Coulomb's Law, Three Charges, X Y Components, Angle

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of finding net force on an object and determining the angle from the positive side of the x-axis. There was confusion about using the cos() function and when to start the angle from the x-axis. The conversation also touched on the use of vector dot products and the importance of the point of application when finding the moment about an axis. The speaker struggled to understand the concept of using an origin to plot a Cartesian plane and determine the angle of a vector.
Stenn

Homework Statement

slide_9.jpg

This is finding net force on Q3.

I was taught by my Physics teacher to always get angle from the Positive side of x-axis (+X-Axis).
For example in the above situation, if the angle is -30deg from the +x-axis (assuming the Q3 is the origin),

Why is F31 x-component = 140 N cos(360-30) NOT the case?

I mean I considered that in getting angles it should ALWAYS come from the +X-Axis

I think now, if the above x-y components are correct. then the cartesian plane (Q3 Origin) is turned upside down

Now, what's not clear to me is that. When does a Cartesian plane mirrors/turns upside down?

OR is the above situation false?
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Stenn said:
Why is F31 x-component = 140 N cos(360-30) NOT the case?
Since the cos() function is even, cos(-θ) = -cos(θ) cos(θ), so it doesn't really matter whether you take that angle as positive or negative, as long as the resultant is pointing in the correct direction.

Probably a better way to think of is is to just use vector dot products to keep the directions straight. Are you familiar with the vector dot product?

EDIT -- fixed typo in my cos() equation.

Last edited:
THANKS! for the warm welcome! :D

berkeman, you misunderstood me

the above is cos(360-30) = cos(330)

Also, yep I know vector dot product.
Isn't the dot product supposed to get the AREA OF TWO VECTORS? What the unknown here is the sum of two vectors, simply adding the two: Combining two forces and determining the magnitude and direction.

Stenn said:
the above is cos(360-30) = cos(330)
They are all the same. cos(x)=cos(-x)=cos(360-x). Flipping the image about the x-axis does not change the x components of the vectors.
Stenn said:
the dot product supposed to get the AREA OF TWO VECTORS?
No, the cross product magnitude is the area of the parallelogram defined by the two vectors. Dot products can be used for finding the component of one vector in the direction of another, but you have to divide by the magnitude of the second vector.

Likes berkeman
I want to change the question. How do I plot the origin? in order for me to determine the angle.

Stenn said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 212074
When does a Cartesian plane mirrors/turns upside down?

I want to change the question to. How do I plot the origin?, for me to determine the angle I need for breaking down x-y components of a vector

Stenn said:
I want to change the question to. How do I plot the origin?, for me to determine the angle I need for breaking down x-y components of a vector
I don't understand your question. To find the components you only need the angle the vector makes to the directions of the x and y axes. The origin can be anywhere.

haruspex said:
The origin can be anywhere.

But that can't happen, I won't know if the x or y is negative

Last edited by a moderator:
haruspex said:
The origin can be anywhere.

Does the origin sits on the vertex of the vector?

Stenn said:
Does the origin sits on the vertex of the vector?
For the purpose of resolving into components, you can take the origin as being in the line of the force.
A force is actually defined by two vectors. One gives you the direction and magnitude of the force, while the other specifies the point of application. For resolving into components, you only need the first; you can take its point of application as being at the origin.
The point of application matters when finding the moment about an axis.

haruspex said:
For the purpose of resolving into components, you can take the origin as being in the line of the force.
A force is actually defined by two vectors. One gives you the direction and magnitude of the force, while the other specifies the point of application. For resolving into components, you only need the first; you can take its point of application as being at the origin.
The point of application matters when finding the moment about an axis.

I can't grasp it. What I mean is...
when I resolve for x-y component of a given vector which is the product of Coulomb's law, where do I plot an origin in order to find its angle that is to be used later in resolving x-y components.

I'm sorry, please tell me if you know that you've already answered my question, but I'm not getting your point, so I know when to stop. perhaps...

Stenn said:
I can't grasp it. What I mean is...
when I resolve for x-y component of a given vector which is the product of Coulomb's law, where do I plot an origin in order to find its angle that is to be used later in resolving x-y components.

I'm sorry, please tell me if you know that you've already answered my question, but I'm not getting your point, so I know when to stop. perhaps...
Likewise, I cannot understand your difficulty.
In the example in this thread, you can see that the force acts at angle -30°. That is all you need for finding the x and y components. Why do you need an origin?
Please show your working up to the point where you think you need it.

Likes Stenn
haruspex said:
Why do you need an origin?
Please show your working up to the point where you think you need it.

Untitled.jpg

You see the above. There is given -30deg
We all know in a cartesian plane there would be 360 degrees all in all around.
Now, -30 deg from x-axis would be 30 degrees BACKWARDS
Now, I was taught by my professor to ALWAYS START FROM X-AXIS forwards (I think this part is where I get problems)
Now, I think is that I would use cos(340) to get the angle and
resolve x-y components with the angle 340 from x-axis

So, I need origin to imagin cartesian plane on an reevolve around and get the angle of a vector.

PLEASE, If you're getting confused please tell me to stop, well I know I must do in some point from now.

Related to Coulomb's Law, Three Charges, X Y Components, Angle

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a physical law that describes the electrostatic interaction between charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law used to calculate the force between three charges?

To calculate the force between three charges, we use the principle of superposition. This means that we treat each charged particle separately and calculate the force between each pair of charges using Coulomb's Law. Then, we vectorially add these individual forces to determine the net force acting on each charge.

3. What are X and Y components in Coulomb's Law?

X and Y components refer to the horizontal and vertical components of the force between two charged particles. These components can be calculated using trigonometry, where the angle between the two particles and the horizontal axis is known.

4. How is the angle between two charged particles important in Coulomb's Law?

The angle between two charged particles plays a crucial role in determining the direction of the force acting on each particle. This angle is used to calculate the X and Y components of the force, which are then combined to determine the net force and its direction.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to point charges only?

No, Coulomb's Law can be applied to any charged objects, not just point charges. However, for objects with non-uniform charge distributions, the law may need to be modified to take into account the distribution of charge.