Finite Field of Characterisitic p .... ....

In summary: This statement is true because every finite-dimensional vector space has a basis, and any two finite-dimensional vector spaces with the same dimension are isomorphic. This is a fundamental result in linear algebra and can be found in most introductory textbooks on the subject.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I need help with Exercise 1 of Dummit and Foote, Section 13.2 : Algebraic Extensions ..

I have been unable to make a meaningful start on the problem ... ...

Exercise 1 of Dummit and Foote, Section 13.2 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=be203a92aafcc0e065b898a92755429b.png

Homework Equations

A relevant definition is the definition of the characteristic of a field ...

This definition along with some remarks by D&F reads as follows:
A proposition which may be relevant is D&F Proposition 1 of Section 13.1 ... ...

This proposition reads as follows:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been unable to make a meaningful start on this problem ...

BUT ... further I hope to understand why D&F put this exercise at the end of a section on algebraic extensions ... the exercise seems a bit remote from the subject matter ... ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• D&F - Definition of Characteristic of a Field - Section 13.1 ... ....png
    D&F - Definition of Characteristic of a Field - Section 13.1 ... ....png
    43.9 KB · Views: 422
  • D&F - Exercise 1 - Section 13.2 ... ....png
    D&F - Exercise 1 - Section 13.2 ... ....png
    4.5 KB · Views: 416
  • D&F - Proposition 1 - Section 13.1.png
    D&F - Proposition 1 - Section 13.1.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is solved by considering the field as a vector space over the field ##\langle 1_F\rangle \cong \mathbb Z_p##. If the vector space has dimension ##n## then it has a basis of size ##n## and we can show that the order of the vector space is ##p^n## by considering the number of different ##n##-tuples whose components are in ##\mathbb Z_p##.

I think the reason it comes at the end of the foregoing chapter is that that chapter (IIRC) has shown how a field can be regarded as a vector space.

The vector space will be one-dimensional if the field is isomorphic to ##\mathbb Z_p##, and so will have order ##p## and ##\{1_F\}## is a basis. If it is not isomorphic, the field generated by ##1_F## will be a subfield (call it ##S##) of order ##p##. The other elements of the basis can be found by considering what elements are needed to extend ##S## to ##F##.

Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
The problem is solved by considering the field as a vector space over the field ##\langle 1_F\rangle \cong \mathbb Z_p##. If the vector space has dimension ##n## then it has a basis of size ##n## and we can show that the order of the vector space is ##p^n## by considering the number of different ##n##-tuples whose components are in ##\mathbb Z_p##.

I think the reason it comes at the end of the foregoing chapter is that that chapter (IIRC) has shown how a field can be regarded as a vector space.

The vector space will be one-dimensional if the field is isomorphic to ##\mathbb Z_p##, and so will have order ##p## and ##\{1_F\}## is a basis. If it is not isomorphic, the field generated by ##1_F## will be a subfield (call it ##S##) of order ##p##. The other elements of the basis can be found by considering what elements are needed to extend ##S## to ##F##.
Thanks Andrew ... I vaguely follow ...

Are you able to formalise the proof a bit ...

Peter

Use the distributive law to prove that the vector space over ##\mathbb Z_p## generated by ##1_F## is a subfield of ##F## of order ##p##, which we can label as ##S##.
Hence ##F## is a field extension of ##S##.
In the previous work (somewhere in D&F, else see the wiki article on Field Extensions) we've seen that a field extension is a vector space over the subfield (ie we mean the subfield ##S## is the scalar field from which scalar multiplication in the vector space ##F## is defined).
Since ##F## is finite, it must be a finite-dimensional vector space and hence, from linear algebra, we know it must be isomorphic to ##S^n## for some finite ##n\in\mathbb N##.
The canonical element of ##S^n## is an ordered ##n##-tuple of elements of ##S##. Since there are ##p## distinct elements of ##S##, that means there are ##p^n## distinct elements of ##S^n##.
Hence, via the vector space isomorphism, we know that ##|F|=|S^n|=p^n##.

You might find it helpful to play around with a couple of examples.
(1) What are the elements of the field ##\mathbb Z_3(\sqrt 2)##, and what is the characteristic and order of this field?
(2) What are the elements of the field ##\mathbb Z_3(\sqrt{-1})##, and what is the characteristic and order of this field?

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
Use the distributive law to prove that the vector space over ##\mathbb Z_p## generated by ##1_F## is a subfield of ##F## of order ##p##, which we can label as ##S##.
Hence ##F## is a field extension of ##S##.
In the previous work (somewhere in D&F, else see the wiki article on Field Extensions) we've seen that a field extension is a vector space over the subfield (ie we mean the subfield ##S## is the scalar field from which scalar multiplication in the vector space ##F## is defined).
Since ##F## is finite, it must be a finite-dimensional vector space and hence, from linear algebra, we know it must be isomorphic to ##S^n## for some finite ##n\in\mathbb N##.
The canonical element of ##S^n## is an ordered ##n##-tuple of elements of ##S##. Since there are ##p## distinct elements of ##S##, that means there are ##p^n## distinct elements of ##S^n##.
Hence, via the vector space isomorphism, we know that ##|F|=|S^n|=p^n##.

You might find it helpful to play around with a couple of examples.
(1) What are the elements of the field ##\mathbb Z_3(\sqrt 2)##, and what is the characteristic and order of this field?
(2) What are the elements of the field ##\mathbb Z_3(\sqrt{-1})##, and what is the characteristic and order of this field?
Thanks so much Andrew ... much clearer now ...

BUT ... I'm struggling a bit when I come to the following step ... ... :

" ... ... Since ##F## is finite, it must be a finite-dimensional vector space and hence, from linear algebra, we know it must be isomorphic to ##S^n## for some finite ##n\in\mathbb N##. ... ... "Can you give an indication of why this statement is true ... ... ?

Can you indicate where it might be proved in full ...?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
I'm struggling a bit when I come to the following step ... ... :

" ... ... Since ##F## is finite, it must be a finite-dimensional vector space and hence, from linear algebra, we know it must be isomorphic to ##S^n## for some finite ##n\in\mathbb N##. ... ... "Can you give an indication of why this statement is true ... ... ?

Can you indicate where it might be proved in full ...?

Peter
There is an argument in this wiki section.
The general theorem is that an ##n## dimensional vector space ##V## over field ##S## is isomorphic to the vector space that is the direct sum of ##n## copies of ##F##, aka ##F^n##.
We can prove it by, given a basis ##b_1,...,b_n## for ##V##, defining a map from ##V## to ##S^n## that is the linear extension of the map that takes ##b_k## to the element of ##S^n## whose components are all ##0_S## except for a ##1_S## in the ##k##th position.

Normally one would use ##F## for the field, but I've used ##S## to be consistent with the notation used above, since ##F## is already being used for something else (the vector space ##V##).

It is straightforward, but instructive, to show that the map is an isomorphism.

Thanks for all your help Andrew ...

... I think I now understand this exercise, thanks to you ...

I have a solution that is a very slight variant of your solution ...

============================================================================

##F## finite field of characteristic ##p####\Longrightarrow## prime subfield of ##F## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{F}_p## and ##p## must be prime ... (Lidl and Niederreiter, Introduction to Finite Fields ... ... , Theorem 1.78 ... ... )also##F## finite means that ##F## has finite dimension over ##\mathbb{F}_p##, say dimension of ##F## over ##\mathbb{F}_p = n####\Longrightarrow## Basis for ##F## over ##\mathbb{F}_p## has ##n## elements##\Longrightarrow## all elements of ##F## are uniquely expressible as

##c_1 v_1 + c_2 v_2 + \ ... \ ... \ \ c_n v_n## ... ... ... (1)where ##c_1, c_2, \ ... \ ... \ \ , c_n \in \mathbb{F}_p ##

and

##v_1, v_2, \ ... \ ... \ \ , v_n \in F##
##\Longrightarrow## number of elements in ##F, |F| = p^n##

since each ##c_i## in expression (1) has ##p## possibilities ... ...=========================================================================Is the above correct?Could someone please critique solution/proof ... is it rigorous ...?Peter

Related to Finite Field of Characterisitic p .... ....

What is a finite field of characteristic p?

A finite field of characteristic p is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of numbers, known as elements, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division defined on these elements. The characteristic p refers to the smallest prime number p that when added to itself a certain number of times, results in 0.

How is a finite field of characteristic p different from a regular field?

A regular field, such as the real numbers, has an infinite number of elements, whereas a finite field of characteristic p has a finite number of elements. Additionally, in a regular field, the elements follow the properties of commutativity and associativity under addition and multiplication, while a finite field of characteristic p may not have these properties.

What are some real-world applications of finite fields of characteristic p?

Finite fields of characteristic p have numerous applications in various fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and error-correcting codes. They are also used in engineering, physics, and computer science for applications such as signal processing, control systems, and data compression.

What is the order of a finite field of characteristic p?

The order of a finite field of characteristic p is the number of elements in the field. It is denoted by q and is equal to p^n, where n is a positive integer. For example, a finite field of characteristic 2 with n=3 would have an order of 2^3 = 8 elements.

How are finite fields of characteristic p constructed?

Finite fields of characteristic p are constructed by taking a polynomial of degree n with coefficients in the field of integers modulo p, and then finding its roots. These roots form the elements of the finite field. There are infinitely many finite fields of characteristic p, and the order of the field determines its unique structure.