Finding the Volume of a Solid.

In summary, to find the volume of a solid by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line, you can use the formula V=2\pi\int_a^b (\text{outer radius})^2-(\text{inner radius})^2\,dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and the radii are the distance between the axis of rotation and the functions that bound the region. Using this formula, you can find the volume of the solid by rotating the region bounded by x=y^2 and x=1-y^2 about x=3.
shamieh
Find the Volume of a Solid by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

\(\displaystyle x = y^2\), \(\displaystyle x = 1 - y^2\), about \(\displaystyle x = 3\)

So here is how far I've gotten with this problem. I need help though. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.. One of the problems is I don't understand what "about x = 3" means exactly? Like what do they mean "about x = 3?" Anyways here is what I have:

I have a right and left parabola basically. I set the two equal to each other to find lines of intersection.

\(\displaystyle
y^2 = 1 - y^2\)

thus;
\(\displaystyle y = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{{2}}\)So I know the areas are even symmetry so I can say \(\displaystyle 2\pi \int^\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}_0 (Right - left)dy \)

right?

so am i correct in saying \(\displaystyle 2\pi \int^\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}_0 (1 - y^2)^2 - (y^2)^2 dy\)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a plot:

View attachment 1859

Imagine the plot rotated 90° clockwise. Now the outer radius of an arbitrary washer will be the distance between the axis of rotation $x=3$ and the function $x=y^2$, while the inner radius will be the distance from the axis of rotation and the function $x=1-y^2$.

You are correct that you can use symmetry as follows:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_0^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} (\text{outer radius})^2-(\text{inner radius})^2\,dy\)

Can you find the radii?

Attachments

• shamieh2.jpg
    shamieh2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 46
\(\displaystyle 2\pi \int ^\sqrt{2/2}_0 (3 - y^2)^2 - (3 - (1 - y^2)^2 dy \)

\(\displaystyle 2\pi \int^\sqrt{2/2}_0 9 - 6y^2 + y^4 - 3 + 1 + 2y^2 - y^4\)

\(\displaystyle = 2\pi \int^\sqrt{2/2}_0 5 - 8y^2 + 2y^4 \)

Is this correct?

shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle 2\pi \int ^\sqrt{2/2}_0 (3 - y^2)^2 - (3 - (1 - y^2)^2 dy \)

\(\displaystyle 2\pi \int^\sqrt{2/2}_0 9 - 6y^2 + y^4 - 3 + 1 + 2y^2 - y^4\)

\(\displaystyle = 2\pi \int^\sqrt{2/2}_0 5 - 8y^2 + 2y^4 \)

Is this correct?

Your upper limit should be \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\) or \(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\).

Now, your integrand in the first line is correct, except for a missing closing bracket. After that you have made some algebra mistakes. You should initially have:

\(\displaystyle \left(3-y^2 \right)^2-\left(3-\left(1-y^2 \right) \right)^2\)

Now, let's first distribute the negative sign in the second term:

\(\displaystyle \left(3-y^2 \right)^2-\left(3-1+y^2 \right)^2\)

Collect like terms:

\(\displaystyle \left(3-y^2 \right)^2-\left(2+y^2 \right)^2\)

Expand:

\(\displaystyle \left(9-6y^2+y^4 \right)-\left(4+4y^2+y^4 \right)\)

Distribute negative sign and remove brackets:

\(\displaystyle 9-6y^2+y^4-4-4y^2-y^4\)

Collect like terms:

\(\displaystyle 5-10y^2=5\left(1-2y^2 \right)\)

And so you may state:

\(\displaystyle V=10\pi\int_0^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} 1-2y^2\,dy\)

Thanks for helping me with my signs Mark. Seems like that was the hardest part of the whole problem lol.

so

\(\displaystyle 10 * (y - \frac{2y^3}{3}) | 0 to \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{30\pi\sqrt{2}}{6} - \frac{10\pi}{6} = \frac{10\pi\sqrt{2}}{3}\)

WOW! What a problem. Is this correct? I'm praying it is

Yes, that's correct:

\(\displaystyle V=10\pi\left[y-\frac{2}{3}y^3 \right]_0^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}= \frac{10\pi}{\sqrt{2}}\left(1-\frac{2}{3}\cdot\frac{1}{2} \right)= \frac{10\pi}{\sqrt{2}}\cdot\frac{2}{3}= \frac{20\pi}{3\sqrt{2}}= \frac{10\sqrt{2}\pi}{3}\)

Related to Finding the Volume of a Solid.

1. What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the measure of the amount of space an object takes up.

2. How do you find the volume of a solid?

To find the volume of a solid, you need to measure the length, width, and height of the object and then multiply these dimensions together. The resulting number will be the volume in cubic units.

3. Can the volume of a solid change?

Yes, the volume of a solid can change if its dimensions change. For example, if you cut a cube in half, the volume will be reduced by half as well.

4. What are the units of volume?

The most common units of volume are cubic centimeters (cm3) and cubic meters (m3). However, depending on the size of the object, other units such as liters (L) or gallons (gal) may also be used.

5. How is finding the volume of a solid useful in real life?

Finding the volume of a solid is useful in many real-life applications such as construction, manufacturing, and cooking. It allows us to accurately measure and calculate the amount of space an object takes up, which can be important for determining materials needed, capacity of containers, or serving sizes for recipes.