'forces in two dimensions' problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the equivalent forces for a single force with a magnitude of 54.6 N and a direction of 223 degrees. Using the principles of soh cah toa and Pythagoras law, the resulting answers are e' and f', which correspond to 54.6 N at 39.9 degrees west and 37.2 degrees south, and 37.2 N at 39.9 degrees west and 39.9 degrees south, respectively. The correct answer can be determined by making a drawing.
ilanmichaeli

Homework Statement

hello guys, that's the problem, when i tried to solve it using soh cah toh and Pythagoras law it resulted in answers e' and f', which make sense to me because both result it 54.6N and both relevant in directions so i am a bit confused.[/B]
Suppose that a force with a magnitude of 54.6 N is exerted at a direction of 223 degrees (expressed as a counter-clockwise angle of rotation from due east). This force would be the same as having two forces which are exerted at____ and_____
a. 129.2 N west, 74.6 N south
b. 27.3 N west, 27.3 N south
c. 207.3 N west, 82.3 N south
d. 82.3 N west, 207.3 N south
e. 39.9 N west, 37.2 N south
f. 37.2 N west, 39.9 N south
g. 2.9 N west, 54.5 N south
h. 54.5 N west, 2.9 N south
i. 129.2 N west, 181.8 N south
j. 181.8 N west, 129.2N south
k. ... nonsense! It would be impossible to replace a single force by two different forces.
1. ... none of these answers are even close. Yet it would be possible to find two forces.

Homework Equations

6d6f8ee8a6f578fa5be1047728034ea9.png

soh cah toa[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

i'll be very grateful if someone could help me in another subject please - i am just about to cover all mechanics subjects and i wonder what would be more reasonable, to continue with calculus or electricity, or both simultaneously

thanks![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
If you make a drawing, it's easy to see which is the right answer.

Likes ilanmichaeli
BvU said:
If you make a drawing, it's easy to see which is the right answer.
thanks, i feel stupid.. well i didn't make it before because i thought they ask for two answers.. :(

I didn't give you the answer, you found it yourself and hopefully gained something in understanding (and skill set), so : well done !

Likes ilanmichaeli

Related to 'forces in two dimensions' problem

1. What is a force in two dimensions problem?

A force in two dimensions problem involves analyzing the effects of multiple forces acting on an object in two dimensions, typically represented by a Cartesian coordinate system. This type of problem requires the use of vector addition and trigonometric functions to determine the resultant force acting on the object.

2. How do you solve a force in two dimensions problem?

To solve a force in two dimensions problem, you will need to first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant force. Next, use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the resultant force. Finally, use these components to calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

3. What is the difference between a force in two dimensions and a force in one dimension?

A force in one dimension problem involves analyzing the effects of a single force acting on an object in a straight line. A force in two dimensions problem, on the other hand, involves analyzing the effects of multiple forces acting on an object in a two-dimensional plane. This requires the use of vector addition and trigonometric functions, while a one-dimensional problem can be solved using basic algebraic equations.

4. What are some real-life examples of forces in two dimensions?

Some real-life examples of forces in two dimensions include a car accelerating on a curved road, a ball being thrown at an angle, or a plane flying with crosswinds. In each of these situations, multiple forces are acting on the object in different directions, resulting in a two-dimensional problem.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving forces in two dimensions problems?

One common mistake when solving forces in two dimensions problems is forgetting to account for the direction of the forces and their respective components. It is important to use the correct signs and directions when adding vectors and calculating the components of the resultant force. Another mistake is incorrectly using trigonometric functions, so it is important to understand how to apply them in different situations.