Need help deciding on MSEE Track

• Thread starter austinmw89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the student is seeking advice on which track to choose for their MSEE program. They are considering the Sensing and Information track, the Solid-State Circuits, Devices, and Materials track, the Bioelectrical track, the Systems and Control track, the Computational and Cyberphysical Systems track, and the Computer Engineering hardware track. They are looking for advice on which track will have the most job opportunities in the future. The forum member provides insights on the job market and suggests that the Sensing and Information track, the Solid-State Circuits, Devices, and Materials track, the Bioelectrical track, and the Computer Engineering hardware track are all good options to consider. Ultimately, the forum member recommends choosing a track that
austinmw89
Hi all. I'm finishing up my undergraduate courses this semester and starting my MSEE program in the spring. I'm having trouble deciding which track to choose. My advisor has just told me to take whatever courses seem interesting, but I'd also like to make sure I focus on something that will actually get me a job when I graduate. At first I was interested in VLSI since I enjoyed my circuits and electronics courses, but I keep hearing that job opportunities are drying up for this in the US. So, would anyone with industry knowledge please take a look at these track listings and help me get an idea of where the market is headed and what would fair well for future employment? I'm going to need to pay back all these student loans at some point! o0)

These are all the tracks I'm considering:

In Electrical Engineering:
Sensing and Information
Solid-State Circuits, Devices, and Materials
Bioelectrical
Systems and Control
Computational and Cyberphysical Systems

In Computer Engineering:
Hardware

I keep hearing about this whole "Internet of Things", so I'm leaning toward going for the Sensing and Information track along with taking a couple of courses in robotics to get the robotics specialization on my transcript and maybe taking some courses in mixed signal IC design too. Close seconds would be the computer engineering hardware track or the EE solid state, devices, and materials track with a lot of analog/RF IC design. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Congratulations on completing your undergraduate courses and pursuing your MSEE degree! It's great that you are considering different tracks and seeking advice on which one to choose. As a scientist with industry knowledge, I would be happy to provide some insights.

Firstly, it's important to note that the job market is constantly changing and it's difficult to predict which track will have the most opportunities in the future. However, there are a few factors you can consider while making your decision.

The "Internet of Things" (IoT) is definitely a growing field and there is a high demand for professionals with skills in sensing and information. This track would also be beneficial if you are interested in robotics, as you mentioned. The combination of sensing, information, and robotics can open up opportunities in various industries such as healthcare, automotive, and manufacturing.

The Solid-State Circuits, Devices, and Materials track is also a good choice, especially if you are interested in analog/RF IC design. This field is constantly evolving and there is always a need for professionals with expertise in this area. Additionally, with the rise of technologies such as 5G and autonomous vehicles, there will be a demand for engineers who can design and develop high-frequency and low-power circuits.

The Bioelectrical track is also an interesting option, as it combines engineering with biology and medicine. This field has a lot of potential for growth and can open up opportunities in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries.

In terms of the Computer Engineering hardware track, it is a good option if you are interested in designing computer systems and components. This track can lead to job opportunities in industries such as computer hardware development, data centers, and cloud computing.

Ultimately, I would recommend choosing a track that aligns with your interests and strengths. It's important to enjoy what you are studying and have a passion for it. This will not only make your studies more enjoyable, but it can also lead to better job opportunities in the long run.

I hope this helps in your decision-making process. Best of luck in your future studies and career!

Related to Need help deciding on MSEE Track

What are the different tracks available for an MSEE degree?

The most common tracks for an MSEE degree are Power and Energy Systems, Communications and Signal Processing, Control Systems, Microelectronics and VLSI Design, and Computer Engineering.

Which track should I choose for my MSEE degree?

The track you choose for your MSEE degree should align with your career goals and interests. Consider your strengths and weaknesses, as well as the job market demand for each track.

What courses are included in each MSEE track?

The specific courses included in each track may vary depending on the university. However, generally, Power and Energy Systems courses may include Power Electronics, Renewable Energy, and Smart Grids. Communications and Signal Processing courses may include Digital Signal Processing and Wireless Communications. Control Systems courses may include System Dynamics and Feedback Control. Microelectronics and VLSI Design courses may include Integrated Circuit Design and Semiconductor Devices. Computer Engineering courses may include Computer Architecture and Embedded Systems.

Can I switch tracks during my MSEE program?

It is possible to switch tracks during your MSEE program, but it may require additional time and coursework. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your track.

What career opportunities are available for each MSEE track?

Each MSEE track can lead to a variety of career opportunities. For example, Power and Energy Systems graduates may work in the energy industry, while Communications and Signal Processing graduates may work in the telecommunications industry. Control Systems graduates may work in industries such as aerospace and automotive. Microelectronics and VLSI Design graduates may work in the semiconductor industry, and Computer Engineering graduates may work in software development or hardware design.