Exploring Topics in Astrophysics: Finding Arguments for and Against

In summary, the speaker is seeking suggestions for a science-related research paper for their English class. The topic must have two sides to it and be based in astrophysics. The speaker suggests dark matter vs MOND as a potential topic, as it has arguments for and against it. They also mention the difficulty of finding arguments from respectable sources.
Ironside
Hey guys, sorry if I put this in the wrong section. Basically here's the thing, I have to do a research paper for my English class, and it is to be science related. That's all fine and dandy, but the thing is, the prof. said that the topic should have two sides to it, basically an argument to the topic at hand. That's the thing, even something like Evolution and Global Warming who in the public eye seems to have "arguments" , there isn't much arguments to find other than, "it's not true", especially arguments from respectable sources I would assume would be VERY hard to find. So I want to do something astrophysics based, a topic relating to this field, but I'm stuck.

What topics would you guys suggest to me that sort of have both arguments for it, and against it. Also remember, it's for english class so I can't really give anything more than simple statistics in terms of data. Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dark matter vs MOND.

Related to Exploring Topics in Astrophysics: Finding Arguments for and Against

1. What is a research paper?

A research paper is a written document that presents the results of a study or investigation on a particular topic. It typically includes a thesis statement, background information, a literature review, methodology, results, and a conclusion. Research papers are commonly used in academic settings to showcase a student's understanding and analysis of a subject.

2. How do I choose a topic for my research paper?

Choosing a topic for a research paper can be a daunting task, but it's important to select a subject that interests you and has enough available information to support your study. Consider your personal interests, current events, and gaps in existing research to help narrow down your options. It's also helpful to discuss potential topics with your instructor or classmates for guidance and feedback.

3. What is the research process?

The research process involves several steps, including identifying a research question, conducting a literature review, selecting a methodology, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. It also involves proper citation and formatting of sources. The process can vary slightly depending on the subject and type of research, but it typically follows a logical and systematic approach.

4. How do I organize my research paper?

Organizing a research paper can be done in various ways, but a common structure includes an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. The introduction should provide background information and a thesis statement, while the literature review summarizes existing research on the topic. The methodology section explains the methods used to conduct the study, and the results and discussion sections present and analyze the findings. The conclusion should summarize the main points and provide a final thought on the topic.

5. How do I properly cite my sources?

Properly citing sources is crucial in a research paper to give credit to the original authors and avoid plagiarism. The most commonly used citation styles in academic writing are MLA, APA, and Chicago. These styles have specific guidelines for in-text citations and the format of the reference list or bibliography. It's essential to follow the chosen style consistently throughout the paper and use reputable sources to support your arguments.