitutes for your project. Some suggestions include the LM741, TL071, or LM358 op-amps. These are all commonly used in audio and signal processing applications and should be readily available at most electronics outlets.

I would also recommend checking online retailers and auction sites for the Signetics N5556. While they may not be readily available in physical stores, you may be able to find them online from a seller who specializes in vintage or hard-to-find electronic components.

Lastly, I would suggest reaching out to other hobbyists or electronics enthusiasts who may have experience with this project or a similar one. They may be able to offer additional insight or suggestions for suitable op-amps to use.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and I hope you are able to find a suitable op-amp to complete it. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance.

Best,

1. What is an op-amp and how does it work?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is a type of electronic component commonly used in circuit design. It is a high-gain voltage amplifier with two inputs and one output. The output voltage is proportional to the difference between the two inputs, making it useful for a wide range of applications including signal amplification, filtering, and mathematical operations.

2. How do I choose the right op-amp for my project?

Choosing the right op-amp for your project depends on several factors, including the required voltage range, frequency response, and gain. It is important to carefully read the datasheet of the op-amp you are considering, as it will provide all the necessary specifications and performance characteristics. Additionally, you can consult with experienced engineers or use online resources to help guide your decision.

3. Can any op-amp be used for any project?

While some op-amps may have similar specifications, it is not recommended to use just any op-amp for any project. Different op-amps have different capabilities and may be better suited for specific applications. It is important to carefully consider your project requirements and choose an op-amp that meets those requirements to ensure optimal performance.

4. What is the difference between a single-supply and dual-supply op-amp?

A single-supply op-amp operates with only one power supply, typically a positive voltage. On the other hand, a dual-supply op-amp requires both positive and negative power supplies. The choice between single-supply and dual-supply op-amps depends on the specific application and the required voltage range. Dual-supply op-amps are often used in applications that require a symmetrical output voltage, while single-supply op-amps are more commonly used in battery-powered devices.

5. Are there any common issues or troubleshooting tips when using op-amps?

Yes, there are some common issues that can arise when using op-amps, such as oscillations, noise, and stability problems. It is important to carefully design and test your circuit to ensure proper performance. Some troubleshooting tips include checking for proper power supply connections, minimizing noise sources, and using appropriate decoupling capacitors. Additionally, consulting the datasheet and seeking help from experienced engineers can also help resolve any issues.