Introducing myself: Physicist and Photographer

• Thread starter Douglas-Stinson
  • Start date
In summary, I am a physicist and photographer with a passion for understanding the world through both scientific and artistic lenses. I have a deep curiosity about the laws and mysteries of the universe, and I express this through my photographs, capturing the beauty and complexity of nature. I am constantly seeking to expand my knowledge and skills in both fields, and I am excited to share my unique perspective with others.
Douglas-Stinson
How did you find PF?
Google search for optics forums
Hi!
I am a retired PhD Physicist, R&D manager and now photographer.

I have held leadership positions in the data storage, telecommunications and medical device industries. My focus was on complete product realization by creating and leading diverse, multi-functional teams that deliver innovative products and services to satisfy customers’ unmet needs. Most recently I was responsible for the creation of American Medical Systems’ (now Boston Scientific) GreenLight XPS laser and MoXy fiber optic delivery device, the premier surgical treatment for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH). I hold a BA degree from New College in Sarasota Fl and a Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana.

Currently I practice fine art photogarphy with a particular interest in the surprising connection between our sense of the aesthetic and the universality of underlying physical laws. Other work explores the relationship between form, function and design and the discovery of hidden beauty in transitional forms. Some images draw on my experience in land use planning and environmental conservation. I have expanded my studies of photography at the San Francisco Art Institute. I am a member of the Board of Directors of the San Francisco-based non-profit PhotoAlliance. My photographs have won awards local and regionally and have been exhibited internationally.

I’m originally from “The granite town of the granite state” (Milford, New Hampshire, USA). I now reside in Fremont California, along with my wife and cat.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, it's good to have you here. :smile:

(and I assume the next-to-last word in your intro should be "and"?) :wink:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes sysprog, DaveC426913 and PeroK
Douglas-Stinson said:
I have held leadership positions in the data storage, telecommunications and medical device industries. My focus was on complete product realization by creating and leading diverse, multi-functional teams that deliver innovative products and services to satisfy customers’ unmet needs.
I remember when people spoke and wrote like that. There's a future for you in the fire-escape trade!

Likes sysprog
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF, it's good to have you here. :smile:

(and I assume the next-to-last word in your intro should be "and"?) :wink:
OMG! Yes,, fixed now!

Likes sysprog and berkeman
Back