How have they calculated these pseudoinverses?

• Thread starter kostoglotov
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of A^+A and AA^+ matrices using singular value decomposition and their relationship to the fundamental subspaces of A and A^+. The purpose of calculating these matrices is to check the results and they give orthogonal projections onto the row and column spaces of A respectively. It is noted that the formula for A^+A is incorrect due to a misapprehension about the definition of A^+.
kostoglotov
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing.
fieHb7f.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/fieHb7f.png

UpDPZ6K.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/UpDPZ6K.jpg

Solution:

gUHCb1u.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/gUHCb1u.png

I can see that [itex]A^+A[/itex] and [itex]AA^+[/itex] are matrices that project onto the column and row space respectively.

But

(i) where does the [itex]A^+[/itex] figure into the calculation, because those answers are not A matrix-multiplied by [itex]A^+[/itex] or [itex]A^+[/itex] matrix-multiplied by A?

(ii) if [itex]A^+[/itex] isn't used to find the last two answers, why calculate it in the first place, what purpose does it serve? I could just find the column and row space basis vectors by other methods and construct those last two answers accordingly.

(iii) why are those answers given in the form that they are? wouldn't [itex]A^+A[/itex] be just as good given as

[tex]A^+A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\2 & 4\end{bmatrix}[/tex] ?

Matrix ##A^+## was computed using singular value decomposition.
You are asked how the fundamental subspaces of ##A## and of ##A^+## are related.
Concerning your questions:
(i) Check your calculations, the given matrices are exactly ##A^+A## and ##AA^+##;
(ii) This is a way to check your results. According to the theory ##A^+A## and ##AA^+## give you orthogonal projections onto row and column spaces of ##A## respectively (in fact, these conditions define ##A^+## uniquely), so computing these projections using other methods you can check your answer.
(iii) your formula for ##A^+A## is wrong, how did you get it?

Hawkeye18 said:
Matrix ##A^+## was computed using singular value decomposition.
You are asked how the fundamental subspaces of ##A## and of ##A^+## are related.
Concerning your questions:
(i) Check your calculations, the given matrices are exactly ##A^+A## and ##AA^+##;
(ii) This is a way to check your results. According to the theory ##A^+A## and ##AA^+## give you orthogonal projections onto row and column spaces of ##A## respectively (in fact, these conditions define ##A^+## uniquely), so computing these projections using other methods you can check your answer.
(iii) your formula for ##A^+A## is wrong, how did you get it?

I thought A dagger was just 1/50 of A, but it's not, it's 1/50 of A transpose. Even after doing the SVD calculations, somehow this misapprehension snuck in.

Just a bit of blindness Matlab confirms.

Related to How have they calculated these pseudoinverses?

1. How are pseudoinverses calculated?

The calculation of pseudoinverses involves finding the inverse of a matrix, which is a mathematical operation that involves finding a matrix that, when multiplied with the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. This can be done using various methods, such as the Moore-Penrose pseudoinverse or the singular value decomposition method.

2. What is the purpose of calculating pseudoinverses?

Pseudoinverses are used to solve linear systems of equations that do not have a unique solution. They are also useful in data analysis and machine learning algorithms, as they can help to find the best-fit solution for a given set of data.

3. How accurate are pseudoinverses?

The accuracy of pseudoinverses depends on the method used to calculate them and the properties of the matrix being inverted. In some cases, pseudoinverses can be exact solutions, while in others, they may only be approximations. However, they are generally considered to be highly accurate.

4. Can pseudoinverses be calculated for any matrix?

Yes, pseudoinverses can be calculated for any matrix, as long as it meets certain conditions. For example, the matrix must have a certain number of rows and columns, and it must have full rank (i.e. all of its rows and columns must be linearly independent).

5. How are pseudoinverses used in real-world applications?

Pseudoinverses are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They have applications in solving systems of linear equations, signal processing, data analysis, and image processing, among others. They are also commonly used in machine learning algorithms, such as linear regression and artificial neural networks.