Inverse laplace transform of a function

In summary: Yes, that is correct. In summary, the inverse Laplace of $\displaystyle \frac{n\pi L}{L^2s^2+n^2 \pi^{2}}$ is $\displaystyle \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)t$.
Drain Brain

find the inverse Laplace of the ff:

1. $\frac{n\pi L}{L^2s^2+n^2 \pi^{2}}$

2. $\frac{18s-12}{9s^2-1}$
for the 2nd prob

I did partial fractions

$\frac{18s-12}{9s^2-1}=\frac{9}{3s+1}-\frac{3}{3s-1}$

$\mathscr{L}^{-1}\{\frac{18s-12}{9s^2-1}\} = \frac{9}{3}\left(\frac{1}{s+\frac{1}{3}}\right)-\frac{3}{3}\left(\frac{1}{s-\frac{1}{3}}\right)$

=$3e^{-\frac{1}{3}t}-e^{\frac{1}{3}t}$ please check

any hint for prob 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:

find the inverse Laplace of the ff:

1. $\frac{n\pi L}{L^2s^2+n^2 \pi^{2}}$

2. $\frac{18s-12}{9s^2-1}$
for the 2nd prob

I did partial fractions

$\frac{18s-12}{9s^2-1}=\frac{9}{3s+1}-\frac{3}{3s-1}$

$\mathscr{L}^{-1}\{\frac{18s-12}{9s^2-1}\} = \frac{9}{3}\left(\frac{1}{s+\frac{1}{3}}\right)-\frac{3}{3}\left(\frac{1}{s-\frac{1}{3}}\right)$

=$3e^{-\frac{1}{3}t}-e^{\frac{1}{3}t}$ please check

any hint for prob 1?

Your second looks correct. As for the first, take out $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{L^2} \end{align*}$ as a factor and then the denominator will be a $\displaystyle \begin{align*} s^2 + a^2 \end{align*}$ form...

please check my work

pulling out a factor of$\frac{1}{L^2}$

$\frac{1}{L^2}\left[\frac{n\pi L}{s^2+\left(\frac{n\pi L}{L}\right)^2} \right]$
$\mathscr{L}^{-1}\{\frac{n\pi L}{L^2s^2+n^2 \pi^{2}}\} =\frac{n\pi L}{L^2}\cdot \frac{L}{n\pi}\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)= \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}\right)t$

did I get the correct answer?

Last edited:

Related to Inverse laplace transform of a function

What is the inverse Laplace transform of a function?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain (i.e. a function of s) and returns the original function in the time domain.

How do you perform the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform can be performed using various methods, such as partial fraction decomposition, the method of residues, or the use of tables and properties of Laplace transforms.

What is the purpose of using the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is used to solve differential equations and systems of differential equations in the time domain, which are often difficult or impossible to solve using other methods.

What are some common properties of the inverse Laplace transform?

Some common properties of the inverse Laplace transform include linearity, time shifting, and differentiation/integration in the time domain corresponding to multiplication/division by s in the Laplace domain.

Can the inverse Laplace transform be applied to any function?

No, the inverse Laplace transform can only be applied to functions that have a Laplace transform. This means that the function must be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities in the time domain.