First zvs driver+induction coil/heater HOT

• Thread starter 4TheResistance
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the person is new to creating a zvs driver and has encountered issues with their inductor and mosfets getting too hot. They have tried using different components, such as a capacitor from a microwave and inductors in parallel, but the problem persists. They are open to suggestions on how to prevent their mosfets from burning up.
4TheResistance
I am making my first zvs driver and when I got it "finished" all it did was get my inductor and mosfets hot, the screwdriver I had in the heater did nothing. I killed the power before any damage was done, I hope. My mosfets are 2 IRFP250n's and I am powering it with a 12V 4A battery charger. My capacitor is from a microwave, 0.80μf and 2100V AC, is this too big?

I am new to most of this so just assume I know nothing. I won't be offended.
I am open to all suggestions and will put a few pics up tomorrow.

7a07a326ac721757eca7f9500f62824b779980e9e98bceaba15d3ea45b74ecf06g.jpg

660fda9845e949da57a638072067283042bc902c67c67026d89a8df3b092cf296g.jpg

a796b5b61699b25e0567d585195c4cb734f42267f32678aa835ac8faf1b828266g.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I just changed the inductor to 4 0f these in parallel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120998332098?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Still doesn't work. the mosfets climb to 130F very fast but my screw stays cool.

Ok my caps came in the mail today so I switched the monster cap for 3- 1μf 250v in series. My inductors are no longer getting hot but the caps get a "little warm" and the mosfets still get HOT. I can tell its working now though, got a piece of a coat hanger up to 100F but the mosfets were way hotter so I killed the power.

Other than heatsinks(I'm waiting for my thermal grease) is there something I can change to keep the mosfets from burning up?

Related to First zvs driver+induction coil/heater HOT

1. What is a ZVS driver and how does it work?

A ZVS (Zero Voltage Switching) driver is an electronic circuit that utilizes resonance to switch the output voltage between zero and the input voltage. This allows for efficient power transfer and reduced heat dissipation. It works by using a series of switches to control the flow of current through an inductor, creating high frequency oscillations.

2. What is the purpose of an induction coil/heater in a ZVS driver?

An induction coil, also known as an induction heater, is used in a ZVS driver to generate high frequency alternating currents. This is achieved by passing a high frequency current through a coil of wire, which creates a rapidly changing magnetic field. This magnetic field then induces eddy currents in a nearby conductive material, resulting in heating.

3. How do I build a ZVS driver and induction coil/heater?

Building a ZVS driver and induction coil requires knowledge of electronics and circuitry. It involves selecting the appropriate components, such as MOSFETs and inductors, and wiring them together according to a schematic diagram. It is recommended to consult a professional or experienced individual before attempting to build one.

4. What are the applications of a ZVS driver and induction coil/heater?

ZVS drivers and induction coils have a wide range of applications, including induction heating, wireless power transfer, and induction cooking. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as welding and metal forming.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a ZVS driver and induction coil/heater?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using a ZVS driver and induction coil/heater. These devices can generate high voltages and currents, which can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to follow safety precautions and use appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with these devices.