Movement in one and two dimensions, where finding Force in a problem

In summary, the question is about finding the force needed to accelerate a lawnmower from rest to a velocity of 2.0 m/s in 2.5 s. The initial force of 100 N is not enough to accelerate the lawnmower, so an additional force must be applied. Using the formula v = u + at, the acceleration is found to be 0.8 m/s^2. This is then used in the formula F = ma to calculate the required force, which is 16 N. However, the answer in the textbook is 120 N, indicating that a greater force is needed to overcome the retarding force and accelerate the lawnmower.
Vinhster

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, i have been stuck on this question on the Physics year 12 Nelsons textbook, and it is pissing me off because I've been working so hard on it and i can not get it.
It is in the chapter of Movement in one and two dimensions.
The question is:
A person pushes a lawnmower of mass 20 kg at a constant speed with a force of 100 N directed along the handle, which is at 35 degrees to the horizontal.
What force must the person exert on the lawnmower in order to give it a velocity of 2.0 m/s in 2.5 s?
Most appreciated for the help everyone thank you.

Homework Equations

I think it's relevant to Tcos(theta) = ma > 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and labeled all the units.
Where:
t = 2.5
v = 2
u = 0
So i used the formula : v = u + at
where i concluded with 2 = 0 + a2.5
a = 2/2.5
a = 0.8 m/s^2
and then i subbed it into the equation
F = ma
where i concluded with F = (20)(0.8)
= 16 N
But the answer in the back of the book says it's 120N =/

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for starters if initially the lawn mower is pushed with a force of 100 N, and the velocity is constant (ie no acceleration), then to accelerate the lawn mower, a force greater than 100 N is required. So modify the force required to accelerate it (remember the angle) and add it to the 100N.

Draw a diagram of all the forces acting on the lawnmower. First draw the initial case, where the lawnmower is traveling at constant speed. Since a force is applied to the handle, yet it's moving at constant speed, what's keeping it from accelerating?

Does adding additional force to the handle increase, decrease, or keep this retarding force the same?

Related to Movement in one and two dimensions, where finding Force in a problem

1. What is the equation for calculating force in one dimension?

The equation for calculating force in one dimension is F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

2. How do you calculate force in two dimensions?

To calculate force in two dimensions, you must break the force vector into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the force and trigonometric functions to find the direction.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass in a force problem?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. In a force problem, weight is used to calculate the force of gravity, while mass is used to calculate the object's inertia.

4. How do you handle friction in a force problem?

In a force problem, you must consider the force of friction if there is any. This force opposes the motion of an object and can be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force.

5. Can you have a negative force in a problem?

Yes, you can have a negative force in a problem. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. It is important to pay attention to the direction of forces when solving problems in multiple dimensions.