Exploring Web Handling: A Physicist's Perspective

• Thread starter Dilwyn Jones
  • Start date
In summary, "Exploring Web Handling: A Physicist's Perspective" delves into the principles and applications of web handling, a process that involves the continuous handling and control of a flexible material such as paper, film, or foil. Written from a physicist's perspective, the article discusses the fundamental physics behind web handling, including tension, friction, and lubrication, as well as the various challenges and solutions in web handling systems. It also explores the advancements in technology and techniques used in the industry, such as predictive modeling and intelligent control systems, to improve the efficiency and accuracy of web handling processes. Overall, the article provides a comprehensive overview of the complex and crucial role of physics in web handling and its impact on various industries.
Dilwyn Jones
How did you find PF?
Google search for a technical subject brought up a post in the forum. The discussion moved to relevant books but didn't mention a recent one I co-authored, so I decided to help.
I am semi-retired after 22 years consulting on plastic film production and properties, and web handling for any thin continuous sheet. Prior to that I worked in that field for a major UK chemical company. I am still interested in understanding web handling better with the aid of theory.

I am currently on the Web Handling Committee for the Association of Roll to Roll Converters (formerly AIMCAL), based in the USA, and I recently completed a second term on the Printing and Graphics Science Group of the Institute of Physics as Treasurer. In my first term I chaired the group for 3 years. I am a member of the Institute of Physics.

I obtained my BA and PhD degrees at the University of Cambridge. My thesis title was "The Low Temperature Thermal Properties of Amorphous Semiconductors", conducting experiments down to 0.1K and applying solid state physics theory to explain the results. I taught some undergraduates, and have given occasional tuition to children of friends and relatives over the years.

I don't intend to be a major user of the forum but will contribute where I can.

Likes Username123, PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF; it's great to have you here.

Yeah, the Mentors discussed your post in the film handling thread, and agreed that your new book was an important resource to mention in that thread. Thanks. :smile:

Likes Username123