Laplace transform of a function II

In summary: Yes, your answer for the second problem is correct. Another way to solve it would be to use the Laplace transform of a sine function: $\mathscr{L}\{\sin(at)\} = \frac{a}{s^2+a^2}$ and then use the time translation property to get the final answer.
Drain Brain

$\mathscr{L}\{\sin^{2}4t\}$

$\mathscr{L}\{\sin(3t-\frac{1}{2}\}$for the 2nd prob here's what I have tried
$\mathscr{L}\{\sin(3t)\cos(0.5)-\cos(3t)\sin(0.5)}$

$\cos(0.5)\mathscr{L}\{\sin(3t)\}-\sin(0.5) \mathscr{L}\{\cos(3t)\}$

$\frac{3\cos(0.5)-s\sin(0.5)}{s^2+9}$ ---> is this correct?

for the firt prob can you give me hint on how to deal with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:

$\mathscr{L}\{\sin^{2}4t\}$

$\mathscr{L}\{\sin(3t-\frac{1}{2}\}$for the 2nd prob here's what I have tried
$\mathscr{L}\{\sin(3t)\cos(0.5)-\cos(3t)\sin(0.5)}$

$\cos(0.5)\mathscr{L}\{\sin(3t)\}-\sin(0.5) \mathscr{L}\{\cos(3t)\}$

$\frac{3\cos(0.5)-s\sin(0.5)}{s^2+9}$ ---> is this correct?

for the firt prob can you give me hint on how to deal with it.

Hint: $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sin^2{(x)} \equiv \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2}\cos{ \left( 2\theta \right) } \end{align*}$

Write $\sin^2(4t)$ using the double angle relation for the first. For the second your approach is correct but remember that you can use time translation: $$\mathcal{L}(f(t-\tau))=e^{- \tau} \mathcal{L}(f(t)).$$

here's my attempt using the identity you gave me

$\sin^{2}(4t)=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\cos(8t)}{2}$

so, $\mathscr{L}\{\sin^{2}(4t)\} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{s}-\frac{s}{s^2+64}\right )=\frac{32}{s^3+64s}$

is my answer corect?

Drain Brain said:

here's my attempt using the identity you gave me

$\sin^{2}(4t)=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\cos(8t)}{2}$

so, $\mathscr{L}\{\sin^{2}(4t)\} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{s}-\frac{s}{s^2+64}\right )=\frac{32}{s^3+64s}$

is my answer corect?

Yes, well done :)

did I get the correct answer for the 2nd problem? And can you tell me another way of solving that.

Related to Laplace transform of a function II

1. What is the Laplace transform of a function?

The Laplace transform of a function is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is denoted by the symbol ℓ and is commonly used in engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. How is the Laplace transform of a function calculated?

The Laplace transform of a function is calculated by integrating the function multiplied by the exponential function ℓ (t) = e-st, where s is a complex variable. The result is a new function in the frequency domain, which represents the original function in the time domain.

3. What is the significance of the Laplace transform in science and engineering?

The Laplace transform is significant in science and engineering as it allows us to solve differential equations, which are used to model many physical systems. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to analyze complex systems.

4. How does the Laplace transform of a function differ from the Fourier transform?

The Laplace transform and the Fourier transform are both used to convert functions from the time domain to the frequency domain. However, the Laplace transform is defined for a wider range of functions, including those that are not periodic, while the Fourier transform is only defined for periodic functions.

5. Can the Laplace transform of a function be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the Laplace transform is commonly used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing. It allows for the analysis and design of systems that can be represented by differential equations, making it a valuable tool in problem-solving and modeling.