Simple question on Conservation of Momentum in 2 directions

In summary, a firework with a mass of 0.90kg explodes into 3 pieces, with two pieces having masses of 0.25kg and 0.35kg. Using the conservation of momentum and trigonometry, the final velocity of the third piece is found to be 28.63m/s at an angle of 11.85°, most likely in the direction of E11.85S.
mcapuchin

Homework Statement

A firework at rest with a mass of 0.90kg explodes into 3 pieces. One piece has a mass of 0.25kg and moves horizontally at 36m/s [N]. Another has a mas of 0.35kg and moves horizontally at 32m/s [S50°W]
Find the velocity of the third peice[/B]

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA
Conservation of Momentum
Pythagorean Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Let N and E be positive[/B]
I first split up both the x and y components
v1y=36m/s
v1x=0m/s
v2y-32cos50=-20.57m/s
v2x=-32sin50=-24.51m/s

Now I subtracted the 2 masses from .90kg which gave me a mass of .30kg.
Then I used the conservation of momentum for both the x and y components, which must equal zero as the object was at rest initially
PT=0
0=m1v1fx-m2v2fx+m3v3fx
0=(0.25kg)(0m/s)-(0.35kg)(24.51m/s)+(0.30kg)v3fx
v3fx=28.59m/s

0=m1v1fy-m2v2fy+m3v3fy
0=(0.25)(36m/s)-(0.35)(20.57m/s)+(0.30kg)v3fy
v3fy=6.0m/s

To find the final velocity with the x and y components
a2+b2=c2
62+28.592=820
√820=28.63
v3f=28.63m/s

Now we find the angle of the magnitude
tan-1=(6/28.59)
=11.85°

However, this is where I'm stuck. How do I know if it is north or south or west or east? I looked at the book and my calculations are correct, but they say it is S11.9W. How do I determine this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a diagram of the event and trajectories and see if things make sense from it.

Likes mcapuchin
Thanks for the suggestion, I think there's a typo in the text as on the diagram I drew it makes sense that it will be E11.85S. Will point it out to my teacher.

Related to Simple question on Conservation of Momentum in 2 directions

1. How is momentum conserved in 2 directions?

Momentum is conserved in 2 directions by the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum in a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum in the x-direction and the y-direction must remain constant, and any changes in one direction must be offset by changes in the other direction.

2. What is an example of conservation of momentum in 2 directions?

A common example of conservation of momentum in 2 directions is a collision between two objects. When two objects collide, their total momentum in the x-direction and y-direction must remain the same before and after the collision. This can be observed in billiard balls colliding on a pool table or in a car crash.

3. How does mass affect conservation of momentum in 2 directions?

The conservation of momentum in 2 directions is directly related to the mass of the objects involved. In a closed system, the total momentum in the x-direction and y-direction must be the same before and after any interaction between objects. This means that the more massive an object is, the more momentum it will have in a given direction.

4. Can momentum be transferred between objects in opposite directions?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects in opposite directions as long as the total momentum in both directions remains constant. For example, in a game of billiards, the cue ball can transfer momentum to the target ball in the opposite direction, causing it to move.

5. How does Newton's Third Law apply to conservation of momentum in 2 directions?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This applies to conservation of momentum in 2 directions, as changes in momentum in one direction must be balanced by changes in the opposite direction. In a collision, the force applied by one object on another is equal and opposite to the force applied by the second object on the first.