Dark matter research paper question

In summary, the topic of dark matter research paper question is focused on the ongoing efforts to understand the elusive substance that makes up a large portion of the universe. Despite its significant presence, dark matter remains a mystery as it cannot be directly observed and its properties are still largely unknown. Scientists continue to investigate through various methods, such as studying the gravitational effects of dark matter and searching for potential particles that could make up this mysterious substance. By delving deeper into the nature of dark matter, researchers hope to gain a better understanding of the universe and its formation.
LailaR
I'm writing a thesis for my high school research paper on dark matter. It's difficult to come up with a claim that is argumentative, engaging, and related to the research I've done on the scientific process in relation to theories about dark matter.

Do you think I could reasonably argue that efforts to explain dark matter should shift from particle searches to other explanations?

WIMP detectors have yet to find convincing evidence of particles that could make up dark matter. This could be because there aren't such particles or because the detectors aren't sensitive enough. Is it worthwhile to keep designing and building increasingly sensitive detectors to search for something that doesn't necessarily exist? Other explanations haven't been ruled out yet.

Space news on Phys.org
LailaR said:
Is it worthwhile to keep designing and building increasingly sensitive detectors to search for something that doesn't necessarily exist?
How else are you going to learn whether they exist or not? I am not saying it is necessarily worthwhile, but the fundamental idea of science is that you must test your theories. Of course, if you continue not finding something with more and more sensitive experiments, the scientific interest typically shifts away from those theories.

Likes jedishrfu
However look at the search for gravitational waves started in the 1960's with the Weber bar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber_bar

https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/page/timeline

and concluded with LIGO. Experimental science is all about getting more and more sensitive equipment to detect ever more faint phenomena. We still have a long way to go before we reach the Planck scale of things that is string theory.

Here's a tribute to Prof Weber:

https://www.insidescience.org/news/man-who-might-have-won-nobel-prize

Orodruin said:
How else are you going to learn whether they exist or not?
I see your point. Do you have any advice on where else I could take my general research about dark matter theories to turn it into a thesis-driven research paper?

LailaR said:
I see your point. Do you have any advice on where else I could take my general research about dark matter theories to turn it into a thesis-driven research paper?
I was thinking that an analysis of the situation might be worth doing. The alternatives to WIMP are not promising but dark matter detection has not succeeded so far. Science is hard! You never really know when you are in a dead end street. Nature can be elusive.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll definitely look into MOND more.

LailaR said:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll definitely look into MOND more.
Here's some references to help you on your way...

1) Famaey & McGaugh,
"Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND): Observational Phenomenology and Relativistic Extensions".
https://link.springer.com/article/10.12942/lrr-2012-10

2) Stacey McGaugh's Dark Matter Course homepage. (This could be too advanced for a high school project, but you might at least gain an appreciation of the breadth of the subject, and the challenges involved in trying to sort out the puzzle of galactic rotation curves.)

1. What is dark matter and why is it important to study?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to traditional telescopes. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It is important to study because its presence can help explain the observed structure and movement of galaxies, and understanding it can lead to a better understanding of the universe as a whole.

2. How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Dark matter is fundamentally different from regular matter in that it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible. It also does not interact with itself or regular matter through strong or electromagnetic forces, only through gravity. This makes it very difficult to detect and study.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark matter?

The evidence for dark matter comes from various sources, including observations of the rotation curves of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and the cosmic microwave background. These observations all point to the fact that there is much more mass in the universe than what we can see, leading scientists to believe that there must be a type of matter that we cannot directly observe.

4. How do scientists study dark matter?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study dark matter, including indirect detection through observations of its gravitational effects on other objects, such as galaxies. They also use particle accelerators to try and create dark matter particles in controlled environments, as well as underground detectors to try and directly detect dark matter particles passing through the Earth.

5. What are some current theories and hypotheses about dark matter?

One of the most widely accepted theories about dark matter is the Cold Dark Matter model, which suggests that dark matter is made up of slow-moving, non-interacting particles. Other theories propose that dark matter is made up of more exotic particles, such as axions or weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs). There are also theories that suggest that our understanding of gravity may need to be modified in order to explain the observed effects of dark matter.