Flawed Vector Space Example: Showing Failures of Commutativity and Associativity

In summary, the set S={(a_1,a_2):a_1,a_2 \in \mathbb{R}} with defined operations of addition and scalar multiplication is not a vector space as it fails the axioms of commutativity and associativity of addition, as well as the distributive law. This is shown through counterexamples that do not yield equal results on both sides of the equations.
miglo

Homework Statement

let [tex]S={(a_1,a_2):a_1,a_2 \in \mathbb{R}}[/tex] For [tex] (a_1,a_2),(b_1,b_2)\in{S}[/tex] and [tex]c\in\mathbb{R}[/tex] define [tex](a_1,a_2)+(b_1,b_2)=(a_1+b_1,a_2-b_2)[/tex] and [tex]c(a_1,a_2)=(ca_1,ca_2)[/tex].
show that this is not a vector space

Homework Equations

vector space axioms

The Attempt at a Solution

this isn't an exercise in the book, but an example from the book that states that commutativity and associativity of addition and the distributive law all fail, so this in fact is not a vector space
i tried working these out and i think i got commutativity one right
because then you have [tex](a_1+b_1,a_2-b_2)[/tex] does not equal [tex](b_1+a_1,b_2-a_2)[/tex] is this correct?
i got stuck on associativity, i worked it out but to me it seems that it does in fact hold true
haven't check the distributive law though
the book I am using is linear algebra by friedberg, insel and spence, second edition

Physics news on Phys.org
miglo said:

Homework Statement

let [tex]S={(a_1,a_2):a_1,a_2 \in \mathbb{R}}[/tex] For [tex] (a_1,a_2),(b_1,b_2)\in{S}[/tex] and [tex]c\in\mathbb{R}[/tex] define [tex](a_1,a_2)+(b_1,b_2)=(a_1+b_1,a_2-b_2)[/tex] and [tex]c(a_1,a_2)=(ca_1,ca_2)[/tex].
show that this is not a vector space

Homework Equations

vector space axioms

The Attempt at a Solution

this isn't an exercise in the book, but an example from the book that states that commutativity and associativity of addition and the distributive law all fail, so this in fact is not a vector space
i tried working these out and i think i got commutativity one right
because then you have [tex](a_1+b_1,a_2-b_2)[/tex] does not equal [tex](b_1+a_1,b_2-a_2)[/tex] is this correct?
Yes, that is correct.

i got stuck on associativity, i worked it out but to me it seems that it does in fact hold true
haven't check the distributive law though
the book I am using is linear algebra by friedberg, insel and spence, second edition
"Associativity of addition" would require that ((a1, b1)+ (a2, b2))+ (a3, b3)= (a1+ b1)+ ((a2, b2)+ (a3, b3)). What do you get for each of those?

Distributivity requires that (a1, b1)((a2, b2)+ (a3, b3))= (a1,b1)(a2,b2)+ (a1,b1)(a3,b3). What do you get for each of those?

nevermind i just checked my work again and i think i figured it out
for associativity we end up with
[tex](a_1+b_1+c_1,a_2-b_2-c_2)[/tex] on the left side while the right side gives us
[tex](a_1+b_1+c_1,a_2-b_2+c_2)[/tex]
which aren't equal, so this shows associativity of addition fails right?

im going to work on the distributive law, if i get stuck on that ill post back on this thread for help

first time working with vector spaces, so I am just trying to make sure i get this right before i actually start my linear algebra class in the fall haha

miglo said:
nevermind i just checked my work again and i think i figured it out
for associativity we end up with
[tex](a_1+b_1+c_1,a_2-b_2-c_2)[/tex] on the left side while the right side gives us
[tex](a_1+b_1+c_1,a_2-b_2+c_2)[/tex]
which aren't equal, so this shows associativity of addition fails right?
Yes, that is correct.

im going to work on the distributive law, if i get stuck on that ill post back on this thread for help

first time working with vector spaces, so I am just trying to make sure i get this right before i actually start my linear algebra class in the fall haha

thanks hallsofivy

looking back into my book I am not even sure if its the distributive law that fails
my book says VS8 fails which is for a,b of elements in F(field) and each element x in V
(a+b)x=ax+bx, is this the distributive law? it doesn't look like the one you posted hallsofivy

anyways i checked it using x,y as the elements of the field
[tex](x+y)(a_1,a_2)=(xa_1+ya_1,xa_2+ya_2)[/tex] and [tex]x(a_1,a_2)+y(a_1,a_2)=(xa_1,xa_2)+(ya_1,ya_2)[/tex]
both sides are not equal so it fails that axiom

Related to Flawed Vector Space Example: Showing Failures of Commutativity and Associativity

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical construct that represents a set of objects, called vectors, along with operations that can be performed on those vectors. These operations include addition, scalar multiplication, and satisfying certain properties such as closure, associativity, and distributivity.

2. What are some real-world applications of vector spaces?

Vector spaces have numerous applications in the fields of physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. Some examples include representing forces and velocities in physics, modeling financial data in economics, and creating computer graphics in computer science.

3. How do I determine if a set of vectors forms a vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a vector space, you need to check if the set satisfies the properties of a vector space. These properties include closure (the sum of two vectors in the set is also in the set), associativity (the order in which vectors are added does not matter), and distributivity (distributing scalar multiplication over vector addition).

4. Can a vector space have an infinite number of vectors?

Yes, a vector space can have an infinite number of vectors. In fact, many commonly used vector spaces, such as the set of all real numbers or the set of all polynomials, have an infinite number of vectors.

5. How do I find a basis for a vector space?

To find a basis for a vector space, you need to find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire vector space. This can be done by creating a matrix from the vectors and using row reduction to find the pivot columns, which will form a basis for the vector space.