For which value of k are the vectors linearly dependent?

In summary: I was looking for a way to get a zero in the bottom row of my reduced matrix, and noticed that v1 = 2v2 - v3 is a valid equation.
kosovo dave
Gold Member

Homework Statement

v1=[1,0,1] v2=[1,1,2] v3=[1,2,k] <--Originally written as column vectors

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

None of the vectors look like multiples of each other to me...so time to row reduce.

Since each vector was written as a column vector, each row should correspond to a different variable.
I set up the augmented matrix:
1 1 1 0
1 2 k 0
0 1 2 0
(If I made an error at this point let me know. But since the vectors were originally represented as columns, I figured row 1 from each vector would form column 1 in the augmented matrix.)

row reduce:
1 0 -1 0
0 1 2 0
0 0 k-3 0

k=3 would give a row of all zeros at the bottom meaning that we would have a free variable right? Therefore the vectors should be linearly dependent for k=3? I know linear dependence is more formally defined by having a linear equation like c1v1+ c2v2 +c3v3 = 0, where the weights are non-zero, but it's also my understanding that the presence of a free variable indicates linear dependence.

Physics news on Phys.org
kosovo dave said:

Homework Statement

v1=[1,0,1] v2=[1,1,2] v3=[1,2,k] <--Originally written as column vectors

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

None of the vectors look like multiples of each other to me...so time to row reduce.

Since each vector was written as a column vector, each row should correspond to a different variable.
I set up the augmented matrix:
1 1 1 0
1 2 k 0
0 1 2 0
No, your matrix is wrong. v1 should be the first column, v2 the second column, and v3 the third colum. You don't need a fourth column, as it would be all zeros and won't change, so it doesn't hurt to omit it.

The matrix represents the equation Ac = 0, where the columns of A are the vectors [v1 v2 v3] and c represents a column vector of the three constants.

Edit: Actually, your matrix will work - it just has rows two and three switched. I didn't realize at first that you did that.
kosovo dave said:
(If I made an error at this point let me know. But since the vectors were originally represented as columns, I figured row 1 from each vector would form column 1 in the augmented matrix.)

row reduce:
1 0 -1 0
0 1 2 0
0 0 k-3 0

k=3 would give a row of all zeros at the bottom meaning that we would have a free variable right? Therefore the vectors should be linearly dependent for k=3? I know linear dependence is more formally defined by having a linear equation like c1v1+ c2v2 +c3v3 = 0, where the weights are non-zero, but it's also my understanding that the presence of a free variable indicates linear dependence.
Yes.

Assuming that k = 3, the bottom row is all zeros, as you said. The rest of the reduced matrix says that
c1 = c3
c2 = -2c3
c3 is arbitrary

Since c3 is arbitrary, let's arbitrarily set it to 1, so c1 = 1, c2 = -2.
Notice that 1*v1 - 2*v2 + 1*v3 = 0. Since the constants in this equation are not all zero, then we conclude that the vectors v1, v2, and v3 are linearly dependent.

Another way to see this is to note that v1 = 2v2 - v3, so v1 is a linear combination of the other two. You can solve for any of the vectors in terms of the other two.

Last edited:
Likes kosovo dave
I just caught that. I will try again and report my answer.

Okay so I set the matrix up correctly this time (hopefully):
1 1 1 0
0 1 2 0
1 2 k 0

which still reduces to

1 0 -1 0
0 1 2 0
0 0 k-3 0

kosovo dave said:
I just caught that. I will try again and report my answer.
Check my post again - I made an edit and also added quite a bit.

Thanks for the quick and thorough response @Mark44 ! In general though, it's probably just easier to "jam" the given column vectors v1, v2, v3 together into a matrix, right?

Also, did you immediately notice that v1 = 2v2 - v3? Or was it plugging values in for c1, c2, c3 that allowed you to see that?

kosovo dave said:
Thanks for the quick and thorough response @Mark44 ! In general though, it's probably just easier to "jam" the given column vectors v1, v2, v3 together into a matrix, right?
Yes, that makes more sense.
kosovo dave said:
Also, did you immediately notice that v1 = 2v2 - v3? Or was it plugging values in for c1, c2, c3 that allowed you to see that?
No, I didn't notice that right away.

Likes kosovo dave

Related to For which value of k are the vectors linearly dependent?

1. What does it mean for vectors to be linearly dependent?

When vectors are linearly dependent, it means that one or more of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. In other words, there is at least one vector in the set that is not necessary to span the vector space.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors are linearly dependent?

To determine if a set of vectors are linearly dependent, you can use the linear dependence test. This involves setting up a system of equations with the vectors as coefficients and solving for the variables. If there is a non-trivial solution (where not all variables are equal to zero), then the vectors are linearly dependent.

3. What is the role of the value k in determining linear dependence?

The value k represents the scalar coefficients used in the linear combination of the vectors. When k takes on different values, it can change the linear dependence or independence of the vectors. For example, if k=0, then the vectors are linearly independent, but if k=1, then the vectors are linearly dependent.

4. Can a set of two vectors ever be linearly dependent?

Yes, a set of two vectors can be linearly dependent. This occurs when one of the vectors is a multiple of the other, meaning that the vectors lie on the same line in the vector space.

5. How can knowing the value of k help me solve a problem involving linear dependence?

Knowing the value of k can help you determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent or independent. It can also help you find the specific linear combination of the vectors that results in a dependent set. In addition, knowing the value of k can help you solve for the variables in the linear dependence test and determine if a solution exists.