Graduate School: Can I get in? - Thinking about going back to Math

In summary, the individual is considering going back to school for a PhD in mathematics and has questions about their background and potential for getting into a mid-level program with funding. They have a background in philosophy and minors in math and physics, with additional coursework in math and a semester studying philosophy of mathematics at Oxford. They are currently in a M.A. program in IT and have a strong interest in teaching and math. They have a GPA of 3.7 overall and 3.25 in math, and GRE scores of Quant 750 and Verbal 580. They are curious about the possibility of transferring from a master's program to a PhD and have taken abstract algebra but not real analysis. They also mention their interest in philosophy of math
uncfelt1147
Graduate School: Can I get in? -- Thinking about going back to Math

Hi, I have been pondering some kind of PhD program in mathematics, and I have a couple questions. So, first, knowing my background might be nice. I graduated from a small, mid-level liberal arts college with a major in philosophy and minors in math/physics. Then, for whatever reason, I went to another year of undergrad at a low/mid-level state school, where I took a bunch of random classes, including enough math to have ~33 hours. Originally, I was going to go to go to graduate school in philosophy. I got into a relatively great terminal M.A. program, but decided not to go that track, and ended up starting into a M.A. program for IT, which thus far I have enjoyed quite a bit. I'm about halfway through this program, and it's not too challenging, but I am definitely going to finish it; also, classes are only offered at night. I currently work as a tutor and substitute teacher, which makes enough money for me, so my days are open a bit.

To get down to it, I am curious if I could get into a mid-level PhD program and whether or not I could get funding of any kind from such an institution. My stats are essentially, ~33 hours in mathematics (most of the essentials accounted for), Overall GPA: ~3.7, Math GPA: ~3.25, GRE: Quant 750, Verbal 580, and if it counts for anything I spent a semester at Oxford studying the philosophy of mathematics.

I didn't really try that hard through the good portion of my college career. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I really started caring, even though I have always loved school, I just didn't put that much into it. Anyway, I love teaching and I love math, and would be interested in trying to get into a PhD program, as a supplement to my IT/Philosophy knowledge, and in case I would like to teach later in my life. Does this sound feasible as long as I am not trying to get into a mid-level-ish school?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know a whole lot about PhD programs, but I expect you could, at the very least, get into a master's program, from which you could transfer up to a PhD eventually. Have you taken abstract algebra or real analysis (also known as advanced calculus at some schools)? Schools tend to look for that, although even those can be worked around, at least at the master's level. I can't really tell you much about your specific situation, but I can tell you that I graduated with a BA in creative writing with almost enough credits for a second major in math, and I got accepted to several master's programs in math. They weren't terribly prestigious schools, but they were all right. I hadn't taken algebra or analysis or even discrete math, but the state school I ended up choosing will let me make up the undergrad coursework I'm missing. I don't remember my GRE scores, but my overall GPA was 3.8 and my math GPA was about 3.6.

Sidenote: Philosophy of math sounds really awesome! What sorts of things did you study in that program?

Thanks. That's useful information. Also, I have taken abstract, but only one semester's worth. I haven't taken real, though. A second question, if you don't mind: did they offer you funding, also, or were you on your own?

Sidenote response: It was really great. I did a lot of weird things like numbers as objects and platonic ideals; number structures and whether these structures were localized to a specific model or solely structures in themselves. Stuff like that. It was very interesting.

As it stands, I'm not entirely sure. The school generally funds all its grad students, both at the master's and PhD levels. They told me I wouldn't be able to get an assistantship right away because of the gaps in my background (apparently they are somewhat concerned that I will drop out because I'll be freaked out by how much math is involved, since I was not actually a math major...or something?) but that if I stuck it out and did well in the transitional coursework I should have an assistantship by either my second semester or the beginning of my second year. They said they may be able to give me a tuition waiver until then, but I am still waiting to hear back for sure. I did get offered full funding at another school, but its program was much smaller and had fewer options.

Response to sidenote response: That's so cool! What kind of program was it? I was looking into history/philosophy of science programs before I decided I wanted to keep going with math.

Canadian universities offer funding at both the MSc and PhD levels. Look into those options. I'm not certain about eligibility (with regards to your degrees) though. If that interests you, try e-mailing to confirm.

Related to Graduate School: Can I get in? - Thinking about going back to Math

1. Can I get into graduate school without a strong math background?

While a strong math background is certainly beneficial for graduate school in math, it is not always a requirement. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. You may be able to make up for a weaker math background by excelling in other areas and demonstrating your potential for success in the program.

2. How do I know if graduate school in math is right for me?

It is important to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and career goals before deciding to pursue graduate school in math. Research the program requirements and curriculum, talk to current students or professors in the field, and assess your own skills and interests to determine if this is the right path for you.

3. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into graduate school for math?

Aside from having a strong academic background, you can increase your chances of getting into graduate school for math by gaining research experience, taking advanced math courses, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, a well-written personal statement that showcases your passion for math and your potential for success can also make a difference.

4. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate degree to be eligible for graduate school in math?

No, most graduate programs in math do not require a specific undergraduate degree. However, having a degree in a related field such as mathematics, statistics, or engineering may be helpful in preparing you for the coursework and research in a graduate math program.

5. Is it possible to work while attending graduate school in math?

It is possible to work while attending graduate school in math, but it may be challenging to balance the workload of both commitments. Many graduate programs offer teaching or research assistantships that provide financial support while also allowing students to gain practical experience in their field. It is important to carefully consider your time management skills and workload before deciding to work while pursuing a graduate degree.