Hi think, therefore Hi am. An introduction to 'Descartes'

• Thread starter Speakpigeon
  • Start date
In summary, "I think, therefore I am" is a famous quote by philosopher René Descartes that means the act of thinking proves one's existence. Descartes was a French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist known as the "Father of Modern Philosophy". This quote is significant in philosophy, specifically in metaphysics, and has influenced other concepts such as rationalism and the mind-body problem. It relates to Descartes' philosophy of skepticism and his method of doubt. "I think, therefore I am" is still relevant today and continues to spark discussions about the nature of the self and the mind.
Speakpigeon
Hi everybody!
I'm French and live in the Macronian world of Paris. I'm a bit retired to be honest but I'm actually trying to do something useful. And, usefulness will indeed be the point of my first (real) post here. So, watch out!
Like all of you, I'm essentially interested in life, but I also spend time thinking about 'philosophical' issues, like the hard problem of consciousness (hey, I can hear you cringe, you know!) , and also about logic. I did two years in maths and physics at the university here in Paris, which was unfortunately a very long time ago, and I had a class on logic at the time. Well, I got interested there and then. For the rest of my life! So, going into retirement, I thought I would revisit the subject. So, I'm working on that, if 'working' is at all the right term for what I'm doing. I may have a few posts on other sciency things but, essentially, it should be about logic. And, yes, usefulness.
After two years, I had to give up on the idea of becoming a scientist. Too bad, that. So, I'm not going to pretend I have any expertise on any scientific issue. I try to keep an eye on what you guys are doing but it's gone way beyond the layman's ability to keep up and understand, this stuff. And maybe I'll have a few posts on that as well.
Ah, I almost forgot. Why a Descartes avatar? Very simple. I take the Cogito to be a beautifully apt expression of the only thing I know. I even wonder how René could have guessed that about me! So, all the rest, I can only believe.
Still, I'm not here to discuss what I do or don't know, so you should all be safe from that at least.
Well, that will be all for now, folks. See you 'round here!
EB

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! All posts should be about "sciency" things. We have rules against creating philosophy threads. :smile:

And that's a good thing, too. You guys are obviously so completely hopeless about "philosophy" things! And I don't have that much time to explain things to ignoramuses anyway. :rolleyes:

Not even the philosophy of science? No, not even that! :frown:
EB

Nice too meet you too! :smile:

There are plenty of philosophy forums out there. We are physics forums :smile:

Sure. I'll be philosophical about it. :cool:
EB

Welcome to PF!

Please be aware that we are a Physics forum not a Philosophy forum and that our primary mission is to help students who study STEM subjects and who may have questions about what they are studying.

Also please take some time to read our guidelines (see link in my signature block) and realize that PF is a highly moderated forum. We don't discuss philosophical topics, speculative science or personal theories as these discussion tend to confuse our students. If you can abide by these guidelines then that's great otherwise you should consider looking for a place where you can freely discuss your philosophical musings.

Take care,
Jedi

No problem.
Still, apparently, I already crossed the invisible line into the Forbidden City of "philosophy", and this merely by using the one word "usefulness"! Ouch.
I would have expected philosophers not scientists to be so very sensitive about the idea of usefulness. Isn't this website, and science more generally, all about usefulness? Beats me.
Still, I'm particularly zen these days so I will rephrase.
Please note, as I already explained, I'm really not here to discuss philosophical things.
I'm doing a personal research on logic and it would help if I could engage in relation to that.
Unless this website isn't really about physics but merely about studying physics?
Thank you for being patient.
EB

Speakpigeon said:
Unless this website isn't really about physics but merely about studying physics?
We're a mainstream science education community

So, I fail to see where would be the problem with me using the word "usefulness" in the context of "a mainstream science education community".
Someone around here seems to have a very, very short fuse...
Maybe he could take a quiet moment to reflect on how to interact in a normal way with posters.
EB

Speakpigeon said:
No problem.

EB
But how can the website be about physics without STUDYING physics? "Merely" studying physics is what separates those that know and understand physics from those that just use the results of physics.

Please keep discussions in the main forums. We try to keep the New Member Introduction forum just for brief introductory posts, not discussions. Thanks. :smile:

1. What is the meaning behind "I think, therefore I am"?

The phrase "I think, therefore I am" is a famous quote by the philosopher René Descartes. It is also known as "Cogito, ergo sum" in Latin. It means that the very act of thinking proves one's existence. In other words, if one is capable of thinking, then they must exist.

2. Who is René Descartes?

René Descartes (1596-1650) was a French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist. He is often referred to as the "Father of Modern Philosophy" and made significant contributions to the fields of mathematics, physics, and philosophy. His most famous works include "Meditations on First Philosophy" and "Discourse on the Method".

3. What is the significance of "I think, therefore I am" in philosophy?

"I think, therefore I am" is considered a fundamental principle in philosophy, specifically in the branch of philosophy known as metaphysics. It is Descartes' attempt to prove the existence of the self and the mind. This phrase has also influenced other philosophical concepts such as rationalism and the mind-body problem.

4. How does Descartes' quote relate to his philosophy?

Descartes' philosophy is based on skepticism, which is the idea of doubting everything until it can be proven with certainty. "I think, therefore I am" is Descartes' attempt to find something that cannot be doubted, as he believed that the existence of self and the mind were undeniable. This quote is also a starting point for Descartes' famous "method of doubt" in which he questioned all of his beliefs and knowledge.

5. Is "I think, therefore I am" still relevant today?

Yes, "I think, therefore I am" is still relevant today and is often quoted and referenced in various fields such as philosophy, psychology, and neuroscience. It continues to spark debates and discussions about the nature of the self and the mind. It also serves as a reminder to critically examine our beliefs and thoughts.