Optimal values for power in an induction heater?

In summary, a transformer is necessary for safety reasons, and it's important to find a local Mentor to help with the project.
Shadow89

I really want to build a simple but powerful induction heater for hobby blacksmithing.
Metal shaping and the design of the cooling system within the coils are not a problem.
I need help understanding the electronics

Obviously I must first use a transformer as a safety against "backlash" to the grid and my house. So I might as well change the amount of current and voltage.

1st question: What are the optimal values for both voltage and current? Let's say I want to heat a 250mm long steel bar, roughly 25mmx25mm cross section. I need 1300 degrees celsius or more.
Max. amp at the wall: 16A. 220V to 230V
(Should I max out the voltage or the current? same as in the wall? etc.)

2nd. question: What is the optimal frequency on the AC for such a device? Does it change a lot based on the shape/size of the bar? (materials?) Is there a safe/reasonable/affordable way to modulate frequency for a layman like myself? It would be nice if I could set it and forget it. The size of the coil is finite anyway.

3rd. question: If i manage to install three-phase power in my house, does that change any of the other answers?

4th. question: Are there any other electric properties I have not considered, which are important to get this to work properly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread closed for Moderation...

Shadow89 said:
I really want to build a simple but powerful induction heater for hobby blacksmithing.
Shadow89 said:
1st question: What are the optimal values for both voltage and current? Let's say I want to heat a 250mm long steel bar, roughly 25mmx25mm cross section. I need 1300 degrees celsius or more.
Max. amp at the wall: 16A. 220V to 230V
(Should I max out the voltage or the current? same as in the wall? etc.)
Shadow89 said:
Obviously I must first use a transformer as a safety against "backlash" to the grid and my house. So I might as well change the amount of current and voltage.
These questions show pretty clearly that you need to find a local Mentor to help you with this project. Preferably one who is familiar with your local building electrical codes, and can help you through the building permits and inspections associated with this. If you can stay within the existing electrical distribution panel ratings for you workshop, you may not need any additional building permits, but your local Mentor should be able to help you avoid fires and such.

Thread will stay closed. Please be safe.

Related to Optimal values for power in an induction heater?

1. What is an induction heater?

An induction heater is a type of heating device that uses electromagnetic induction to generate heat in an electrically conductive material. It consists of a high-frequency alternating current (AC) power supply and a heating coil, which creates a magnetic field that induces eddy currents in the material, resulting in heat generation.

2. How does an induction heater work?

An induction heater works by passing a high-frequency alternating current through a heating coil, which creates a rapidly changing magnetic field. This magnetic field then induces eddy currents in the electrically conductive material, causing resistance and generating heat. The heat generated is proportional to the resistance of the material, the strength of the magnetic field, and the frequency of the alternating current.

3. What are the optimal values for power in an induction heater?

The optimal values for power in an induction heater depend on various factors such as the type of material being heated, its size and shape, the desired heating rate, and the efficiency of the heating coil. Typically, a higher power output will result in a faster heating rate, but it may also lead to overheating or damage to the material. It is crucial to carefully select the power setting based on the specific application to achieve the desired results.

4. How do I determine the optimal power setting for my induction heater?

The optimal power setting for an induction heater can be determined through experimentation and testing. It is essential to consider the characteristics of the material being heated, such as its electrical conductivity and heat capacity, as well as the desired heating rate. Starting with a lower power setting and gradually increasing it while monitoring the temperature and heating rate can help determine the optimal power setting for a specific application.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using an induction heater?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when using an induction heater. The high-frequency AC power supply can pose a risk of electric shock, and the strong magnetic field can interfere with electronic devices and pacemakers. It is crucial to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate personal protective equipment when operating an induction heater. Additionally, ensuring that the material being heated is suitable for induction heating and monitoring the temperature closely can prevent accidents and damage to the material.