Finding solution to second order non linear dif. equation with IV

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving an equation of the form c'' = f(c). It involves rewriting the equation and integrating both sides to obtain the final result. The conversation also mentions constants and known initial values.
gsarantop
Hi, I'm trying to solve this exercise:
0=<x=<a
D*C''(x)= A*C(x)/ [K+C(x)]
D, A and K are constants
and we know the following IV:
C(0)= Known (number)
C''(a)=0
Do you have any idea how I may proceed with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick to solving equations like this, of the form c'' = f(c), is to write [tex] c''(x) = \frac{dc'}{dx} = \frac{dc'}{dc}\frac{dc}{dx} = c'\frac{dc'}{dc}[/tex]. Then, since c' dc'/dc = f(c), c' dc' = f(c) dc, you can integrate both sides and solve for c', which you can then integrate a second time to get the final result.

Related to Finding solution to second order non linear dif. equation with IV

1. How do I solve a second order non-linear differential equation?

To solve a second order non-linear differential equation, you can use various methods such as substitution, power series, or numerical methods. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the highest order derivative and then solving for it.

2. What is the importance of initial values in solving a second order non-linear differential equation?

Initial values, also known as initial conditions, are essential in solving a second order non-linear differential equation because they provide the starting point for the solution. These values help to determine the particular solution to the differential equation.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a second order non-linear differential equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator or a computer program to solve a second order non-linear differential equation. However, it is important to note that these solutions may not always be exact, and it is always recommended to check the solution manually.

4. How do I know if my solution to a second order non-linear differential equation is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by substituting it back into the original equation. If the equation is satisfied, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the solution and compare it to the original equation.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving second order non-linear differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving second order non-linear differential equations, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. These equations are used to model various real-world phenomena, including motion, population growth, and chemical reactions.