Pay Off Debt: Calculate Interest & Time Needed for Snowball Method

• MHB
  • Thread starter Cwray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Debt
In summary: Assuming you have a personal loan, car loan, 401k loan, and a credit card with a 14% interest rate, it will take you 9.5 years to pay off the car loan, 10.8 years to pay off the 401k loan, and 21.9 years to pay off the credit card.
Cwray
I'm starting a "debt snowball" approach to paying off my debts and am wondering how long it will take to pay them off and how much interest I will end up paying annually. I'm ok with math, but this is too complex for me.

I have:
3 credit cards
car loan
personal loan
401(k) loan

If someone is willing to help me figure it out, that would be great and then I'll give all the specific information. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Paying off your debts is a fantastic thing to do, and I would give you a hearty back slap to encourage you in that process.

To find out how long it will take to pay off any single debt, you must assemble the following information:
  1. Principle - this is the amount of the original loan
  2. Interest rate
  3. Compounding Interval - this is how often the interest is incorporated back into the principle

Once you have all this, the formula for computing how much the loan is worth is given by
$$S=P \left(1+\frac{j}{m} \right)^{\!mt},$$
where
\begin{align*}
S&=\text{value after }m\text{ periods} \\
P&=\text{principle} \\
j&=\text{interest rate} \\
m&=\text{number of times interest is compounded per year} \\
t&=\text{time in years}
\end{align*}
In this formula there is no hint of your payment. How do we put that into the mix? Well, suppose your monthly payment is $b$. Then the amount of money you've paid off at time $t$ is given by $bmt$. This is assuming your payments coincide with the compounding periods. To find out when you will pay back the debt, solve the equation
$$bmt=P \left(1+\frac{j}{m} \right)^{\!mt}$$
for $t$. This is a transcendental equation, and not easily solved. However, you can solve it in terms of the Lambert W, or product log function. WolframAlpha gives the solution
$$t=-\frac{W\left( -\frac{\ln\left(P\left(\frac{j+m}{m}\right)\right)}{b}\right)}{m\ln\left(P\left(\frac{j+m}{m}\right)\right)}.$$
But this is more complicated than you need. I would just whip up an Excel spreadsheet, and play around with both sides of the above equation until you get the LHS to be greater than the RHS. That will be the time when you pay off the loan.

Related to Pay Off Debt: Calculate Interest & Time Needed for Snowball Method

1. What is the snowball method for paying off debt?

The snowball method is a debt repayment strategy where the debtor pays off the smallest debt first, regardless of the interest rate, and then moves on to the next smallest debt. As each debt is paid off, the amount that was being paid towards that debt is added to the payment for the next smallest debt, creating a snowball effect.

2. How does the snowball method save time and money?

The snowball method can save time and money by allowing the debtor to pay off smaller debts quickly, which reduces the number of creditors and monthly payments. This can also provide a sense of accomplishment and motivation to continue paying off larger debts.

3. How do you calculate the interest and time needed for the snowball method?

To calculate the interest and time needed for the snowball method, you will need to gather information on all your debts, including the balance, interest rate, and minimum monthly payment. Then, using a debt payoff calculator or spreadsheet, you can input this information and see how long it will take to pay off each debt and the total interest paid using the snowball method.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the snowball method?

One potential drawback of the snowball method is that it does not take into account the interest rates of the debts. This means that you may end up paying more in interest overall compared to other debt repayment methods. Additionally, it may not be the best option for those with high-interest debts.

5. Can the snowball method be used for all types of debt?

Yes, the snowball method can be used for all types of debt, including credit card debt, student loans, and personal loans. It can also be applied to a combination of secured and unsecured debts. However, it may be more effective for smaller debts with lower interest rates.