Diffrence between resolving vector to components and find projections

Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
Resolve to components / Determine magnitude of projections
Relevant Equations
Dot product
I don't get what is the difference when I am asked to re-solve components and find projections to axes other than the Y and X
I know that the parallelogram works for the first one and the dot product for the second but what's the diffrence!
IMG_20230917_143410_282.jpg
1694950414012.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
Homework Statement: Resolve to components / Determine magnitude of projections
Relevant Equations: Dot product

I don't get what is the difference when I am asked to re-solve components and find projections to axes other than the Y and X
I know that the parallelogram works for the first one and the dot product for the second but what's the diffrence!
View attachment 332081View attachment 332082
If you resolve a vector ##\vec w## into components ##\vec u, \vec v## then ##\vec w=\vec u+\vec v##.
Those components will only be the projections of ##\vec w## onto ##\hat u, \hat v## if ##\vec u## and ##\vec v## are orthogonal.

Writing ##\vec u=u\hat u## etc. and ##\lambda=\hat u\cdot\hat v##,
##\vec w=u\hat u+v\hat v##
##\vec w\cdot\hat u=u+v\lambda##
etc., whence
##v=\frac{\vec w\cdot\hat v-\vec w\cdot\hat u\lambda}{1-\lambda^2}##.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
If you resolve a vector ##\vec w## into components ##\vec u, \vec v## then ##\vec w=\vec u+\vec v##.
Those components will only be the projections of ##\vec w## onto ##\hat u, \hat v## if ##\vec u## and ##\vec v## are orthogonal.

Writing ##\vec u=u\hat u## etc. and ##\lambda=\hat u\cdot\hat v##,
##\vec w=u\hat u+v\hat v##
##\vec w\cdot\hat u=u+v\lambda##
etc., whence
I still don't get the diffrence between projection and force component.

Mohmmad Maaitah said:
I still don't get the diffrence between projection and force component.
The projection of one vector on another depends only on those two vectors. It is unaffected by any other vectors under consideration.
If you are resolving into components then you need a set of directions to resolve into, ##\hat u_i##, and the coefficient to use in one direction depends on the whole set of directions. If you modify ##\hat u_1## then you may find the magnitude of the component in the ##\hat u_2## direction changes.

I get it thank you sir!
haruspex said:
The projection of one vector on another depends only on those two vectors. It is unaffected by any other vectors under consideration.
If you are resolving into components then you need a set of directions to resolve into, ##\hat u_i##, and the coefficient to use in one direction depends on the whole set of directions. If you modify ##\hat u_1## then you may find the magnitude of the component in the ##\hat u_2## direction changes.

1. What is the difference between resolving a vector into components and finding its projections?

Resolving a vector into components involves breaking down a vector into its horizontal and vertical components, while finding its projections involves determining the length of the vector in a specific direction.

2. Why would you need to resolve a vector into components?

Resolving a vector into components can be useful when dealing with vectors in two-dimensional space, as it allows you to easily calculate the effects of a vector in different directions.

3. How do you find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to determine the horizontal and vertical components respectively.

4. What is the purpose of finding the projections of a vector?

Finding the projections of a vector can be helpful in determining the magnitude and direction of a vector in a specific direction, which can be useful in various applications such as physics and engineering.

5. Can you use both methods interchangeably?

No, resolving a vector into components and finding its projections are two different methods and cannot be used interchangeably. The results and applications of each method are different and dependent on the specific problem at hand.