Basic Theory of Field Extensions - Exercise from D&F ....

In summary: Eisenstein and where ##... = ( \theta^2 - \theta +10)##In summary, the solution to Exercise 1 is to use Eisenstein's criterion with the prime p = 3 to show that ##p(x) = x^3 + 9x + 6## is irreducible. Then, in the calculation, we use ##p(x)## being irreducible to show that ##( \theta + 1)^{-1} = \frac{ ( \theta^2 - \theta +10) }{4}##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 13 - Field Theory.

I am currently studying Section 13.1 : Basic Theory of Field Extensions

I need some help with an aspect of Exercise 1 ... ...

Exercise 1 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=5c11a9fc6c5daa0da97974cebc72da82.png

Homework Equations

Relevant theorems for this exercise seem to be Theorems 4 and 6 of Section 13.1.

Theorem 4 reads as follows:

Theorem 6 reads as follows:

The Attempt at a Solution

##p(x) = x^2 + 9x + 6## is irreducible by Eisenstein ... ...

Now consider ##(x^2 + 9x + 10) = (x + 1) ( x^2 - x + 10)##

and note that ##(x^2 + 9x + 10) = (x^2 + 9x + 6) + 4## ... ...Now ##\theta## is a root of ##(x^2 + 9x + 6)## so that ...

##( \theta + 1) ( \theta^2 - \theta +10) = ( \theta^2 + 9 \theta + 6) + 4 = 0 +4 = 4##

Thus ##( \theta + 1)^{-1} = \frac{ ( \theta^2 - \theta +10) }{4}## ... ...

Is that correct?... BUT ... if it is correct I am most unsure of exactly where in the calculation we depend on ##p(x)## being irreducible ...

Can someone please explain where exactly in the above calculation we depend on ##p(x)## being irreducible?

Note that I am vaguely aware that we are calculating in ##\mathbb{Q} ( \theta )## ... which is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Q} [x] / ( p(x) )## ... if ##p(x)## is irreducible ...

... BUT ...

I cannot specify the exact point(s) in the above calculation above where the calculation would break down if p(x) was not irreducible ... .. ... .. in fact, I cannot specify any specific points where the calculation would break down ... so I am not understanding the connection of the theory to this exercise ... ...

Can someone please help to clarify this issue ... ...

Peter

Attachments

• D&F - Exercise 1 - Section 13.1 ... ....png
    D&F - Exercise 1 - Section 13.1 ... ....png
    5.5 KB · Views: 360
  • D&F - Theorem 4, Ch 13 ... ....png
    D&F - Theorem 4, Ch 13 ... ....png
    26.3 KB · Views: 351
  • D&F - Theorem 6, Ch 13 ... ....png
    D&F - Theorem 6, Ch 13 ... ....png
    19.1 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
View attachment 203357
If you already have Eisenstein, then yes. Which prime did you use?

and note that ##(x^2 + 9x + 10) = (x^2 + 9x + 6) + 4## ... ...Now ##\theta## is a root of ##(x^2 + 9x + 6)## so that ...

##( \theta + 1) ( \theta^2 - \theta +10) = ( \theta^2 + 9 \theta + 6) + 4 = 0 +4 = 4##

Is that correct?
You can easily check the result by multiplying ##\theta \cdot (1+\theta)##.

On the first view, I wonder where the cube has gone? The minimal polynomial is ##x^3 + \ldots ##.
This means ##\theta^3 +9 \theta + 6 = 0## or ##\theta^3 = -9\theta -6##. Therefore you can use ##x^3=-9x-6## in your method. Myself I did it more stupidly: ##\theta \cdot (a\cdot 1 + b \cdot \theta + c \cdot \theta^2) = 1## and then I used the above equation to get rid of ##\theta^3## and did a comparison of the coefficients of the basis vectors ##\{1,\theta,\theta^2\}## and solved the linear equation system for ##a,b,c##.
Maybe less elegant than your method, but it works. Yours should work, too, with the correct power of ##x##.

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:

Homework Statement

I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 13 - Field Theory.

I am currently studying Section 13.1 : Basic Theory of Field Extensions

I need some help with an aspect of Exercise 1 ... ...

Exercise 1 reads as follows:

View attachment 203357

Homework Equations

Relevant theorems for this exercise seem to be Theorems 4 and 6 of Section 13.1.

Theorem 4 reads as follows:

View attachment 203358

Theorem 6 reads as follows:View attachment 203359

The Attempt at a Solution

Is that correct?... BUT ... if it is correct I am most unsure of exactly where in the calculation we depend on ##p(x)## being irreducible ...

Can someone please explain where exactly in the above calculation we depend on ##p(x)## being irreducible?

Note that I am vaguely aware that we are calculating in ##\mathbb{Q} ( \theta )## ... which is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Q} [x] / ( p(x) )## ... if ##p(x)## is irreducible ...

... BUT ...

I cannot specify the exact point(s) in the above calculation above where the calculation would break down if p(x) was not irreducible ... .. ... .. in fact, I cannot specify any specific points where the calculation would break down ... so I am not understanding the connection of the theory to this exercise ... ...

Peter
My apologies to readers of the above post ... especially apologies to fresh_42 ... there are some silly typos which I will now correct ...

(I wrote out the solution and then typed it into the post making some errors ...)

The (hopefully) correct solution to the exercise is as follows ... but first I will provide the Exercise again ... it reads as follows:

?temp_hash=ac0de9bc829a7fc9c9fa55e9e1fc46d5.png

Now ... my attempt at a solution follows ... with the typos corrected ... =============================================================================================================##p(x) = x^3 + 9x + 6## is irreducible by Eisenstein ... ... use prime = 3Now consider ##(x^3 + 9x + 10) = (x + 1) ( x^2 - x + 10)##

and note that ##(x^3 + 9x + 10) = (x^3 + 9x + 6) + 4## ... ...Now ##\theta## is a root of ##(x^3 + 9x + 6)## so that ...

##( \theta + 1) ( \theta^2 - \theta +10) = ( \theta^3 + 9 \theta + 6) + 4 = 0 +4 = 4##

Is that correct? (I certainly hope that now it is correct!)

=================================================================================================================... ... and now the questions I am REALLY interested in ...
... BUT ... if it is correct I am most unsure of exactly where in the calculation we depend on ##p(x)## being irreducible ...

... BUT ...

Peter[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• D&F - Exercise 1 - Section 13.1 ... ....png
    D&F - Exercise 1 - Section 13.1 ... ....png
    5.5 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
If you already have Eisenstein, then yes. Which prime did you use?

You can easily check the result by multiplying ##\theta \cdot (1+\theta)##.

On the first view, I wonder where the cube has gone? The minimal polynomial is ##x^3 + \ldots ##.
This means ##\theta^3 +9 \theta + 6 = 0## or ##\theta^3 = -9\theta -6##. Therefore you can use ##x^3=-9x-6## in your method. Myself I did it more stupidly: ##\theta \cdot (a\cdot 1 + b \cdot \theta + c \cdot \theta^2) = 1## and then I used the above equation to get rid of ##\theta^3## and did a comparison of the coefficients of the basis vectors ##\{1,\theta,\theta^2\}## and solved the linear equation system for ##a,b,c##.
Maybe less elegant than your method, but it works. Yours should work, too, with the correct power of ##x##.
Thanks for the help fresh_42 ... BUT ... my apologies for some silly typos ...

I wrote out my attempt before typing it into the forum and made some typos when copying it ...

I have now corrected these in a new post which I hope you will find is correct ... many apologies ...

I have followed that by the questions that I am really interested in ... and puzzled by ...

Hope you can help ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
##p(x) = x^3 + 9x + 6## is irreducible by Eisenstein ... ... use prime = 3
Now consider ##(x^3 + 9x + 10) = (x + 1) ( x^2 - x + 10)##
and note that ##(x^3 + 9x + 10) = (x^3 + 9x + 6) + 4## ... ...
Now ##\theta## is a root of ##(x^3 + 9x + 6)## so that ...
##( \theta + 1) ( \theta^2 - \theta +10) = ( \theta^3 + 9 \theta + 6) + 4 = 0 +4 = 4##
Is that correct? (I certainly hope that now it is correct!)
No need for apologies. Yes, it is correct now.
... ... and now the questions I am REALLY interested in ...
... BUT ... if it is correct I am most unsure of exactly where in the calculation we depend on ##p(x)## being irreducible ...
Nowhere directly. It is implicitely used by the fact that ##\{1,\theta,\theta^2\}## is a basis in which we can express ##(1+\theta)^{-1}##. Otherwise we would have ##p(x)=(x-a)q(x)## with a quadratic polynomial ##q(x)## and an element ##a \in \mathbb{Q}##. This way we would get ##\mathbb{Q}(\theta) = \mathbb{Q}(\varphi)## for a ##\varphi## with ##q(\varphi)=0## and ##\{1,\varphi\}## would be a basis of ##\mathbb{Q}(\theta)## and no quadratic terms would be needed.

Try the same exercise with ##r(x)=x^3+2x^2-2x-4## and a root ##r(\theta)=0## and see what happens. What is ##(1+\theta)^{-1}## in this case?

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
No need for apologies. Yes, it is correct now.

Nowhere directly. It is implicitely used by the fact that ##\{1,\theta,\theta^2\}## is a basis in which we can express ##(1+\theta)^{-1}##. Otherwise we would have ##p(x)=(x-a)q(x)## with a quadratic polynomial ##q(x)## and an element ##a \in \mathbb{Q}##. This way we would get ##\mathbb{Q}(\theta) = \mathbb{Q}(\varphi)## for a ##\varphi## with ##q(\varphi)=0## and ##\{1,\varphi\}## would be a basis of ##\mathbb{Q}(\theta)## and no quadratic terms would be needed.

Try the same exercise with ##r(x)=x^3+2x^2-2x-4## and a root ##r(\theta)=0## and see what happens. What is ##(1+\theta)^{-1}## in this case?
Thanks fresh_42 ...

Now for your exercise ...

##r(x)=x^3+2x^2-2x-4## is reducible in ##\mathbb{Q}## since ...

... ##r(x)=x^3+2x^2-2x-4 = (x + 2) ( x^2 - 2) ##BUT ... the approach I used before still seems to work! ... see below ... ( but I have the feeling that it should not work ...)... now consider ##( x^3 + 2 x^2 - 2x - 3 ) = (x + 1 ) ( x^2 + x - 3)##

Also note that ##( x^3+2x^2-2x-4 ) = ( x^3+2x^2-2x-3 ) - 1 = (x + 1 ) ( x^2 + x - 3) - 1##But we know ##r( \theta ) = ( \theta^3 + 2 \theta^2 - 2 \theta - 4 ) = 0 ##

so that ... ...

##( \theta^3 + 2 \theta^2 - 2 \theta - 4 ) = 0 = ( \theta + 1) ( \theta^2 + \theta - 3 ) - 1##

Thus ##0 + 1 = ( \theta + 1) ( \theta^2 + \theta - 3 )##

So ... ##( 1 + \theta )^{ -1 } = ( \theta^2 + \theta - 3 )##So, it appears that ##r(x)## being reducible makes no difference to the mechanics of finding the inverse of ##( \theta + 1)## ... doesn't it matter to this process that ##r(x)## is reducible ...?

Can you help explain how the theory of field extensions squares with the above ...?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
So, it appears that ##r(x)## being reducible makes no difference to the mechanics of finding the inverse of ##( \theta + 1)## ... doesn't it matter to this process that ##r(x)## is reducible ...?
Yes, it makes no difference and all three roots ##\{-2,\pm \sqrt{2}\}## satisfy this equation. It is simply not the shortest way to express them, as ##\{1,\theta,\theta^2\}## isn't a basis anymore: ##\theta^2=2## or ##\theta =-2## are in ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\theta^2+\theta -3 = \theta -1## or ##\theta^2+\theta -3 = \theta +1##. One can always add new vectors to a basis and get different linear combinations to the expense of losing linear independency and the uniqueness of expression.

The irreducibilty of ##p(x)## guaranteed, that ##\{1,\theta,\ldots,\theta^{\deg p -1}\}## is a basis. If it wasn't, then we would have a linear equation among them and ##p(x)## would be reducible.

We could also consider ##\mathbb{Q}(x)/\langle x \rangle## or ##\mathbb{Q}(x)/\langle x - 1\rangle##, call ##\theta## a root of ##r(x)=x## or ##r(x)=x-1## and express rational numbers in terms of ##\{1,\theta\}##. Would be a bit inconvenient, but why not?

Likes Math Amateur

Related to Basic Theory of Field Extensions - Exercise from D&F ....

1. What is the basic theory of field extensions?

The basic theory of field extensions is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra that deals with extending a field by adding new elements to it. It allows for the creation of larger fields that contain the original field as a subset.

2. How is the basic theory of field extensions used in mathematics?

The theory of field extensions is used in many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and Galois theory. It provides a powerful tool for studying the properties of algebraic equations and their solutions.

3. What are the main properties of field extensions?

The main properties of field extensions include closure (the extended field contains all elements of the original field), commutativity (the order of operations does not matter), and associativity (the way operations are performed does not matter).

4. How are field extensions related to vector spaces?

Field extensions can be thought of as generalizations of vector spaces, where the scalars are elements of a field instead of just real or complex numbers. This allows for more flexibility in the structure of the extended space.

5. What is the significance of the Galois group in field extensions?

The Galois group is a fundamental concept in the theory of field extensions. It describes the symmetries of the field extension and can be used to determine whether a polynomial equation can be solved using radicals (root extraction) or not.