Formula for credit card balance as a function of payments

In summary, the conversation was about finding the financial formula for calculating the balance of a credit card debt over time. The formula involves compound interest and the variables of loan balance, payment, interest rate, and number of periods. It was suggested to look for the compound interest calculation and to solve for n using logarithms. However, solving for r can be difficult for higher values of n.
barryj
I have been trying to find the financial formula that will give the balance of a credit card debt as a function of time. Example, at 18% interest, if I pay $150 a month how long will it take me to pay off my debt. When I google, I get pointers to Excello functions. I want to know the exact formula.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It all comes from the basic formula for an annuity

annuity_formula.svg

In your case the PV is the loan balance, P the payment, r the rate and n the number of periods - so you need to solve for n, so it’s easier to just iterate

BWV said:
It all comes from the basic formula for an annuity

annuity_formula.svg

In your case the PV is the loan balance, P the payment, r the rate and n the number of periods - so you need to solve for n, so it’s easier to just iterate

Taking logs is hardly difficult. [tex]
n = \left.\log\left( \frac{P}{P - rPV}\right)\right/ \log(1 + r).[/tex] Having made [itex]\lfloor n \rfloor[/itex] payments, you will have one further payment of less than [itex]P[/itex] to make.

Solving for [itex]r[/itex] is the difficult one, as this is a polynomial of order [itex]n + 1[/itex] which cannot be solved analytically for [itex]n \geq 4[/itex] (although [itex]r = 0[/itex] is always a solution).

Last edited:
Likes BWV

1. How is the credit card balance calculated as a function of payments?

The credit card balance can be calculated using the following formula: Balance = Previous Balance + (Interest Rate * Previous Balance) - Minimum Payment + New Charges. This formula takes into account the previous balance, any accrued interest, the minimum payment, and any new charges made to the credit card.

2. What is the importance of understanding the formula for credit card balance?

Understanding the formula for credit card balance is important because it allows individuals to accurately calculate their credit card balance and make informed decisions about their payments. It also helps in avoiding excessive interest charges and maintaining a good credit score.

3. How does the interest rate affect the credit card balance?

The interest rate directly affects the credit card balance as it is used in the formula to calculate the accrued interest. A higher interest rate will result in a higher credit card balance and vice versa.

4. Can the formula for credit card balance be applied to all credit cards?

The formula for credit card balance can generally be applied to all credit cards, but the specific interest rates, minimum payments, and new charges may vary depending on the credit card issuer and individual's credit history. It is important to refer to the terms and conditions of your specific credit card for accurate calculations.

5. How can the formula for credit card balance be used to pay off credit card debt?

The formula for credit card balance can be used to pay off credit card debt by calculating the minimum payment required and adding any extra payments to reduce the balance. By understanding the formula, individuals can make strategic payments to pay off their credit card debt more efficiently and potentially save on interest charges.