Finding the total production of oil given a rate.

• Thread starter turbokaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil Rate
In summary, the problem asks for the total oil produced by a well, with flow rate f(t) = 54/(t+3)^2 barrels per month, in its second three months of operation. The answer is found by evaluating the definite integral from t=4 to t=6, which gives a total of 300 barrels of oil produced.
turbokaz

Homework Statement

Oil is flowing from a well in a continuous stream at a rate of
f(t) =54/(t + 3)^2 barrels per month (in multiples of 100). Find
the total oil produced by the well in its second
three months of operation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer choices are 300, 250, 350, 450, 400.
Now, I found the problem worded strangely, but here goes. f(t) is a derivative, so I took the integral of f(t) and got -54/(t+3). The question asks for how much is produced in its second three months, so I took that as 6 months total. Plug in 6 for t and get -6 barrels. But it is in multiples of 100, so 600 barrels produced in the 6 months? So if its asking for oil produced in its "second three months of operation", then in those three months it produced 300 barrels? I hate the wording of the question, and that is the only way I could interpret it and get an answer choice that was provided. Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I take "second three months" to mean between t=4 and t=6 (where the first three are t=1 to t=3, though it's ambiguous enough that it could be between t=0 and t=2). So you evaluate the definite integral

[tex]\int_4^6\ f(t)\ dt[/tex]

I would integrate 5400/(t+3)^2 for t=3 to t=6. So I'd probably say 300 as well. But not quite for the reasons you give.

Related to Finding the total production of oil given a rate.

1. How do you calculate the rate of oil production?

To calculate the rate of oil production, you need to divide the total amount of oil produced over a certain time period by the number of hours or days in that time period.

2. What is the unit of measurement for oil production rate?

The most common unit of measurement for oil production rate is barrels per day (bpd), but it can also be measured in barrels per hour (bph) or barrels per month (bpm).

3. Can the rate of oil production change over time?

Yes, the rate of oil production can change over time due to various factors such as depletion of resources, changes in technology, and market demand.

4. How do you find the total production of oil when given the rate?

The total production of oil can be found by multiplying the rate of oil production by the number of hours or days in the given time period.

5. What other factors should be considered when calculating the total production of oil?

Aside from the rate of oil production, other factors that should be considered when calculating the total production of oil include the efficiency of the extraction process, the quality of the oil, and any external factors that may affect production such as weather or political events.