Dynamics in two dimensions problem

In summary: Majeure" suggests that it is not a definitive answer.Well, I would say it's asking for the magnitude! Which is always a positive number. The negative sign is actually a direction: opposite the direction of motion, in this case.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

upload_2016-10-15_12-28-8.png

Homework Equations

xf = x0 + v0cos(θ)t + (1/2)axt2
yf = y0 + v0sinθt - (1/2)gt2
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I first tried to find the acceleration in the x direction so I could solve for the force
xf = x0 + v0cos(θ)t + (1/2)axt2

In order to find the time I used the equation for the y coordinate
yf = y0 + v0sinθt - (1/2)gt2

The initial and final y positions will both be zero so
0 = 0 + v0sin(θ) - (1/2)gt2
t = 2v0sin(θ)/ g = .702 sec

Then I plugged time back into the x equation

2.9 = v0cos(θ)(.702) + (1/2)a(.702)2
a = -2.23

Since I know the acceleration I can find the force by Newtons second law

F = ma

F = .015(-2.23) = -.033 N

It appears that I am a sign off from the correct answer

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-15_12-17-40.png
    upload_2016-10-15_12-17-40.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
0 = 0 + v0sin(θ) - (1/2)gt2 t = 2v0sin(θ)/ g = .702 sec

Don't you need to take the square root here?

BrainMan said:
F = .015(-2.23) = -.033 N

It appears that I am a sign off from the correct answer

What do you mean by "a sign off"?

Likes BrainMan
PeroK said:
What do you mean by "a sign off"?
The correct answer is 0.034 N so it looks like I'm getting the negative of the right answer.

BrainMan said:
The correct answer is 0.034 N so it looks like I'm getting the negative of the right answer.

And what does the question ask for?

Likes BrainMan
PeroK said:
And what does the question ask for?
Oh I see. Since it's asking for the magnitude it's just asking for the value and not the sign, right?

BrainMan said:
Oh I see. Since it's asking for the magnitude it's just asking for the value and not the sign, right?

Well, I would say it's asking for the magnitude! Which is always a positive number. The negative sign is actually a direction: opposite the direction of motion, in this case.

"Value" suggests magnitude and direction to me.

Likes BrainMan

Related to Dynamics in two dimensions problem

1. What is a "Dynamics in two dimensions problem"?

A "Dynamics in two dimensions problem" is a physics problem that involves the analysis of motion in two dimensions, typically using principles of Newtonian mechanics. This means that the problem considers the motion of an object in both the horizontal and vertical directions simultaneously.

2. How is a "Dynamics in two dimensions problem" different from a one-dimensional problem?

A one-dimensional problem only considers motion in a single direction, whereas a "Dynamics in two dimensions problem" involves motion in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This means that the equations and principles used to solve the problem are more complex and require a deeper understanding of physics.

3. What are some common examples of "Dynamics in two dimensions problems"?

Some common examples of "Dynamics in two dimensions problems" include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane. These problems can involve multiple forces acting on an object and require the use of vector analysis to solve.

4. How do you approach solving a "Dynamics in two dimensions problem"?

The first step in solving a "Dynamics in two dimensions problem" is to identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective directions. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and vector analysis to determine the acceleration of the object in both the horizontal and vertical directions. From there, you can use kinematic equations to solve for the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving a "Dynamics in two dimensions problem"?

One important tip for solving a "Dynamics in two dimensions problem" is to draw a clear and accurate diagram of the situation, labeling all the forces and their directions. This will help you visualize the problem and identify any components of forces that need to be considered. Additionally, it is important to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and to check your answers for reasonableness. It can also be helpful to practice solving various types of "Dynamics in two dimensions problems" to become more familiar with the process and improve problem-solving skills.