Continuous Compounding over 12 months (finding the rate)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the continuous compounding rate for a program, using the formula A=Pe^rt and solving for r. The output table shows the amount at each month, with the initial value at month 0 being 20 and the final value at month 12 being 33. The calculated rate is approximately 0.0417, and the table shows the gradual increase in amount over the 12 months.
tomadom
This problem is actually for a program I'm writing and I've forgotten my basic maths.I have an initial value starting at period 0 . That value is 20.
At the end of 12 periods (period 12) I have a value of 33.

So I know the last value is 33 and the first value is 20 and I want to find the
continuous compounding rate so that I can apply it at any of the periods 1 to 11 and chart the output. I need to find r.

I know the formula is A = Pe^rt but I get stuck.

33 = 20*e^r at the 12 period, but if it's continuously compounded then I'm not sure what to do with t because:

log(33/20) = r gives me the total amount of interest accumed for that 12 months (21.75%) I think. So I divide that rate by 12 = 1.81% for each month on top of the previous month. But by the time that 12th month is reached I'm at 66.15 not 33.

So conceptually I'm getting mixed up somewhere? Could someone show me?..
Thanks

0 - 20
1 - ?
2 - ?
3 - ?
4 - ?
5 - ?
6 - ?
7 - ?
8 - ?
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - 33

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your formula is correct:

\(\displaystyle A=Pe^{rt}\)

Plug in known values:

\(\displaystyle 33=20e^{12r}\)

Solve for $r$:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{1}{12}\ln\left(\frac{33}{20}\right)\approx0.04173127399270744\)

Thus, we find:

\(\displaystyle A(t)=20\left(\frac{33}{20}\right)^{\frac{t}{12}}\)

Now we can fill in the table (rounded to the nearest penny):

Month
Amount
0\$20.00
1\$20.85
2\$21.74
3\$22.67
4\$23.63
5\$24.64
6\$25.69
7\$26.79
8\$27.93
9\$29.12
10\$30.36
11\$31.65
12\$33.00

Thanks very much for that.. Very neat explanation.

Related to Continuous Compounding over 12 months (finding the rate)

1. How do you calculate the continuous compounding rate over 12 months?

The continuous compounding rate over 12 months can be calculated using the formula: r = (ln(P/F))/n, where r is the continuous interest rate, P is the initial investment, F is the future value, and n is the number of compounding periods. In this case, n would be equal to 12 for 12 months.

2. Is continuous compounding the same as compound interest?

No, continuous compounding and compound interest are two different concepts. Continuous compounding refers to the process of calculating interest continuously, while compound interest refers to the process of adding interest to the principal amount at specific intervals.

3. Why is continuous compounding used over traditional compounding methods?

Continuous compounding is used because it allows for the calculation of interest to be more precise and accurate. In traditional compounding methods, the interest is only calculated at specific intervals, while continuous compounding calculates interest constantly.

4. Can the continuous compounding rate vary over 12 months?

Yes, the continuous compounding rate can vary over 12 months. The rate is dependent on factors such as the initial investment, time period, and the interest rate. If any of these factors change, the continuous compounding rate will also change.

5. How is continuous compounding different from simple interest?

Continuous compounding and simple interest are two different methods of calculating interest. Simple interest only takes into account the initial principal amount, while continuous compounding takes into account the growth of the investment over time. Additionally, simple interest is calculated at fixed intervals, while continuous compounding calculates interest continuously.