Given vectors, constructing a matrix

In summary: In general, though, you should be fairly careful about the operations you perform and what the consequences will be.Essentially, you are dealing with either one matrix or its transpose. In your notation, you can easily fix any mistakes by adding the ^T to your matrix.Some applications, like the determinant (if your matrix is square), are the same either way, ## |A| = | A^T| ##.Others, like Ax = B, might have entirely different solutions. In general, though, you should be fairly careful about the operations you perform and what the consequences will be.
JesseJC

Homework Statement

Say you've been given vectors v1, v2 and v3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I construct a matrix out of these three vectors? Am I to use the given vectors as columns or rows in a matrix? When does this matter and when does it not? This may be a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer. My textbook constructs matrices in both ways, but I'm never clear as to why they construct them as columns or rows. Does it depend entirely on the context and goal of the question? If there's a clear answer for this, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the context.
I normally like them stacked in rows of I am treating them like a system.
The main thing is to keep track of your given information and make logical steps to your goal.

RUber said:
It depends on the context.
I normally like them stacked in rows of I am treating them like a system.
The main thing is to keep track of your given information and make logical steps to your goal.
So, during an exam you can ruin a question if you incorrectly set the vectors up, right?

JesseJC said:
during an exam you can ruin a question if you incorrectly set the vectors up, right?
Maybe it would be, for you may disorder what operations you are doing.
But just like it's mentioned above, you just have to think clearly and make logical steps toward your goal.

Do you have a particular application in mind? Have you recently had trouble with this?
Essentially, you are dealing with either one matrix or its transpose. In your notation, you can easily fix any mistakes by adding the ^T to your matrix.

Some applications, like the determinant (if your matrix is square), are the same either way, ## |A| = | A^T| ##.
Others, like Ax = B, might have entirely different solutions.

Related to Given vectors, constructing a matrix

1. What is a vector and how is it related to a matrix?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents magnitude and direction. It can be represented as a column or row of numbers. A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers that is made up of one or more vectors. Each vector in a matrix can be seen as a row or column in the matrix.

2. How do you construct a matrix from given vectors?

To construct a matrix from given vectors, you need to arrange the vectors in either rows or columns. Each vector should correspond to a row or column in the matrix. The number of columns in the matrix should be equal to the number of elements in each vector.

3. Can a matrix have more than one type of vector?

Yes, a matrix can have more than one type of vector. For example, a matrix can have a row of integers and a column of decimals. However, all the vectors in a matrix should have the same number of elements.

4. How can we use matrices and vectors in real-life applications?

Matrices and vectors are widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. They can be used to represent and solve systems of linear equations, analyze data, and perform transformations in computer graphics. They are also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

5. What are some common operations that can be performed on matrices and vectors?

Some common operations that can be performed on matrices and vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, matrix multiplication, finding determinants, and finding inverse matrices. These operations are essential in solving linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing transformations.