Give some suggestions about minor

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's major in physics and their struggles with finding a job after college. They express frustration with the requirements for most careers in physics and engineering, as well as their dislike for programming after taking one semester of computer science. The conversation then moves on to discussing minor options that could lead to better job prospects, such as actuarial work with a math or statistics minor. The speaker also mentions the importance of internships, career counseling, and researching job opportunities early on. They also mention that computer science classes tend to improve near the end of the second semester.
HTT
My major is physics, and this is my second year of college. I looked those jobs on AIP and it really makes me nervous... Why most careers need PhD physics and Engineering?! :L I'm frustrated right now. I took one semester of computer science; I found that programming is not my thing. :mad:Give me some suggestions about minor so that I have better chance to get a job after 4 years colloge. Thank you all~ ! o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)o0)Oh~ and two more things, what is the best time to take a minor? What grade should I get so that my gdp will be high enough like 3.75..

Physics news on Phys.org
One programming class sounds like it could be a little premature to conclude it's not your thing. It's probably not too late to change your major to engineering. Computer science is one of the few minors that's worth anything.

You could look into being an actuary, with a math or statistics minor. It should be possible to avoid programming with that career path, but you can make a lot of money. It can be a little tough to break into, though.

If I were you, I'd make sure to get internships and start reading about how to search for a job and see a career counselor at some point. That's just as important, if not more important than taking classes. I've been looking for a job for about a year now, and basically, they make it as difficult as possible for someone without experience to get hired. It's like this massive puzzle you have to try to solve. It's better to start on it as early as you can. Also, find out about what the jobs are actually like. Do informational interviews.

The good stuff in computer science doesn't start until near the end of the second semester. I felt the same way at first but the last month of my second semester class changed my whole perspective.

Related to Give some suggestions about minor

What is considered a minor?

A minor is a secondary area of study or concentration that a student can choose to pursue in addition to their major or primary area of study.

Why should I consider choosing a minor?

Choosing a minor can provide a well-rounded education and can complement your major or career goals. It can also show employers that you have a diverse skill set and can handle multiple subject areas.

Can I have more than one minor?

Generally, yes. However, it is important to check with your specific university or college to see if there are any restrictions on the number of minors allowed.

How do I choose a minor?

Consider your interests, career goals, and how a minor can enhance your major. You can also speak with an academic advisor for guidance on selecting a minor that aligns with your academic and career plans.

Can I change my minor?

Yes, you can typically change your minor at any time during your academic career. However, it is important to check with your university or college to see if there are any specific deadlines or procedures for changing minors.