Credit Card Payments: Probability

In summary: In this case, \left(\begin{array}{c}15 \\ 4 \end{array}\right)= \frac{15!}{4!11!}= \frac{15(14)(13)(12)}{4(3)(2)(1)}= (15)(7)(13)= 1365. So the probability of getting 4 people paying their bill in full is \left(\begin{array}{c}15 \\ 4 \end{array}\right)(0.23)^4(0.77)^11. Can you calculate that?In problem (aii), you will have to calculate a number of smaller probabilities, \left(\begin{array}{c}15 \\ x
ranish293
Hello,

Im having difficulty in solving following problem related to probability, Please anyone provide me with the solution.

The proportion of American Express credit-card holders who pay their credit card bill in full
each month is 23%; the other 77% make only a partial or no payment.

(a) In a random sample of 15 customers, what is the probability that:
i. 4 customers pay their bill in full?
ii. More than 6 customers pay their bill in full?

(b) In a random sample of 17 customers, what is the probability that:
i. 4 customers pay their bill in full?
ii. No more than 3 customers pay their bill in full?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Probability

Where are you having issues? Do you know about the binomial distribution?

Thanks Bacterius for your reply.

I don't know about binomial distribution, Could you please solve this for me, and explain the procedure.

ranish293 said:
...Could you please solve this for me, and explain the procedure.

We don't generally work problems, unless they are posted as challenges, where the OP is expected to already have a complete and correct solution ready to post or if someone brings a problem here from another site.

What we expect (as per rule #11) when someone posts a problem, is for them to show what they have already tried and where they are stuck, or at least post what their thoughts are on how to begin. Then, our helpers may offer suggestions/hints so that the OP can proceed and post feedback or ask for further clarification.

We try to engage the OP as much as possible so that they learn by doing rather than simply have their problems worked for them. While this takes more effort/time on the part of our helpers, this benefits people far more.

Can you state any theorems which you have been given that you think may apply?

edit: I have moved this topic to the Basic Probability and Statistics forum as it involves elementary techniques.

Last edited:
ranish293 said:
Thanks Bacterius for your reply.

I don't know about binomial distribution, Could you please solve this for me, and explain the procedure.
It's very strange that you would be given a problem like this- which is a "binomial distribution" problem if you have never learned about it.

If each "event" has probability p of happening (so probability 1- p of not happening) then it has probability \(\displaystyle \left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ x \end{array}\right)p^x (1- p)^{n- x}\) of happening x times out of n trials.

In problem (ai), for example, p= 0.23, n= 15, and x= 4.

\(\displaystyle \left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ x \end{array} \right)\) is the "binomial coefficient", \(\displaystyle \frac{n!}{x!(n-x)!}\).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Credit Card Payments: Probability

1. What is the probability of a credit card payment being declined?

The probability of a credit card payment being declined can vary depending on several factors, such as the credit card company's fraud detection system, available credit on the card, and the individual's payment history. However, on average, the probability of a credit card payment being declined is around 1-2%.

2. How does the credit card company determine the probability of a payment being fraudulent?

Credit card companies use sophisticated algorithms and fraud detection systems to analyze various factors, such as the transaction amount, location, and spending patterns, to determine the probability of a payment being fraudulent. They also monitor for any unusual activity or red flags that may indicate fraudulent behavior.

3. Is there a way to increase the probability of a credit card payment being approved?

Yes, there are several ways to increase the probability of a credit card payment being approved. These include maintaining a good credit score, making payments on time, using the card within its credit limit, and notifying the credit card company of any travel plans to avoid any declined transactions.

4. What is the role of probability in credit card payments?

Probability plays a crucial role in credit card payments as it helps credit card companies assess the risk associated with each transaction. By calculating the probability of a payment being fraudulent, credit card companies can protect themselves from potential losses and ensure the security of their customers' accounts.

5. How can credit card companies use probability to prevent fraud?

Credit card companies use probability to prevent fraud by continuously analyzing and updating their fraud detection systems based on the latest trends and patterns. They also use probability to set transaction limits, monitor for any unusual activity, and flag suspicious transactions for further investigation.