Forum Game - Where's That Landmark? Part 2

In summary, Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute. Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute.
xdcpl.png

Physics news on Phys.org
2rms9oy.png

OK, that clue made it too easy! However, I don't have another landmark ready at the moment, and I have to start work right now, so I'm happy for someone else to try to answer. If I have time later and no-one else has answered I might reconsider.

I had already deduced that it was almost certainly in a particular European country because the blue pedestrians sign varies between different countries (see Wikipedia article on Comparison of European Road Signs), and it appeared to be in a village because of the low houses and open spaces. I was therefore searching for houses where famous people had lived in the relevant country. The name implied by your new clue was on the list, so I might have got there eventually with sufficient patience!

Anyway, I found the same view on Google Street View, and if the resolution had been any better one would have been able to read what it was on the sign on the right of the picture.

Jonathan Scott said:
OK, that clue made it too easy! However, I don't have another landmark ready at the moment, and I have to start work right now, so I'm happy for someone else to try to answer. If I have time later and no-one else has answered I might reconsider.

I had already deduced that it was almost certainly in a particular European country because the blue pedestrians sign varies between different countries (see Wikipedia article on Comparison of European Road Signs), and it appeared to be in a village because of the low houses and open spaces. I was therefore searching for houses where famous people had lived in the relevant country. The name implied by your new clue was on the list, so I might have got there eventually with sufficient patience!

Anyway, I found the same view on Google Street View, and if the resolution had been any better one would have been able to read what it was on the sign on the right of the picture.

Ha! I found it just prior to your post, but decided against answering for the same reason. (No landmark ready :frown: And had I answered, it would have been almost word for word your comments above. )

Anyways, it's the birthplace of Gregor Mendel.

wiki said:
Hynčice (Czech pronunciation: [ˈɦɪntʃɪtsɛ], German: Heinzendorf bei Odrau) is a little Silesian village, administratively part of Vražné municipality...

Czech Republic.

When I saw that it was in Silesia, I went straight to Google Earth, and found that it's only 160 km from where my mom grew up.

pf.wtlm.2014.08.27.0732.wheres.oms.mom.from.jpg

Jonathan Scott said:

I made sure the resolution didn't allow that :biggrin:.

OmCheeto said:
Ha! I found it just prior to your post, but decided against answering for the same reason. (No landmark ready :frown: And had I answered, it would have been almost word for word your comments above. )

Anyways, it's the birthplace of Gregor Mendel.

Czech Republic.

When I saw that it was in Silesia, I went straight to Google Earth, and found that it's only 160 km from where my mom grew up.

Yes indeed.

I knew this would be an easier one! But we might have new people watching so I didn't want to give a Borek-level challenge.

lisab said:
... I didn't want to give a Borek-level challenge.

This might be a Borek-level challenge.

pf.wtlm.2014.08.27.1030.jpg

Somewhat related to the last landmark. :rolleyes:

Related in a, Fem-Biblio-Genesis-Dyslexic way...

ps. As with my "how long is Om going to wait until he gives us another clue" post, I'll accept the name of the city.

Not only that, I'll accept the name of the oblast, and even region, given that it was once the capital.

OmCheeto said:
Related in a, Fem-Biblio-Genesis-Dyslexic way...

ps. As with my "how long is Om going to wait until he gives us another clue" post, I'll accept the name of the city.

Not only that, I'll accept the name of the oblast, and even region, given that it was once the capital.

It's the Tobolsk Kremlin. Tobolsk is the birthplace of Dmitri Mendeleev, who formulated the periodic table.

The use of the word "oblast" suggested Russia or similar, and in combination with "Mendel" that suggested "Mendeleev" to me. Sure enough, the town where Mendeleev was born was once the capital of Siberia, and the picture is of the Tobolsk Kremlin.

Jonathan Scott said:
It's the Tobolsk Kremlin. Tobolsk is the birthplace of Dmitri Mendeleev, who formulated the periodic table.

The use of the word "oblast" suggested Russia or similar, and in combination with "Mendel" that suggested "Mendeleev" to me. Sure enough, the town where Mendeleev was born was once the capital of Siberia, and the picture is of the Tobolsk Kremlin.

Correct!

Fem-Biblio-Genesis = Eve
Eve + Dyslexic = "eev"

I actually googled for "Mendeleev' for lisab's puzzle, as I'm dreadfully bad with names. When I saw he was the "periodic table" guy, I knew it was the other one. Perhaps I suffer from scientistlexia? Or, maybe I'm just a scatterbrain. Anyways, your turn! :smile:

Dang and I thought it was the airport in Dallas.:redface: not really Nice ones guys and gals.

Another variation on a similar theme:
2uf56xl.jpg

This one isn't supposed to be difficult!

It's related to the one before last (in a similar way to the last one) but less connected with peas and more with Peaseblossom.

Jonathan Scott said:
This one isn't supposed to be difficult!

It's related to the one before last (in a similar way to the last one) but less connected with peas and more with Peaseblossom.

I think everyone is holding back because the image can be found on the Google image lookup.:redface: Some street view images from Google maps can be found and some can't.:confused:

http://www.helligandskirken.dk/fra-kirkens-liv/sognerejse-2014-luther-bach-dresden/sognerejse-2014-luther-bach-dresden

It is the 8th picture down.

The landmark is unique considering you used the continuing theme of Mendel

Google is a strange beast at times. I found a panoramic picture of the inside of a landmark I was looking for. Google had sent a special team to take the panoramic picture. I did a screen capture of a part of the room and Google images couldn't find it even though the picture had a Google url.

It is fine with me, and I am sure with the rest of us, if you want to post another landmark. I certainly don't feel that I found this one fairly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grrr. I checked that my original cropped Street View image wasn't found by Google Image search (using right click in Chrome on a local copy, where it gave some similar buildings but not that one), but I cropped it differently before I uploaded it and that seems to have allowed it to find the image.

Yes, it's the Mendelssohn House in Leipzig, where he lived later in life. And the "Peaseblossom" reference is to his incidental music for "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

I'm happy for you to have the next turn, and thanks for pointing out my slip in that case.

Jonathan Scott said:
Grrr. I checked that my original cropped Street View image wasn't found by Google Image search (using right click in Chrome on a local copy, where it gave some similar buildings but not that one), but I cropped it differently before I uploaded it and that seems to have allowed it to find the image.

Yes, it's the Mendelssohn House in Leipzig, where he lived later in life. And the "Peaseblossom" reference is to his incidental music for "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

I'm happy for you to have the next turn, and thanks for pointing out my slip in that case.

I'm pretty sure I would have spent countless hours searching around Hamburg for Mendelssohn's birth place. Thank you, edward!

Some beautiful music, for our listening pleasure, while we are waiting for edward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDvZaMl4RU​

ps. I was sitting on my front porch the other night, and heard some live string chamber music coming from somewhere in the neighborhood. I've lived here for 25 years, and had never heard such a thing. I thought of you, Jonathan. :smile:

pps. Interesting read at wiki on "Chamber Music":
Beethoven
Ludwig van Beethoven straddled this period of change as a giant of western music. Beethoven transformed chamber music, raising it to a new plane, both in terms of content and in terms of the technical demands on performers and audiences. His works, in the words of Maynard Solomon, were "...the models against which nineteenth-century romanticism measured its achievements and failures." His late quartets, in particular, were considered so daunting an accomplishment that many composers after him were afraid to essay the medium; Johannes Brahms composed and tore up 20 string quartets before he dared publish a work that he felt was worthy of the "giant marching behind."

:bugeye: No! :cry:

Likes 1 person
There is a bit of booze in the landmark.

rj1bx1.jpg

edward said:
There is a bit of booze in the landmark.

rj1bx1.jpg

I will guess, the Jenever Museum, in Schiedam, The Netherlands.

But only because, I don't know what a "Winkel" is, and, it's FRIDAY! (hic!) :redface:

THE BOTTLE OF SCHIEDAM

MUSEUM BRANDERIJ COLLECTIE TENTOONSTELLING EDUCATIE WINKEL

[and then there's a bunch of of other Dutch words]

OmCheeto said:
I will guess, the Jenever Museum, in Schiedam, The Netherlands.

But only because, I don't know what a "Winkel" is, and, it's FRIDAY! (hic!) :redface:

Great find but no cigar. BTW the Schiedam was also distributed in New Zealand starting quite a few years ago.

The landmark also has other supplies, although I didn't see any microwave popcorn.

15db9s6.jpg

While the landmark was under construction the men lived in tents. There was a beautiful night sky according to this artists rendition and minus my ugly red circles.

14mgduw.jpg

The artist who created the original picture grew up only a few miles from where I grew up.

Strange, the bottle near Bird's Egg can is missing.

OmCheeto said:
I'm pretty sure I would have spent countless hours searching around Hamburg for Mendelssohn's birth place. Thank you, edward!

Some beautiful music, for our listening pleasure, while we are waiting for edward:

Thanks Om; I've already scheduled the Intermezzo, Nocturne and Scherzo from the same suite for one of our chamber orchestra concerts, on 7 Feb next year.

And yes, I wonder about those lost Brahms quartets. My wife and I have often played the surviving Brahms quartets (along with two other players, of course), and they are great works.

Borek said:
Strange, the bottle near Bird's Egg can is missing.

I see what you mean. It looks as if this "frozen in time" place is somewhat dynamic!

Jonathan Scott said:
The artist who created the original picture grew up only a few miles from where I grew up.

Really? I have ancestors who came from Chichester, just 14 miles away from where George was born.

Such a small world.

The occupants of the landmark apparently had a taste for bottled pickles.

rj2ntz.jpg

The last time the landmark was in the news several cases of really old whiskey were involved.

OmCheeto said:
Really? I have ancestors who came from Chichester, just 14 miles away from where George was born.

Such a small world.

I grew up in the village of Bedhampton, near Havant, and I now run the Havant Orchestras, where we have several players from the Chichester area, although I now live a bit further away, in the Valley Park area of Chandlers Ford near Eastleigh. For a while I went to Portsmouth Grammar School, which is in Old Portsmouth, right next to Southsea, where George grew up, although after that I went to Winchester instead. My father's line lived mostly in south Hampshire since about 1770, and my mother's paternal line also lived in Gosport, Portsmouth and Havant.

The man the landmark is named after also took along the first automobile to the area.

Google images is difficult to defeat. To get this image past Google I sprayed graffiti, and removed part of the driver.

Nothing worked until I removed the right front wheel and replaced it with one of my own design.:redface:

http://i62.tinypic.com/wbdtgp.jpg

edward said:
The man the landmark is named after also took along the first automobile to the area.

Google images is difficult to defeat. To get this image past Google I sprayed graffiti, and removed part of the driver.

Nothing worked until I removed the right front wheel and replaced it with one of my own design.:redface:

wbdtgp.gif

I think you're trying too hard. One can barely read that it says "Day with the Motor Car on the Sea Ice"!

As far as I know, I'm not related to the man who first took him there and later led the competing expedition.

This reminds me of the old "What's My Line" TV show.

Would your name be Scott?
Yes.
Would this place have been south of the equator?
Yes.
Were you trying to reach the south pole?
Yes.
Did you eat meals prepared with "Bird's concentrated egg powder", which was manufactured by the "Alfred Bird and Sons, Ltd" company of Birmingham England? And was the powder actually not made of eggs?
Yes, and yes.
Is this the website from which we determined that bottles have been moved?
Yes.

Is this the "Scott[/PLAIN] hut" on the Ross Island of Antarctica, used first by Scott and then later, by several of Shackleton's Ross Sea party?
Yes.

ps. One of the missing bottles, there were two, appears to have been labeled "Moir's Plum" something or other. Moir's is a South African company which is almost 100 years old:

The History of Moir's
Even Captain Robert Falcon Scott[no relation to Jonathan], on his heroic yet tragic expedition to the South Pole, was familiar with the name. When his abandoned base camp was discovered in the ice forty years later, cans of Moir's foods were found in perfect condition.

OmCheeto said:
Is this the "Scott[/PLAIN] hut" on the Ross Island of Antarctica, used first by Scott and then later, by several of Shackleton's Ross Sea party?

I've been assuming it's not the Scott Hut but rather Shackleton's Hut at Cape Royds.

Jonathan Scott said:
I've been assuming it's not the Scott Hut but rather Shackleton's Hut at Cape Royds.

I've never been there, but my cousin-in-law spent a summer at McMurdo Station. I'll see if I can get his opinion.

Last edited:
Jonathan Scott said:

You are correct sir. Shackleton took the first automobile to Antarctica. It will spend all eternity trapped in a crevace in the ice. In 2006 there were numerous cases of whiskey found under the floor of the Shackleton's hut.

Scott's hut is only 26 miles away.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-77.55...3m3!1sIOpxazFg6mE9O-qaLRC_uQ!2e0!3e2?hl=en-US

This is an interesting panoramic picture. You can even go in and out of the door.

OmCheeto said:
I've never been there, but my cousin-in-law spent a summer at McMurdo Station. I'll see if I can get his opinion.

I have a friend who wintered over at the "Old Byrd" station. That was the one that eventually collapsed under the weight of the snow. He was there in the early 60's to study the psychology of isolation for NASA.

Those old Antarctic stations sometimes move around.

Admiral Richard Byrd’s “Little America III” station, built in Antarctic in 1940, was spotted by a Navy icebreaker sticking out of the side of this floating iceberg in the Antarctic’s Ross Sea, on March 13, 1963. The old outpost was buried beneath 25 feet of snow, 300 miles away from its original location. A helicopter pilot flew in close and reported cans and supplies still stacked neatly on shelves.

There is a picture in the link.

http://www.wodumedia.com/50-years-ago-the-world-in-1963/admiral-richard-byrds-little-america-iii-station-built-in-antarctic-in-1940-was-spotted-by-a-navy-icebreaker-sticking-out-of-the-side-of-this-floating-iceberg-in-the-antarctics-ross-sea-on/

edward said:
You are correct sir. Shackleton took the first automobile to Antarctica. It will spend all eternity trapped in a crevace in the ice. In 2006 there were numerous cases of whiskey found under the floor of the Shackleton's hut.

Scott's hut is only 26 miles away.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-77.55...3m3!1sIOpxazFg6mE9O-qaLRC_uQ!2e0!3e2?hl=en-US

This is an interesting panoramic picture. You can even go in and out of the door.

Drats!

I was so sure of myself...

hmmm...

They sure do look alike.

pf.wtlm.2014.08.30.Shackletons.Hut.jpg

:confused: :rolleyes:

pf.wtlm.2014.08.30.Scotts.Hut.jpg

Perhaps they had the same architect.

wiki said:
Scott's Hut was prefabricated in England before being brought south by ship.