Hello, I am new to Physics Forums

• Thread starter SJMCGOWAN777
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums is an online community for physics enthusiasts and experts to discuss and share their knowledge, theories, and questions related to physics. It is a platform for learning and collaborating with others who are passionate about the subject. The forum covers a wide range of topics, from classical mechanics to quantum physics, and provides resources such as study guides, problem-solving strategies, and research articles. Users can also participate in discussions, ask for help, and get feedback on their ideas. Overall, Physics Forums is a valuable resource for anyone interested in physics.
SJMCGOWAN777
How did you find PF?
I found out about Physics Forums a few years ago via a general search.
Just joined.

I've been thinking about the hard problem of consciousness a lot, and I would like to at least begin by asking a question or two about generic physical processes, especially processes happening at the subatomic scale. So my motivation is philosophical, particularly in the areas of mind and nature in general, and just to get a better idea of things viz. classic experiments. I am particularly interested in pair creation and the spontaneous parametric down-conversion that produces entangled pairs of photons from a coherent source. I want to find out as much as I can about these types of processes. I am not trained in physics or maths at all beyond GCSE but I have read a bit about quantum indistinguishability in popular books such as Tim Maudlin's "Quantum Non-Locality and Relativity" and have always been fascinated by relativity. I am well aware that mathematical formalism is essential to a full understanding of those theories, but I hope that the questions I ask will be simple and specific enough to be answerable in prose.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Be aware that discussions about consciousness generally end up being about philosophy, not science and that doesn't go over well here. I suggest you read the rules.

Hello,

sorry for the misunderstanding; I don't want to have a discussion about consciousness although I would like to ask some questions about physics!

I hope that's okay.

Likes berkeman
SJMCGOWAN777 said:
Hello,

sorry for the misunderstanding; I don't want to have a discussion about consciousness although I would like to ask some questions about physics!

I hope that's okay.
Of course. That's why we're here.