French Senate Approves a Ban on Burqas

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the French senate voted today to ban clothing that covers the face - burqas and naqabs are included in the ban. Most countries have some laws addressing the minimum clothing allowed, because of social norms. For example, in the US, it's not a good idea to walk into a convenience store, or a bank, wearing a ski mask. The difference, I think, is strongly related to the attitudes of people in these countries towards having government tell them what they can do.
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
It just reinforces the fact that Muslim women are the victims of oppression, IMO.

Generations of oppression... it's like listening to a full-blown Stockholm Syndrome victim go one. It's upsetting, but also hard to imagine that like the women who perform genital mutilations on their daughters that it's not a function of upbringing, cultural pressure, and... almost brainwashing.

Alt: I'm not trying to start an AU immigration debate, nor am I deeply knowledgeable about AU immigration policies beyond what I stated, which is why I made it clear it was an opinion. If you'd like to send me a PM, or start a thread on the subject I'd be happy to read any material you have to offer.

Jack21222 said:
I disagree. Some comments were off the mark, but I found few outright offensive.

Really ? We have a different view on offensive then (to be expected, I suppose). I found the following offensive too, to my family, my culture, and to the country (mine) that has offered these folk a better way of life.

- Islamic values are superior to ''flawed'' Western secular values
- By turning their backs on this flawed way of life, it is testament of the superiority of Islamic values over Western values.''

Also ..

- We dress like this because it is the command of Allah, not any man.''

I'm still wondering if there really is some prescription by the word of Allah, for women to dress in bags of black from head to toe. I thought it was merely along the lines of 'one should dress modestly' as indeed exists in the Judeo Christian (and I assume other) holy books. No doubt you'll point me to Allah's specific prescription in this regard, if such exists. In fact, now that I think of it, wasn't Islam devoid of the 'black bag' syndrome in it's first couple of centuries ? If so, it is hardly the word of one, omnific Allah !

Just like every other group? Almost every religion, ideology, and economic doctrine I can think of forms a politically active group in whatever culture they find themselves in. I, for one, am comfortable with this.

Is this reason to ignore it ? I for another, am not comfortable with it. It is also interesting that other religions, races, etc, coming into another country, have historically successfully assimulated witht he existing culture, particularly after a generation or two. This does not seem to be the case with Muslims - in fact, the opposite seems to be happening.

No, I don't. (have wife, daughter ..)

If you did, you might also have an appreciation of the GREAT offence caused in referring to them as a commodity to be 'bought and sold, (and who have) little or no dignity, respect and honour, and are highly prone to rape and domestic violence'

(Incidentally, for rape and violence, look up Muslim 'dancing boys' (Bacha Bazi, I think they call them) - a delicacy for some gung ho Islamic war lords, and upper crust types, I hear.)

I agree with you that the quote is over-the-top. I disagree that it's the prevailing Muslim attitude. I disagree that it's unique to Islam, or even representative of most Muslims. I've seen Christians say the SAME THING as what you quoted. I recently saw an example over at PZ Myers' blog which I'm too lazy to dig up at the moment. I've also seen Muslim women embrace Western culture.

I believe it IS the prevailing Muslim attitude. At one end of the spectrum, we might have the more moderate (as per your last sentence, above), and at the other, the more militant, terrorist type. But 2,000 people were at this meeting, and I'll bet not one spoke in protest of it. There was a discussion program on TV about this issue last night (Lateline, SBS TV). Without exception, the aforementioned attitude did in fact prevail within all the Muslim participants.

You're making the same mistake that the Muslim speaker you quoted is making.

That being the case, why do you chastise me for it, but not the Muslim speaker ?

You're setting up a false dichotomy between Islam and the West. Just because this one Muslim says something doesn't mean you have to buy into it.

It wasn't just this one Muslim. As I said above, it was a meeting of 2,000 listening to, and presumably, sympathetic to the comments. Multiply this by any number of similar meetings, and some more strident than this one.

It's up to you to demonstrate that the speakers in the article reflect the "prevailing Muslim attitude." I personally know and have known a good number Muslims that certainly do not agree with what you call the "prevailing attitude."

My friend, I too know a great number of Muslim people. On average, I would say that they DO think along the lines as typified in the article, with of course, the extremities at each end. I come from a very ethnic background myself, and have, and have had, considerable exposure to this.

If you want to play the "quote a fundamentalist" game, I'll bet I can match you Christian for Muslim all night. But, I don't think this is the thread for that. I'll even bet I can find crazy Jewish fundamentalists to match you with quote for quote. If you want to step outside of religion, I can quote extreme right-wingers or left-wingers all night, too.

This threads title ? French Senate Approves a Ban on Burqas

I posted and commented on the Australian Sydney morning Herald link, because it was remarkably related to the central issue on this thread.

You however, are free to decide what you choose to discuss here or anywhere else.

jarednjames said:
If the majority of people want something enough and you don't respond to it, then they'll simply switch political support to a party who will.

I'm not sure what France's constitution says, but in the United States they knowingly intentionally made a Bill of Rights to protect certain rights from "majority rule". The freedom of religion was one of them along with some others. It was meant so 95% of the population couldn't just say, "We don't want this minority religion, we have the majority so..." What does the U.K. say about anything similar to a bill of rights?

Someone said not all Muslims wear these types of clothing, so it's cultural. To put things into perspective, there are different denominations of Islam, just like all Christian denominations are not even the same. Do we have any actual data saying that there are no Islam denominations that have these types of dress codes? As far as useful information, it should be checked into so as to see if it's cultural or a particular religious denomination.

I don't know how they do it in the U.K. and France, but in the U.S. there needs to be "reasonable harm" for the government to infringe on religion, such as stopping blood transfusions for children. As far as relevant information for this thread, do we have any real data that these types of muslim clothing have an impact on crime, versus just some people "freaking out because of looks"?

I'm the type of person you likes to make sure I get my facts straight.

Jared, you use "indoctrinating women" as a reason to ban. To put things into perspective, it doesn't matter what religion you are, many out there are going to call you brainwashed because you're not their religion instead. Wouldn't that be playing favorites with religion?

I mean I hear other religions accusing Christianity of brainwashing their followers. For example, I heard this one who calls himself a pagan complaining that he grew up Christian and then changed religions. He was complaining how Christianity, Judaism, and Islam mess up their boys by circumsizing them, so that they're later personal life with their wife is very messed up. Yea yea yea, I get a headache from all these people always complaining about all the other religions.

alt said:
I believe it IS the prevailing Muslim attitude. At one end of the spectrum, we might have the more moderate (as per your last sentence, above), and at the other, the more militant, terrorist type.

Then it's your job to prove it. Or at the very least provide some supporting evidence a little stronger than anecdotes.

But 2,000 people were at this meeting, and I'll bet not one spoke in protest of it.

What's 2,000 divided by 1,000,000,000?

That being the case, why do you chastise me for it, but not the Muslim speaker ?

The Muslim speaker isn't in this thread.

Jack21222 said:
Then it's your job to prove it. Or at the very least provide some supporting evidence a little stronger than anecdotes.

My 'anecdote' was in response to the Muslin anecdote in the article linked, that ..

- By turning their backs on this flawed way of life, it is testament of the superiority of Islamic values over Western values.''

Are you not questioning THOSE anecdotes, or don't you take them as anacdotes ?

What's 2,000 divided by 1,000,000,000?

Emmm .. that's just .. nonsense, and wrong at that, for world Muslim population is closer to 1.6B;

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Global-Muslim-population-hits-157-billion-Report/articleshow/5101282.cms

That's about one in four persons on this planet - and rising !

The Muslim speaker isn't in this thread.

Ah, OK - that makes sense (lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
physicsdude30 said:
Jared, you use "indoctrinating women" as a reason to ban. To put things into perspective, it doesn't matter what religion you are, many out there are going to call you brainwashed because you're not their religion instead. Wouldn't that be playing favorites with religion?

To the indoctrination argument in general I would say that an aweful lot of people seem to be indoctrinated to believe that they ought to where clothes in general, that penises and vagina are "dirty", and sex is "naughty". Pointing to any cultural custom and decrying it as "indoctrination" is pretty well ridiculous.

Alt said:
I'm still wondering if there really is some prescription by the word of Allah, for women to dress in bags of black from head to toe. I thought it was merely along the lines of 'one should dress modestly' as indeed exists in the Judeo Christian (and I assume other) holy books. No doubt you'll point me to Allah's specific prescription in this regard, if such exists. In fact, now that I think of it, wasn't Islam devoid of the 'black bag' syndrome in it's first couple of centuries ? If so, it is hardly the word of one, omnific Allah !
There are the religious books and then the books of religious law (similar to Judaism) which are supposedly derived or inspired from the religious texts. These laws are interpreted differently by different people, of course. From what I have read the Burqa comes from a story (or fact) that Muhammad kept his wives veiled so that no other man might look upon them and lust after them. It is apparently seen as a matter of protection from the untoward advances of men. A woman wearing a Burqa is considered to be emulating the modesty of the wives of Muhammad. In some cultures it has become a standard interpretation of the modesty demanded by the Qur'an.

TheStatutoryApe said:
There are the religious books and then the books of religious law (similar to Judaism) which are supposedly derived or inspired from the religious texts. These laws are interpreted differently by different people, of course. From what I have read the Burqa comes from a story (or fact) that Muhammad kept his wives veiled so that no other man might look upon them and lust after them. It is apparently seen as a matter of protection from the untoward advances of men. A woman wearing a Burqa is considered to be emulating the modesty of the wives of Muhammad. In some cultures it has become a standard interpretation of the modesty demanded by the Qur'an.

Thanks TSA - that was very clear. So like most religious things, it is mans interpretation, rather than the word of God / Allah.

alt said:
My 'anecdote' was in response to the Muslin anecdote in the article linked, that ..

Are you not questioning THOSE anecdotes, or don't you take them as anacdotes ?

Those aren't anecdotes, those are opinions. EVERYBODY believes their values are superior to everybody else's values. Otherwise, they would have different values, right?

Emmm .. that's just .. nonsense, and wrong at that, for world Muslim population is closer to 1.6B;

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Global-Muslim-population-hits-157-billion-Report/articleshow/5101282.cms

It was an order-of-magnitude estimate. There probably weren't exactly 2,000 people at that rally, either.

I guess those are my 2 main points.

1) Everybody believes their values are the best. I don't get offended when somebody admits it, just like I wouldn't expect them to get offended when I say my values are the best. It just seems weird to single out Islam.

2) Pointing at 2x10^3 people in a group consisting of 1.6x10^9 and claiming that the small subset is representative of the group as a whole is nonsense, especially when that subset was self-selected due to things they have in common.

Even if there were 1000 such rallies across the world, and there was no overlapping in between them, meaning TWO MILLION fundamentalist extremists, that is still THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE smaller than the whole group.

If you want to claim that there are ONE HUNDRED SIXTY MILLION Muslim whackjobs out there, that still leaves 90% that aren't crazy. Personally, I'd say that 10% figure holds for about any religion, but that's just a number I just made up completely out of thin air, and you should pay no attention to it.

That brings me back to my first point in that I don't believe Islam is inherently any crazier than any other culture or religion. Crazy Jews throw rocks at people using electronics on the Sabbath, crazy Christians refuse all medical treatment for their children, etc.

This goes beyond religion, too. Animal rights advocates are 90% normal people, but you have that crazy 10% that firebombs research labs.

Again, my 90/10 estimate is just a VERY rough ballpark, I wouldn't linger on that too much. But I do think it's roughly constant throughout any group.

alt said:

That blows my mind. It wasn't that many years ago that it was just one billion...!

Jack21222 said:
Those aren't anecdotes, those are opinions. EVERYBODY believes their values are superior to everybody else's values. Otherwise, they would have different values, right?

It was an order-of-magnitude estimate. There probably weren't exactly 2,000 people at that rally, either.

I guess those are my 2 main points.

1) Everybody believes their values are the best. I don't get offended when somebody admits it, just like I wouldn't expect them to get offended when I say my values are the best. It just seems weird to single out Islam.

2) Pointing at 2x10^3 people in a group consisting of 1.6x10^9 and claiming that the small subset is representative of the group as a whole is nonsense, especially when that subset was self-selected due to things they have in common.

Even if there were 1000 such rallies across the world, and there was no overlapping in between them, meaning TWO MILLION fundamentalist extremists, that is still THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE smaller than the whole group.

If you want to claim that there are ONE HUNDRED SIXTY MILLION Muslim whackjobs out there, that still leaves 90% that aren't crazy. Personally, I'd say that 10% figure holds for about any religion, but that's just a number I just made up completely out of thin air, and you should pay no attention to it.

That brings me back to my first point in that I don't believe Islam is inherently any crazier than any other culture or religion. Crazy Jews throw rocks at people using electronics on the Sabbath, crazy Christians refuse all medical treatment for their children, etc.

This goes beyond religion, too. Animal rights advocates are 90% normal people, but you have that crazy 10% that firebombs research labs.

Again, my 90/10 estimate is just a VERY rough ballpark, I wouldn't linger on that too much. But I do think it's roughly constant throughout any group.

OK, well, I don't think there's anything more that I can add that I haven't said already.

CRGreathouse said:
That blows my mind. It wasn't that many years ago that it was just one billion...!

It's a surprising development. The Utube link I posted earlier extrapolates it into the near future.

spelling edit

I'm probably going to sound emo in saying this, but it's what I feel.
That Burqa is straight up ugly, it is demeaning to women & just beyond hideous.
Now you can wear w.e you want in "Quran-based Arabia" and your backward ideologies, but you're not coming in the heart of Paris, the heart of Western culture & ideology & stain my city with your "moral" values & beliefs, and at the end of the day, believe that I will go to hell, and it's Ok for you to stain my culture, I'm sorry but there is limits.
This is 21st century, I'm all for tolerance, but take your Burqa back in the desert, where it belongs, maybe it'll be useful there & protect you from the sand..

GTank7 said:
Now you can wear w.e you want in "Quran-based Arabia" and your backward ideologies, but you're not coming in the heart of Paris, the heart of Western culture & ideology & stain my city with your "moral" values & beliefs, and at the end of the day, believe that I will go to hell, and it's Ok for you to stain my culture, I'm sorry but there is limits.
This is 21st century, I'm all for tolerance, but take your Burqa back in the desert, where it belongs, maybe it'll be useful there & protect you from the sand..

Agree, except for the pro-tolerance disclaimer.

GTank7 said:

Obviously, a die hard fan of mini-skirts and hot pants.

Just a note about comments that Islam doesn't require burqas - it only requires that women dress modestly; therefore it must be cultural, etc. It's not even cultural. It's just human nature that a few will feel good if they outdo others in adhering to their religion - i.e. they dress more modestly than all their neighbors.

I'm sure many Christians believe in dressing modestly, as well. The standard "modestly" is left to individual interpretation. For some, a woman exposing her ankles might be immodest, or at least very risque. For others, modest might mean at least wearing underwear with their min-skirts just in case they have to bend over and pick something up.

The number of Muslim women that wear burqas is so small as to make this a completely insignificant issue in practice. Banning them only has symbolic value. The ban does France about as much good as a ban on buttoning the top button of your blouse or shirt.

BobG said:
The number of Muslim women that wear burqas is so small as to make this a completely insignificant issue in practice. Banning them only has symbolic value. The ban does France about as much good as a ban on buttoning the top button of your blouse or shirt.

Do you have any numbers? Is it 10? 10,000?

mugaliens said:
Do you have any numbers? Is it 10? 10,000?

Yes. In fact, I believe the numbers were mentioned earlier in the thread. In France, probably about 2,000 out of 6 million Muslims in France wear burqas.

Of course, someone else noted that that statistic might be misleading because some conservative Muslims don't like to have their wives seen in public, so there may be more unseen burqas. I was a little perplexed as to why women wearing burqas in their house would be offensive enough to be included in the debate, so I didn't comment on that post.

I guess to be fair, the comment about women wearing burqas that are unseen in public was following the line of banning burqas as a way to force Muslim women to be more liberated, at least in public (overlooking the fact that, if his comment was correct, it would probably have the effect of more Muslim women being held hostage in their own homes so the public couldn't see their wives less modestly attired). Presumably, if a Muslim woman was fined for wearing a burqa, her husband would wind up paying the fine and decide his wife should wear less modest attire - at which point his lack of fashion sense would cause him to give up completely and let his wife pick out her own clothes.

Last edited:
BobG said:
Yes. In fact, I believe the numbers were mentioned earlier in the thread. In France, probably about 2,000 out of 6 million Muslims in France wear burqas.

Of course, someone else noted that that statistic might be misleading because some conservative Muslims don't like to have their wives seen in public, so there may be more unseen burqas. I was a little perplexed as to why women wearing burqas in their house would be offensive enough to be included in the debate, so I didn't comment on that post.

I guess to be fair, the comment about women wearing burqas that are unseen in public was following the line of banning burqas to a way to force women to be more liberated, at least in public. Presumably, if a Muslim woman was fined for wearing a burqa, her husband would wind up paying the fine and decide his wife should wear less modest attire - at which point his lack of fashion sense would cause him to give up completely and let his wife pick out her own clothes.

.000333%... I don't care if you assume that represents 1 in ten women who actually wear a burqa, the result is still absurd justification for a law. I'm with Evo on this issue in general, but the solution isn't a law like this, it's cultural reform. For those cultural relativists out there, of which I am nearly one... the answer is: because. :smile:

What I find strange is that people in this thread argue that the burqa ban is an anti-Islamic reaction by the French, in order to stop immigration or to 'scare away' people of Islamic faith. At the same time it is mentioned that the number of Islamic women that wear a burqa is very low, even in the countries where the majority of the population is Islamic! Is this some kind of irrational anti-anti-Islamic argument? Clearly the burqa does not represent the majority of Islamic culture.

It is a ban against being unrecognizable in public, I find that a most reasonable law. We all abide to laws of decency, if you don't follow them you will find yourself being fined really quickly.

Monique said:
It is a ban against being unrecognizable in public, I find that a most reasonable law. We all abide to laws of decency, if you don't follow them you will find yourself being fined really quickly.
I agree with you on a matter of reason. On a matter of emotion, this very thread confirms my feeling that the reason for the law is merely to distract the attention of the public for political purposes. It is not a very useful law (it concerns only very few women in France) but it triggers intense debates and noise.

Monique said:
What I find strange is that people in this thread argue that the burqa ban is an anti-Islamic reaction by the French, in order to stop immigration or to 'scare away' people of Islamic faith. At the same time it is mentioned that the number of Islamic women that wear a burqa is very low, even in the countries where the majority of the population is Islamic! Is this some kind of irrational anti-anti-Islamic argument? Clearly the burqa does not represent the majority of Islamic culture.

While it would certainly raise my chances of being stopped by a police officer, this is specifically about religious headgear, so no, I don't believe it's a public safety issue. I think it's reactionary, because it is one of the few highly visible signs that someone is Muslim (of some flavor), much as peyos, a funny hat and such mark the Hasidim. A man with a beard could be Muslim, or he could just have a beard, and a skullcap/keppi/yarmulke... can't be touched because it is, in the end, a kind of hat. This comes down to, "What visible difference makes us uncomfortable that we can go after"... this is it.

Monique said:

Let's say a non-binding resolution is passed which just says "Muslims are retarded". It doesn't actually do anything at all, and by the letter of the law affects nobody, but you would be hard pressed to say that this would not affect Muslims in any way.

If a law is passed for the purpose of attacking Islam, regardless of how effective it is at doing so, then yes, it's an anti-Islamic reaction. Questions of its physical effectiveness when examining the issue are secondary to questions of its intent

humanino said:
I agree with you on a matter of reason. On a matter of emotion, this very thread confirms my feeling that the reason for the law is merely to distract the attention of the public for political purposes. It is not a very useful law (it concerns only very few women in France) but it triggers intense debates and noise.
The attention that it is getting in the media may be disproportionate, but I still think that the basis of the law is valid.

nismaratwork said:
While it would certainly raise my chances of being stopped by a police officer, this is specifically about religious headgear, so no, I don't believe it's a public safety issue. I think it's reactionary, because it is one of the few highly visible signs that someone is Muslim (of some flavor), much as peyos, a funny hat and such mark the Hasidim. A man with a beard could be Muslim, or he could just have a beard, and a skullcap/keppi/yarmulke... can't be touched because it is, in the end, a kind of hat. This comes down to, "What visible difference makes us uncomfortable that we can go after"... this is it.
According to the CNN article: "The French Senate approved Tuesday a law banning any veils that cover the face". It doesn't state anything about religious headgear. I'm fine with people wearing headscarves or any other headgear, covering your face is something entirely different and you cannot ignore that.

Monique said:

It would never pass in the US. Out of the 435 Congressmen in the House of Representatives, there would surely have to be at least one that would add a rider to this bill - a rider that would ban bras, seeing as how men only look at one thing and bras tend to make one breast look just like another.

At least I would, anyway, but I'd probably never get elected in the first place, let alone re-elected.

Charlie Wilson would have, I'll bet. :smile:

Office_Shredder said:
Let's say a non-binding resolution is passed which just says "Muslims are retarded". It doesn't actually do anything at all, and by the letter of the law affects nobody, but you would be hard pressed to say that this would not affect Muslims in any way.

If a law is passed for the purpose of attacking Islam, regardless of how effective it is at doing so, then yes, it's an anti-Islamic reaction. Questions of its physical effectiveness when examining the issue are secondary to questions of its intent

I don't see how this has anything to do with it. It is your idea that "a law is passed for the purpose of attacking Islam". Do you feel shaken to your core, because it is against the law to walk around in the public naked?
BobG said:
It would never pass in the US. Out of the 435 Congressmen in the House of Representatives, there would surely have to be at least one that would add a rider to this bill - a rider that would ban bras, seeing as how men only look at one thing and bras tend to make one breast look just like another.
Right, I'm sure you are aware that you are already bound legally to a dress code: no public exposure of genitals and/or breasts. Should we get rid of those laws as well?

Monique said:
The attention that it is getting in the media may be disproportionate, but I still think that the basis of the law is valid.

According to the CNN article: "The French Senate approved Tuesday a law banning any veils that cover the face". It doesn't state anything about religious headgear. I'm fine with people wearing headscarves or any other headgear, covering your face is something entirely different and you cannot ignore that.

You're right about the letter of the law, but it doesn't match the reasons given by its architects. I'd add that as long as someone is willing to remove a mask, veil, scarf, etc upon demand by a law officer, there should be no threat.

Sarkozy said:
“We cannot allow that, in our country, there are captive women behind bars who are shut out from social life and robbed of any identity."

Nothing to do with security.

Jean-Francois Cope said:
The full veil is not a piece of clothing but a mask worn permanently that constitutes a threat to our society. We cannot let the full veil cover the face of our Republic

Again, not security, and compare with the penalty for failure to comply with this law:

"The new legislation would see violators fined a maximum of $190. Offenders would also be required to take a “citizenship” course on republican values."

I think the burqa is an absurd outfit, and the concept behind it is, in my view, demeaning to women. That doesn't mean I can accept your personal spin on the law however... it has nothing to do with public safety: it is purely cultural.

If you want to play it that way: how do other laws not have anything to do with culture? A law against public nudity is cultural. If you go to an Islamic country, do you expect to be treated like a king when you wear slippers, shorts and no shirt? How about trying to wear that outfit to church? This is not something that is exclusive for burqas: it is all around you.

Monique said:
If you want to play it that way: how do other laws not have anything to do with culture? A law against public nudity is cultural. If you go to an Islamic country, do you expect to be treated like a king when you wear slippers, shorts and no shirt? How about trying to wear that outfit to church? This is not something that is exclusive for burqas: it is all around you.

I never said that this was the only law based on culture; I disagreed with your assertion that it was a law based on public safety. I have no need or desire to enter into a debate about other laws that aren't being discussed here.

Monique said:
A law against public nudity is cultural. If you go to an Islamic country, do you expect to be treated like a king when you wear slippers, shorts and no shirt? How about trying to wear that outfit to church?

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/INSIDE-A-NAKED-CHURCH-85062392.html

Had to be done!

nismaratwork said:
I never said that this was the only law based on culture; I disagreed with your assertion that it was a law based on public safety. I have no need or desire to enter into a debate about other laws that aren't being discussed here.
Too bad, because they are related.
jarednjames said:

Had to be done!
As long as they don't do it in public! :smile:

jarednjames said:

Had to be done!

MY EYES! THEY BURN!

I'm telling you, nudists are NEVER the people you want to see naked. :cry:

Monique said:
Too bad, because they are related.

Yes, they are, and if you make a thread about the validity of laws meant to enforce specific cultural norms, count me in, but that's not this thread. I like to deal with one issue at a time in these situations, otherwise the debate tends to go nowhere.

jarednjames said:

Had to be done!

Why didn't they have a nude Jesus?