Having children while below the poverty line

In summary, the conversation centered around the issue of whether people below the poverty line should have children. The general consensus was that they should not, but that society cannot infringe upon their freedom. The topic also touched upon the question of whether people have the right to be irresponsible and what sanctions should be applied to those who are irresponsible, including irresponsible parents. It was mentioned that in some cases, it may be necessary for others to intervene in the best interest of the child. The conversation also mentioned the difficulties of the foster care system and the responsibility of the wealthy to support those who are unable to support themselves. Finally, there was a discussion about the consequences of irresponsible actions, such as buying a house on credit and being unable to repay the debt.

Should people below poverty line have children?

• Total voters
rootX
Should people below the poverty line, who can't feed themselves, have children?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, they shouldn't. But clearly they should be allowed to.

I don't think they should be encouraged to have children whilst under the poverty line, but we can't stop them, or tell them what they should or shouldn't do!

Yes, I am using "should", not recommending making it a law.

I will add my reply later (cur. @ work) but was thinking about family, having a complete family, ways to sustain it, and its dependency on money.

Well, if they are not able to feed their children properly, they may be divested of the right to be the children's primary carers. The children, after all, have the right to live and have the chance to prosper. If their biological parents have serious difficulties in preserving that right for their own children, others are entitled to secure that right for those children. Whether the parents object or not.

I think there is a problem with the word "should".

Should society pass a law against it? That is a much different issue than if I were impoverished, should I?

It may well be that the right to have children becomes rationed in the future by scarce resources, but it is a difficult proposition to subscribe to legislative imposition, as opposed to expect that voluntarily choices will achieve the same end. The idea of limiting the most basic drive of life - reproduction - creates difficult to handle corollaries, if the decision is not made solely by the individual, like who decides and on what basis. So far it's been left to Darwin. Choosing Congress to take it on would undoubtedly make a fine mess of things. (Can Birth Credit Swaps be far away if that happens?)

rootX said:
They should not, but if the society supports 'freedom', then society cannot be consistent and infringe upon the freedom.

Parallel question - "Do people have to right to be irresponsible?". If not, what sanctions should be applied to those who are irresponsible? For example, what sanctions should be applied to a woman or couple who have children but not the means to support those children? - or "What sanctions should be applied to a man who fathers many children with multiple wives, but choses not to support any of them (there was a case locally of a guy who fathered 9 or so children with several women who were on welfare)? - or "What should be the sanctions for people who buy a house or real estate on credit, but then cannot repay the debt or interest according to the schedule?"

Only thing we can hope for is through our education system people will become acceptably responsible.

Outliers will always exist, and my personal conclusion is that we can't do anything about them. Rather have some irresponsible people than make (unreasonable) rules, laws, regulations to fix it.

What do you about that 13 year old dad and 15 year old mother?:-p

Astronuc said:
They should not, but if the society supports 'freedom', then society cannot be consistent and infringe upon the freedom.

Parallel question - "Do people have to right to be irresponsible?". If not, what sanctions should be applied to those who are irresponsible? For example, what sanctions should be applied to a woman or couple who have children but not the means to support those children? - or "What sanctions should be applied to a man who fathers many children with multiple wives, but choses not to support any of them (there was a case locally of a guy who fathered 9 or so children with several women who were on welfare)? - or "What should be the sanctions for people who buy a house or real estate on credit, but then cannot repay the debt or interest according to the schedule?"
Well, people have the right to be irresponsible for themselves, but that does not give them the right to act irresponsibly towards others dependent upon them. I.e, it is not against the principle of the freedom of the individual to deprive irresponsible parents of the right to raise their children. (rather, it may be our duty to do so, in the best interest of the child.)

arildno said:
Well, people have the right to be irresponsible for themselves, but that does not give them the right to act irresponsibly towards others dependent upon them. I.e, it is not against the principle of the freedom of the individual to deprive irresponsible parents of the right to raise their children. (rather, it may be our duty to do so, in the best interest of the child.)
I agree with your statements.

Astronuc said:
"What should be the sanctions for people who buy a house or real estate on credit, but then cannot repay the debt or interest according to the schedule?"

Throw them in debtors prison and send them to a prison colony like say Australia?

arildno2 said:
Well, if they are not able to feed their children properly, they may be divested of the right to be the children's primary carers. The children, after all, have the right to live and have the chance to prosper. If their biological parents have serious difficulties in preserving that right for their own children, others are entitled to secure that right for those children. Whether the parents object or not.

Good luck on that. I volunteer for an adoption agency and I see the notebooks full of children who need a foster or adoptive home. A poor, semi-hungry, dilapidated home beats the heck out of the foster care system every day of the week.

the higher people are above the poverty line, the less likely they are to have children. so it's perfectly reasonable to expect that poor people take on the responsibility of having children and wealthy people take on the responsibility of paying for it.

LowlyPion said:
Throw them in debtors prison and send them to a prison colony like say Australia?

Can we do the same for congressmen who pass spending bills and then cannot raise taxes to cover that deficit? And why Australia? What's wrong with Mississippi?

LowlyPion said:

TVP45 said:
Can we do the same for congressmen who pass spending bills and then cannot raise taxes to cover that deficit? And why Australia? What's wrong with Mississippi?

I vote for Greenland.

LowlyPion said:
:smile: That used to be the solution. :biggrin:

TVP45 said:
And why Australia?
I'm Australian.

Back in the day, families couldn't survive without having children. Maybe for those who live under the poverty line also can not survive without children.

Children who can help contribute to the family.

JasonRox said:
Children who can help contribute to the family.

I think that is more true in agrarian economies, where farm units are self sustaining as far as resources and food production and economies of scale, supported by cheap family labor, contributing to overall well being.

My family heritage shows quite a number of generations sporting 6 - 8 children through the 19th century. Indeed I rather suspect that it was more than just a lack of condoms or simply the love of children.

But I think as we enter an age of more precious resources and a higher educational threshold to enter the productive sphere, there is a longer lag from the womb until children can contribute to their collective family's well being - if they ever do before they become overtaken in needing to care for their own.

TVP45 said:
What's wrong with Mississippi?

It would be cruel and unusual.

I voted yes. If they have children, then they can feed themselves.

jimmysnyder said:
I voted yes. If they have children, then they can feed themselves.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting they eat the kids here? The line of logic seems less than ideal

Astronuc said:
Parallel question - "Do people have to right to be irresponsible?"

One more: Should people stop having children in tough times?
Taking Holocaust as recent event, I wonder if Jews stopped reproducing for those years.
or
Would we have been here if our ancestors stop reproducing when they ran out of ways to sustain themselves?

I was thinking about the third world countries:

It seems that parents think children (boys) would be able to get a job and sustain the whole family. But this doesn't work all the times and also unlike developed countries poor stay poor (very few opportunities for them to rise).

Also assume that parents go without having any children. By the time, they reach 50-60, they wouldn't be able to do any work (assuming that they do reach 50-60), would they die out of starvation?
And, if they get sick during that age who is going to take care of them?
They definitely need(want) someone to take their care during those times.

To be clear, my "no" vote means, "If you are living in poverty conditions then you ought to not have children since it would be a bad idea in the current economic situation; and furthermore, did you actually think it through? I mean, were you planning to have a kid, or was it just what happened? Either way, you weren't thinking it through. I don't know if you know what it takes to raise a child, these days, even with two parents together, one working full time and the other staying at home, it is so much work to raise one kid, never mind two or three. Yes, I do know. I am right there. If you think you are going to get through it easily because 'Grandma lives close by' or 'I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a raise pretty soon' you just don't have your finger on the pulse of reality. It is exhausting, frustrating and terrifying during those first three months. No one can be prepared for it even if they do have plenty of money. But then again, there should be no law against having kids when you can't afford it, nor any other form of stupidity." That's all.

I just watched three episodes of "House." I might be influenced.

rootX said:

What about people who are below the poverty line, but can still feed themselves? Or those above the poverty line, but due to poor money management or an addiction can't afford to feed themselves?

rootX said:
One more: Should people stop having children in tough times?
Taking Holocaust as recent event, I wonder if Jews stopped reproducing for those years.
or
Would we have been here if our ancestors stop reproducing when they ran out of ways to sustain themselves?

It seems that parents think children (boys) would be able to get a job and sustain the whole family. But this doesn't work all the times and also unlike developed countries poor stay poor (very few opportunities for them to rise).

Also assume that parents go without having any children. By the time, they reach 50-60, they wouldn't be able to do any work (assuming that they do reach 50-60), would they die out of starvation?
And, if they get sick during that age who is going to take care of them?
They definitely need(want) someone to take their care during those times.

Where on Earth are you from?! I'm 50. I still work. I'm not starving. And I plan on working until I'm 60. I've never had any kids because I've almost always been under the poverty line.

When the time comes that someone needs to take care of feeding me or wiping my butt, I plan on jumping under a bus, or finding some hungry polar bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jiMA_o5wY1E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jiMA_o5wY1E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Scene of polar bear eating toothless grandmother is apparently unavailable on youtube.
If you would like to witness the scene, please consider renting or purchasing "The Savage Innocents"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mPbO_9XwSDo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mPbO_9XwSDo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ooops. Sorry. Saw you mentioned third world scenario. Never mind.

But you should rent the movie anyways. I've not seen it since I was 10. Interesting plot.
And the cinematography is indicative of the beauty of our planet, without the help of computer graphics.

Almost makes you want to buy a kayak and move to Canada.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:

Sure go for it. Such is life.

When you start saying "no you shouldn't", "it's irresponsible", etc, you are walking into an philosophical minefield - supposing hypotheticals about the nature of existence, suffering, the future, etc etc. For example, ask yourself right now: "would I rather be poor or would I rather not exist".

Add to that the fact that life was, as they say, "nasty brutish and short" for the majority of all human history. Were all the humans who lived then wrong in having children? If you could go back and convince your poor serf great-great-great-...-great-grandfather to not have kids, would you do it?

If people below the poverty line quit having children, it would go a long way towards controlling overpopulation. 32.6% of the world's population lives below the poverty line (stats compiled from CIA World Fact Book).

Liberia, Gaza Strip, Haiti, Zimbabwe, and Chad would be particularly sparse, as 80% of their population lives below the poverty line.

I guess if they stopped having children, it would be less messy than out and out genocide.

Perhaps you only meant people living below the poverty line in rich countries shouldn't have kids. Rich people shouldn't have to see people living in poverty.

Actually, the way the original post was worded, the issue is moot anyway. They'll die of starvation before the baby is ever born. I think the question may have been too lacking to get any kind of sensible answer.

Last edited:
BobG said:
32.6% of the world's population lives below the poverty line

The poverty line has a life of its own. If you got rid of everyone below it, you think it wouldn't rearrange itself like charge on a conducting surface and define another group to be defined below the poverty line?

I think it is wrong to tell someone they shouldn't reproduce because they are poor. On the other hand, they should want to make sure they are self-sufficient and can properly provide and care for their children.

However, as OctoMom has recently emphasized, some people think it's the governments responsibility to care for their offspring.

In spite of this observation, on a personal note and as a father of 4, I can tell you with the addition of each member of our family I found additional motivation to work harder and further improve our standard of living and future security.

The American dream is never to be bound by the shackles of poverty...everyone is free to make their own way in the world...unless you throw the towel in and decide to live on the government "nipple"...the sky is the limit.

LowlyPion said:
The poverty line has a life of its own. If you got rid of everyone below it, you think it wouldn't rearrange itself like charge on a conducting surface and define another group to be defined below the poverty line?

I don't think living below the poverty line in the US is quite as tough as living below the poverty line in the Gaza Strip.

And, yes, a floating poverty line does add to the absurdity of the idea that people living below it shouldn't have kids.

LowlyPion said:

It can be defined economically independent to the poorest people in a nation.

That's why I think there aren't any (or very few) below poverty line in the developed nations and I was thinking more about the third world (mentioned it in the earlier post):

BobG said:
If people below the poverty line quit having children, it would go a long way towards controlling overpopulation. 32.6% of the world's population lives below the poverty line (stats compiled from CIA World Fact Book).

Liberia, Gaza Strip, Haiti, Zimbabwe, and Chad would be particularly sparse, as 80% of their population lives below the poverty line.

I guess if they stopped having children, it would be less messy than out and out genocide.

But they also have high mortality rate.. and many people suffer from diseases like HIV
http://www.irinnews.org/report.aspx?reportid=51959

I also wonder how many of those people have awareness about STDs and abortions.

Throwing in a twist.

If people know they have a very great chance of passing a debilitating and incurable disease onto their children, one that would make them incapable of of earning a living and requiring constant expensive medical care, costs that are quite likely to be footed by the public, should they have children?

Evo said:
Throwing in a twist.

If people know they have a very great chance of passing a debilitating and incurable disease onto their children, one that would make them incapable of of earning a living and requiring constant expensive medical care, costs that are quite likely to be footed by the public, should they have children?

I agree with you Evo, but other than requiring counseling, what can be done?

Again, overlay your template on top of the OctoMom information. She had 6 children, at least 1 autistic and 2 (?) on disability (I can't recall if she is on disability as well)...then she underwent a fertility procedure to have 6 (?) more babies...the potential for birth defects must be astronomical...can someone please compute?