What are the aspirations and interests of a young physicist?

• Thread starter PhysicsRock
  • Start date
In summary, a young physicist typically has a strong curiosity for the natural world and a passion for understanding the laws that govern it. They are driven by a desire to solve complex problems and make groundbreaking discoveries in the field of physics. Their interests may range from cosmology and astrophysics to quantum mechanics and particle physics. They also aspire to push the boundaries of scientific knowledge and contribute to advancements in technology and society. Many young physicists are motivated by a sense of wonder and a drive to uncover the mysteries of the universe. They often possess a strong foundation in mathematics and a keen analytical mind, and are constantly seeking new challenges and opportunities to expand their understanding of the physical world.
PhysicsRock
Hi there,
I am new and as instructed I hereby want to introduce myself a litte.

My name is Kevin, I am 18 years old and I'm going to be a first semester this year (official start is 01.10.2022 in european date representation). I am enrolled at the University of Heidelberg and I am studying physics.

Originally, I am from Brandenburg state.

My long term goal is to obtain a PhD diploma in the field of Theoretical Physics, more specific in QFT.

My hobbies include dancing, cooking, shooting (as a sport shooter), programming in Python and C++, and, of course, studying and learning new things in the fields of physics and mathematics.

So, I guess, this is it, this is me. I wish everybody a great morning, noon or evening. Stay healthy guys!

Likes berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

One word of caution don't provide so much info about yourself. The web is not a kind place and it could come back to get you.

Please take some time to read our site guidelines (see link in my signature). We are a highly moderated site and follow our guidelines closely. When asking for homework help, you must post in the appropriate forum, use the provided template and show your work. We can only provide hints and not proper solutions meaning if you see you can help someone only give them a hint to get them going.

We also don't discuss fringe science topics, banned topics, dangerous topics as listed in the guidelines.

Lastly, with your interest in Theoretical Physics, we have an insightful article describing how one should prepare for such a major by @ZapperZ. In addition, there's a website by Gerard T'Hooft where he outlines the path to becoming a theoretical physicist.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/so-you-want-to-be-a-physicist-a-22-part-guide.240792/

https://www.goodtheorist.science/primarymathematics.html

Likes PhysicsRock
PhysicsRock said:
My name is Kevin, I am 18 years old and I'm going to be a first semester this year
Welcome to PF, Kevin. :smile:

Wow, you are just now entering university? Your first post in the technical forums is quite impressive for that level of education so far...
PhysicsRock said:
I've dealt with Quantum Theory a lot, but there's one thing I don't quite understand.

When deriving the Fermion-Propagator, say SF, all the authors I've read from made use of the Fourier-Transform. Basically, it always goes like

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF, Kevin. :smile:

Wow, you are just now entering university? Your first post in the technical forums is quite impressive for that level of education so far...
Well, I've been interested in physics since I turned 14. I found true passion in it and would be more than happy to one day help make a contribution to our understanding of the universe.

Likes berkeman