What is the vector cross product in an oblique coordinate system?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vector product of two vectors in an oblique coordinate system. The explicit expressions of the components of the resulting vector are given in both covariant and contravariant forms, using a reciprocal basis constructed from a direct basis. The individual steps for finding the components are also mentioned, including setting the covariant components as a fraction and using the relationship x_1 = x^1 + x^2cos(\alpha). Some additional resources are mentioned for further reference.
KleZMeR

Homework Statement

Find vector product of [itex]C = A \times B [/itex] of two vectors in oblique coord. system. Give explicit expressions of components of C in covariant and contravariant components (constructing reciprocal basis from direct basis will be useful).

Homework Equations

I am basically just crossing two vectors, one product is that of two arbitrary contravariant vectors, and one is a product of two arbitrary covariant vectors. I understand this part, I just am always confused by the word "explicit."

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I take this determinant (contravariant)
[itex] \begin{array}{ccc} a_1 & a_2 & a_3 \\ A^1 & A^2 & A^3 \\ B^1 & B^2 & B^3 \end{array} [/itex]

and this one as well (covariant)
[itex] \begin{array}{ccc} a^1 & a^2 & a^3 \\ A_1 & A_2 & A_3 \\ B_1 & B_2 & B_3 \end{array} [/itex]

and for my covariant components I can set [itex] a_i = \frac{e_i}{sin(\alpha)} [/itex]

I am not sure what else is being asked, if anything at all.

I have this relation for components:

[itex] x_1 = x^1 + x^2cos(\alpha) [/itex]

but not sure if I should apply it to get vector terms as [itex]a_1A_1 +...[/itex]:

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is an oblique cross product?

An oblique cross product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors in three-dimensional space to create a new vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors.

2. How is an oblique cross product calculated?

An oblique cross product is calculated using the right-hand rule, where the direction of the resulting vector is determined by the direction of the original vectors and the angle between them.

3. What is the purpose of an oblique cross product?

The purpose of an oblique cross product is to determine the direction of a new vector that is orthogonal to two given vectors. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and 3D graphics to calculate forces, torque, and orientation.

4. How is an oblique cross product different from a dot product?

An oblique cross product and a dot product are two different mathematical operations that involve vectors. While a dot product gives a scalar quantity, an oblique cross product gives a vector quantity that is perpendicular to the original vectors.

5. What are some real-world applications of an oblique cross product?

An oblique cross product is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the torque on a rotating object, determining the direction of magnetic forces, and finding the orientation of a 3D object in computer graphics. It is also used in the study of planetary motion and fluid dynamics.