Forces: find angle without x/y components?

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve a physics problem involving a man pulling a package with a given force and mass, and determining the angle at which the man is pulling. The person mentions trying to use trigonometric equations but cannot find a suitable solution. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that the force needed to achieve the given acceleration is equal to the force of the man pulling the package.
Shelilla

Homework Statement

I just can't seem to find anything that I can relate to for solving this problem and it's giving me a headache.

I don't even know how to start solving this question. Please help:

A man drags a package across the floor with a force of 40 N. The mass of the package is 10 kg. If the acceleration of the package is 3.5 m/s^2 and friction can be neglected, at what angle to the horizontal does the man pull?

Homework Equations

I know that the angle would normally be inversetan(opp/adj) given the x and y components, or for the x/y components it would be hyp. x cos(angle) or hyp. x sin (angle).
I don't have either one though?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew out a diagram and I cannot find any examples whatsoever in my notes OR online that isn't overly complex with a bunch of coefficients I don't understand, or just the wrong frickin equations every single time I try to look it up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the package accelerating. It's accelerating horizontally across the floor. If you were pulling it horizontally, what size of force would be needed to achieve that acceleration?

I think I got it, thanks.

Related to Forces: find angle without x/y components?

1. What are forces and why are they important in physics?

Forces are defined as any push or pull that causes an object to accelerate. They are important in physics because they help us understand the motion and behavior of objects in the physical world.

2. How do you find the angle of a force without x/y components?

To find the angle of a force without x/y components, you can use the tangent function (tan) in trigonometry. The angle can be calculated as the inverse tangent of the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side of the triangle formed by the force vector.

3. Can you give an example of a force with no x/y components?

One example of a force with no x/y components is a force acting directly downwards, such as the weight of an object. In this case, the force only has a vertical component and no horizontal component.

4. How does finding the angle of a force without x/y components help in solving problems?

Knowing the angle of a force without x/y components is important in solving problems involving forces in different directions, such as finding the resultant force or determining the equilibrium of an object.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding the angle of a force without x/y components?

Yes, the formula for finding the angle of a force without x/y components is θ = tan-1 (Fy/Fx), where θ is the angle, Fy is the vertical component of the force, and Fx is the horizontal component of the force.