Preparing Op Amp Lab: Tips & Guidelines

In summary, the individual is working on a lab project using limited instruments and electronics. They are trying to use an op amp to amplify a few uA pulse to a 5 mA pulse, but are having trouble due to the op amp not accommodating the voltages. They have shared a schematic and pictures, and are using a capacitor and pendulum in the experiment. They are also using a current sensor from Pasco instruments and an Op Amp plugged into a 115V outlet for power. They have been asked to explain the purpose of the experiment.
HumblePhys
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi, I'm working on a lab project and I have limited instruments/electronics. I am trying to use this op amp to amplify a few uA pulse to a 5 mA pulse. The pulse is passing through a circuit that has around 500 to 1600V and I had originally hooked up the Op Amp in a series using the + and - inputs. Then the output + and - was ran to a Pasco current sensor. Nothing else was connected to the Op Amp. I apologize in advance if this post makes you high five your forehead. Also, thanks.

Attachments

• operational-amplifier.jpg
    operational-amplifier.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HumblePhys said:
around 500 to 1600V

Welcome to the PF.

Since an opamp doesn't accommodate those voltages, can you post a schematic?

hi there
welcome to PF :smile:the pic is a bit small to read all the connections on the unit ... have you got a better one ?

The op-amp experiment unit will also need a power supply connected to the blue/red/black terminals on the top left
( well at least that looks like the power rail terminals)

dang I had left that post hanging for over an hour before posting it

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. Here are a couple pics that I hope help the situation. I'm using pasco instruments with my lab and the current sensor can only read 5 mA and up I believe. In the schematic there is a capacitor and its not in the drawing, but what I'm doing is hanging a pendulum between the capacitor and it's swinging back and forth as it gets charged. So that is where the current is coming from. If you look at the picture I've attached, the red and black wire on the left is part of the circuit with the capacitor/pendulum ect. That current is small so I'm trying to send the pulse into the op amp, amplify it and send it through the output into the pasco current sensor. Also, the Op Amp is plugged into 115V outlet and being the amateur that I am, I figured that gave me the power I needed.

Attachments

• 20151023_185915 - Copy.jpg
    20151023_185915 - Copy.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Schematic.gif
    Schematic.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 416
Why don't you explain what the experiment is about?

Related to Preparing Op Amp Lab: Tips & Guidelines

1. What is an op amp and why is it important in lab preparations?

An op amp, or operational amplifier, is an electronic device used to amplify and process electrical signals. It is an essential component in many electronic circuits and is commonly used in laboratory experiments to perform various functions such as amplification, filtering, and signal conditioning.

2. How should I choose the right op amp for my lab experiment?

When selecting an op amp for your lab experiment, consider the specifications such as input and output voltage range, bandwidth, slew rate, and supply voltage. Make sure the op amp can meet the requirements of your circuit design and provide the necessary performance for your experiment.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with op amps in the lab?

One common mistake is using the wrong power supply for the op amp. Make sure to use the recommended supply voltage and check for any polarity requirements. Also, avoid using damaged or faulty op amps, as they can affect the accuracy and reliability of your experiment results.

4. How can I ensure the stability of my op amp circuit during lab preparations?

To ensure stability, it is important to properly select and connect external components such as resistors and capacitors. Also, pay attention to the op amp's feedback network and make sure it is designed correctly. Using decoupling capacitors can also help prevent unwanted noise and instability in the circuit.

5. What are some best practices for handling and storing op amps in the lab?

Op amps are sensitive electronic components and should be handled with care. When handling them, avoid touching the pins and always use an anti-static wrist strap to prevent damage from static electricity. When not in use, store op amps in a cool, dry place, and avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or moisture.