Lifetime of oil with exponential consumption rate

In summary: This is exactly the way I wrote it in the post.Using the approximation you've been instructed to use, along with what Ray V gave you leaves you withS = 100 \sum_{i=0}^{t -1}(1.01)^i.= 100 \sum_{i=0}^{t -1}\left(1+(0.01)i\right).This is exactly the way I wrote it in the post.In summary, the total amount of oil in a well is 24,000 barrels and the present rate of consumption is 100 barrels per year. If the present yearly rate of consumption increases by 1% per year, the gas supply will last for approximately 142 years
doombanana

Homework Statement

The total amount of oil in a well is 24000 barrels. The present rate of consumption is 100 barrels per year. How long will the gas supply last if the present yearly rate of consumption increases by 1% per year?

Homework Equations

We can use the approximation [itex](1+x)^i = 1+xi[/itex] (1)
[itex]\sum i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex] (2)
and the quadratic formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Using (1), the amount of oil left at any given year is [itex]y=24000-100(1+.01t)[/itex].

The sum of (2) should equal the total number of barrels (24000).

let [itex]n = 100+t[/itex] where t is the final year

substituting n into (2) gives
[itex]\frac{(100+t)^2 + (100+t)}{2} = 24000[/itex]

which gives
[itex] 0= t^2-201t-37900[/itex]

this gives a value of t= 119 years, but when I plug in my equation for y into Excel I get 142 years so I know I'm doing something wrong. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
doombanana said:

Homework Statement

The total amount of oil in a well is 24000 barrels. The present rate of consumption is 100 barrels per year. How long will the gas supply last if the present yearly rate of consumption increases by 1% per year?

Homework Equations

We can use the approximation [itex](1+x)^i = 1+xi[/itex] (1)
This is not a good approximation for an exponential function. After approximately 70 years, rate of consumption will have doubled to 200 barrels per year.
[itex]\sum i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex] (2)
and the quadratic formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Using (1), the amount of oil left at any given year is [itex]y=24000-100(1+.01t)[/itex].

The sum of (2) should equal the total number of barrels (24000).

let [itex]n = 100+t[/itex] where t is the final year

substituting n into (2) gives
[itex]\frac{(100+t)^2 + (100+t)}{2} = 24000[/itex]

which gives
[itex] 0= t^2-201t-37900[/itex]

this gives a value of t= 119 years, but when I plug in my equation for y into Excel I get 142 years so I know I'm doing something wrong. Thank you for your help.
Try modeling this as a geometric progression.

SammyS said:
This is not a good approximation for an exponential function. After approximately 70 years, rate of consumption will have doubled to 200 barrels per year.

We were told that the approximation does overestimate the lifetime by about 20 years. The equations I listed in the relevant equations section were given as hints as to how to solve the problem. By doing this he kind of explicitly walked us through the solution of the problem, but for some reason I'm not getting it.

SammyS said:
Try modeling this as a geometric progression.

I've done this for both the approximation (24000 - 100(1+.01i) gives 142 years) and the exact equation (24000 - 100(1+.01)^i gives 122 years). This was a test question, though, so I should be able to calculate this by hand and get a lifetime of 142 years.

I assume I'm doing the sum wrong, as I can't see any other place that I could have made an error.

doombanana said:
We were told that the approximation does overestimate the lifetime by about 20 years. The equations I listed in the relevant equations section were given as hints as to how to solve the problem. By doing this he kind of explicitly walked us through the solution of the problem, but for some reason I'm not getting it.

I've done this for both the approximation (24000 - 100(1+.01i) gives 142 years) and the exact equation (24000 - 100(1+.01)^i gives 122 years). This was a test question, though, so I should be able to calculate this by hand and get a lifetime of 142 years.

I assume I'm doing the sum wrong, as I can't see any other place that I could have made an error.

The total amount used by time t is
[tex] S = 100 \sum_{i=0}^{t -1}(1.01)^i. [/tex]
Note: this formula reckons the timing of consumption as follows. It assumes that consumption in year 1 (= interval from times t = 0 to t = 1) is 100, that consumption in year 2 (= interval from times t = 1 to t = 2) is 101, etc. If you use the formula for a finite geometric sum and solve the equation S = 24000, you will find out how many years the oil will last.

Using the approximation you've been instructed to use, along with what Ray V gave you leaves you with
[itex]\displaystyle S = 100 \sum_{i=0}^{t -1}(1.01)^i.[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \quad\ = 100 \sum_{i=0}^{t -1}\left(1+(0.01)i\right)\ .[/itex]​

Related to Lifetime of oil with exponential consumption rate

1. How is the lifetime of oil calculated?

The lifetime of oil is calculated by dividing the total amount of oil reserves by the current rate of consumption. This gives an estimate of how many years the oil supply will last if consumption continues at the same rate.

2. What factors affect the lifetime of oil?

The lifetime of oil is affected by various factors such as demand for oil, technological advancements in oil extraction and production, and the discovery of new oil reserves. Political and economic factors can also play a role in the availability of oil.

3. Is the lifetime of oil a fixed number?

No, the lifetime of oil is not a fixed number. It is constantly changing due to the factors mentioned above. As new reserves are discovered and consumption patterns change, the estimated lifetime of oil can increase or decrease.

4. Will we run out of oil?

The lifetime of oil is not a clear indicator of when we will run out of oil. While it may seem that we are consuming oil at an unsustainable rate, new reserves are being discovered and technologies are being developed to extract oil from unconventional sources. It is difficult to predict when we will run out of oil, but it is important to find alternative sources of energy to reduce our reliance on oil.

5. How can we extend the lifetime of oil?

The lifetime of oil can be extended by reducing our overall consumption through conservation efforts and finding alternative sources of energy. Developing more efficient technologies for oil extraction and using renewable energy sources can also help extend the lifetime of oil. It is important for governments and individuals to make sustainable choices to reduce our reliance on oil and preserve this valuable resource for future generations.