Calculate volume of a solid rotating around the y-axis

In summary, to find the volume of the solid created by rotating the limited area in the plane around the y-axis, the method of cylindrical shells is recommended. The limits of integration are determined by finding the intersection points of the function f(x)=3*x/(x^2+1) and the line y=1, which are (-3/2-sqrt(5/2), -3/2+sqrt(5/2), 3/2-sqrt(5/2), and 3/2+sqrt(5/2)). The volume can then be calculated using the formula V = 2*pi * integral from a to b of (3 - 3/(x^2+1) - x)dx
Nivelo
Sorry if i made any language errors, English isn't my first language.
Question: The limited area in the plane is created when the space between the line y=1 and the graph to the function f(x)=3*x/(x^2+1) rotates around the y-axis. Calculate the volume of the solid.I want to sum up all the circular discs that make up the body in order to get the volume. One disc has the
base area: pi*radius^2 * the height dy. Since its rotating around the y-axis i assume i first need to find the inverse by solving x from y since the radius is the distance from the y-axis and therefore x. I assume the limits of the x-axis is where f(x)=1 and when i solve this i get 4 points, 2 left of the y-axis and 2 right, which i listed below. Since i find the inverse and integrate over y i want the inverse limits. I get the lower limit to y=1 and the upper to y=3/2 (from finding maximum). The problem is i get a very complicated integral which makes me think its wrong and it also not the same as the correct answer.
I get the integral I=2*pi*integral from 1 to 3/2 of (3+sqrt(9-4*y^2)/(2*y))^2)dy)

My question is if my limits are correct and if i need to integrate on both sides of the y-axis or if i can mulitply by 2 instead.
I am a bit lost on this question and would appreciate some guidance in general. Can u give me some steps and data I've missed?

Limits x
X1=(-3/2)-sqrt(5/2)
X2=(-3/2)+sqrt(5/2
X3=(3/2)-sqrt(5/2
X4=(3/2)+sqrt(5/2

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
recommend the method of cylindrical shells ...

shell height as a function of x

$h(x) = f(x)-1$

shell circumference as a function of x

$C(x) = 2\pi \cdot x$

shell thickness = $dx$

$\displaystyle dV = h(x) \cdot C(x) \cdot dx \implies V = \int_a^b h(x) \cdot C(x) \cdot dx$

determine the limits of integration, $a$ and $b$ ...

$\dfrac{3x}{x^2+1} = 1 \implies x = \dfrac{3 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2} \implies a = \dfrac{3 - \sqrt{5}}{2} \text{ and } b = \dfrac{3 + \sqrt{5}}{2}$

\(\displaystyle V = 2\pi \int_a^b \left(\dfrac{3x}{x^2+1}-1\right) \cdot x \, dx =2\pi \int_a^b 3 - \dfrac{3}{x^2+1}-x \, dx \)

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a solid rotating around the y-axis?

The formula for calculating the volume of a solid rotating around the y-axis is V = ∫(πx^2)dy, where x represents the distance from the y-axis to the edge of the solid and dy represents the thickness of each disc.

How do you determine the limits of integration for calculating the volume?

The limits of integration can be determined by finding the points where the solid intersects the y-axis. These points will be the upper and lower limits of the integral.

Can the volume of a solid rotating around the y-axis be negative?

No, the volume of a solid cannot be negative. The volume represents the amount of space occupied by the solid, and it is always a positive value.

What is the difference between using the disk method and the shell method for calculating volume?

The disk method involves slicing the solid perpendicular to the axis of rotation, while the shell method involves slicing the solid parallel to the axis of rotation. The resulting integrals and limits of integration will be different for each method.

How does changing the shape of the solid affect the volume when using the disk method?

Changing the shape of the solid will affect the limits of integration and the formula for calculating the volume. However, the concept of using discs to calculate the volume remains the same.