Grade 12 Data Management question, involving Combinations

In summary, the goal is to have each of the 19 students share a handshake with every other student in the classroom. The least number of circles required to achieve this is 3.
Hipparchus
I'm sorry, I didn't really know where to post this question, so I posted it here, because it is the closest to Data Management, I think.

There are 19 students in the classroom. The students are seated in a circle.
Each student shakes the hand of the person sitting to the left and the right of them.
You can change where the students sit.
The goal is to have each student share a handshake with every student in the classroom.

Find the LEAST number of different circles required in order for each student to have shared a handshake with every student.

I received this question on a test I took recently, so I do not know the correct answer.

I made two pathetic attempts at solving this question.

1: I calculated 19C2, in order to find how many handshakes must occur in total.
19C2 = 171.
I divided this number by 19 for every student in the classroom to get 9.
I only did this for the sake of writing something down, and because it seemed right. But, no logic.

2: I found the possible ways a circle could be formed with 19 students; 19!. And placing one student in every seat, and moving the others so that they do not come in contact with the same student more than once, but this seemed very long, and very difficult. And it doesn't seem like a logical approach to this question.

Thank you, in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
. The least number of circles required in order for each student to have shared a handshake with every student is 3. This can be achieved by having the students form three circles, with 6, 6, and 7 students respectively. Each student will then shake hands with the students to their left and right in each circle, resulting in every student having shaken hands with each other.

Related to Grade 12 Data Management question, involving Combinations

What is Data Management?

Data Management is the process of organizing, storing, and analyzing data to make informed decisions and achieve specific goals. It involves collecting and managing large amounts of data from various sources and using statistical methods to analyze and interpret the data.

What is a Combination in Data Management?

A combination in Data Management is a selection of items from a larger set without any regard to order. In other words, it is a grouping of items without considering their arrangement. Combinations are often used in Data Management to determine the number of possible outcomes or arrangements in a given situation.

How is a Combination different from a Permutation?

A combination differs from a permutation in that a permutation considers the order in which the items are arranged, while a combination does not. For example, the combination "AB" is the same as "BA", whereas in a permutation, these would be considered two different arrangements.

How do you calculate the number of Combinations?

The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items in each combination. For example, if there are 10 items and we want to select 5 of them, the number of combinations would be 10C5 = 10! / (5! * (10-5)!) = 252.

What are some real-world applications of Combinations in Data Management?

Combinations are used in various industries and fields such as finance, marketing, and sports. For example, in finance, combinations can be used to calculate the number of possible stock portfolios. In marketing, combinations can be used to determine the number of different advertising strategies. In sports, combinations can be used to analyze and predict the outcomes of different game scenarios.