Finding laplace transform

In summary, the conversation discussed two different approaches to solving a problem involving Laplace transforms. The first approach used a known formula and the second approach used a different formula. The person sharing the conversation realized they had made an error in their second approach and corrected it. They also discussed the possibility of slight differences in the methods used, but ultimately both approaches led to the same final expression. The importance of double checking work and being able to recognize and correct mistakes was emphasized.
Drain Brain

I came across this problem and solved it using different approach. I get a slightly different answers.

here's how it goes,

1st approach

$\mathscr{L}[te^{2t}\cos(3t)]$

first I get the laplace of something that's familiar to me which is $\mathscr{L}[t\cos(3t)]$

using this $\mathscr{L}[t^nf(t)]=(-1)^n\frac{d^n}{ds^n}\mathscr{L}[f(t)]$ $\mathscr{L}[t\cos(3t)]= -\frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{s}{s^2+9}\right)$
=$ -\left(\frac{(s^2+9)(1)-s(2s)}{(s^2+9)^2}\right) = \frac{-s^2-9+2s^2}{(s^2+9)^2} = \frac{s^2-9}{(s^2+9)^2}$
shift:

$\mathscr{L}[te^{2t}\cos(3t)]= \frac{(s-2)^2-9}{\left((s-2)^2+9\right)^2}=\frac{s^2-4s+4-9}{\left(s^2-4s+4+9\right)^2} = \frac{s^2-4s-5}{\left(s^2-4s+13\right)^2}$

$\mathscr{L}[te^{2t}\cos(3t)]= \frac{s^2-4s-5}{\left(s^2-4s+13\right)^2}$***

2nd approach

First I get $\mathscr{L}[e^{2t}\cos(3t)]$

using $\mathscr{L}[e^{\alpha t}f(t)] = F(s-\alpha)$

$\mathscr{L}[e^{2t}\cos(3t)]$ --->>> $\mathscr{L}[\cos(3t)] = \frac{s}{s^2+9}|_{s-->s-2} = \frac{s-2}{s^2-4s+13} $

now using $\mathscr{L}[t^nf(t)]=(-1)^n\frac{d^n}{ds^n}\mathscr{L}[f(t)]$

=$ -\frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{s-2}{s^2-4s+13}\right) = (s-2)\frac{d}{ds}(s^2-4s+13)^{-1}+(s^2-4s+13)^{-1}\frac{d}{ds}(s-2)$

= $(s-2)(-(s^2-4s+13)^{-2}(2s-4))+(s^2-4s+13)^{1}$

=$-(s^2-4s+13)^{-2}(2s-4)(s-2)+(s^2-4s+13)^{-1}$

=$-(s^2-4s+13)^{-2}(2s^2-8s+8)+(s^2-4s+13)^{-1}$

=$-\frac{2s^2-8s+8}{(s^2-4s+13)^2}+\frac{1}{(s^2-4s+13)}$

= $\frac{-2s^2+8s-8+s^2-4s+13}{(s^2-4s+13)^2}$

= $\frac{-s^2+4s+5}{(s^2-4s+13)^2}$
$\mathscr{L}[te^{2t}\cos(3t)]=\frac{-s^2+4s+5}{(s^2-4s+13)^2}$ ***

I can't figure out why they were different please help me to spot the error.

thanks!I think I found it! arghhh I'm kind of sleepy I missed the -1 on the 2nd method!(Headbang)(Headbang)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your approaches to solving this problem. It seems like you have already identified the error in your second approach - missing the negative sign. This can often happen when we are working on problems late at night or when we are tired. It's important to always double check our work and make sure we haven't made any simple mistakes.

In terms of why the two approaches give slightly different answers, it could be due to rounding errors or slight differences in the methods used. However, both of your final answers seem to simplify to the same expression, so they are essentially equivalent.

In any case, it's great that you were able to spot the error and correct it. This is an important skill for scientists - being able to recognize and correct mistakes in our work. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and study dynamic systems.

2. Why do we use Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms allow us to solve differential equations in the frequency domain, which can be more convenient and efficient than solving them in the time domain. They also make it easier to analyze complex systems and understand their behavior.

3. How do you find the Laplace transform of a function?

To find the Laplace transform of a function, we use a specific formula that involves integrating the function with respect to time and multiplying it by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex number. This results in a new function of s, which is the Laplace transform of the original function.

4. Can all functions be transformed using Laplace transforms?

No, not all functions have a Laplace transform. The function must be piecewise continuous and have exponential order, meaning it must not grow faster than an exponential function as t approaches infinity. Also, some functions may have a Laplace transform that cannot be expressed in a closed form.

5. What are the applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, mathematics, and economics. They are commonly used in control systems, signal processing, circuit analysis, and solving differential equations. They are also useful in studying the stability and response of systems to different inputs.