What would a design prototype research paper look like?

al4n
I have minimal to no research experience (writing / conducting) so I might be asking basic or silly questions. However, I am desperate as I have an upcoming paper to write and have close to zero ideas on where to begin. I am confused on a lot of things and I am hoping that a few of them will be cleared up.

To begin, the paper is required to be a design prototype of some kind ( Im not even sure if the term "design prototype" makes sense in this context, im just spewing out words that closely relates to what the expected output is), most likely of a mechanical system.

Now, in my surface level understanding, most papers of any kind must include one important thing: The question to ask. I think its technically called the problem statement or maybe the hypothesis.
Here is my first roadblock. What question do you even ask given the specifics of the paper. What variables are you supposed to measure? What are you supposed to test?

A prototype implies that its something new. If something new was created. What am I testing this new thing against? Pre existing things that are similar to it? What if its totally radical and can't be compared?

What if the goal is just to show the concept of the design to work? What data would then even need to be collected? Will one entire section of the paper be just two checkboxes that say either: "it works" or "it doesnt work".

Another method that I could think of is comparing the final version of the design to previous versions. However that would require creating multiple prototypes. Something that I would very much like to avoid for resource reasons.

I have a lot of other little things to ask but those are like the main things that I am really confused about. Hoping for answers

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you are missing some direction from your course. How is it you have a paper to write so soon but have so little guidance? What is this prototype you're supposed to design?

Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
It seems you are missing some direction from your course. How is it you have a paper to write so soon but have so little guidance? What is this prototype you're supposed to design?
I dont wanna get into it, but the professor barely shows up and just gives some requirements. As for the specifics of the paper, its pretty much whatever you could think of, as long as you can back it up on how such a system may be ( or may not be) helpful.

OK, I think we're gonna need more than that to go on.
There's go to be some guidelines to help you get started.
Do you have any ideas so far about what you want to address?

DaveC426913 said:
OK, I think we're gonna need more than that to go on.
There's go to be some guidelines to help you get started.
Do you have any ideas so far about what you want to address?
I will attempt to describe, from my understanding, the output that is to be expected. It involves the design and development of either a tool, a machine, a mechanical system, or maybe even a process or method with the emphasis that it could lessen the tediousness or increase the convenice of a certain task. It may add upon previous design and ideas, or might be an entirely new concept. It is also a plus if the result has practical benefits to commercial or industrial sectors. The actual instructions were pretty vague, but in essence I think this is the goal.

al4n said:
It involves the design and development of either a tool, a machine, a mechanical system, or maybe even a process or method with the emphasis that it could lessen the tediousness or increase the convenice of a certain task.
OK, so we can deduce then that this is a mechanical engineering course maybe? Or product design course maybe?

DaveC426913 said:
OK, so we can deduce then that this is a mechanical engineering course maybe? Or product design course maybe?
Yes, this is a mechanical engineering course.

al4n said:
Yes, this is a mechanical engineering course.
Do you have a 3D drafting program available to you as part of this course? Do you have a 3D printer available to fabricate designs from that program?

When thinking about an assignment like this, it is often useful to think about things you would like to make for your hobbies and daily life activities. Is there anything that frustrates you sometimes that you think there should be a better solution for?

It also could just be an idea you have had for a better solution to a common problem or a way to simplify daily activities.

berkeman said:
Do you have a 3D drafting program available to you as part of this course? Do you have a 3D printer available to fabricate designs from that program?

When thinking about an assignment like this, it is often useful to think about things you would like to make for your hobbies and daily life activities. Is there anything that frustrates you sometimes that you think there should be a better solution for?

It also could just be an idea you have had for a better solution to a common problem or a way to simplify daily activities.
I appreciate the feedback. I am still looking for a specific idea to pursue at the moment, however I would like clear up some points beforehand that I mentioned above about the the paper itself and how one would write it given the conditions. I think there may be 3D drafting programs that are opensource and readily available. I do not however have access to a 3d printer.

What is a design prototype research paper?

A design prototype research paper is a document that presents the findings of a study or experiment conducted to test the effectiveness of a design prototype. It typically includes information on the research question, methodology, results, and conclusions.

What is the purpose of a design prototype research paper?

The purpose of a design prototype research paper is to provide a detailed analysis of a design prototype and its potential impact. It serves to inform others in the field about the effectiveness of the prototype and its potential applications.

What are the key components of a design prototype research paper?

The key components of a design prototype research paper include an abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. Each section serves a specific purpose and should be written in a clear and concise manner.

How should a design prototype research paper be structured?

A design prototype research paper should be structured in a logical and organized manner. It should start with an introduction that provides background information and the research question, followed by a literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is also important to include proper citations and references throughout the paper.

What are some tips for writing a successful design prototype research paper?

Some tips for writing a successful design prototype research paper include clearly defining the research question, using a well-structured and organized format, providing detailed and accurate information, and using proper citations and references. It is also important to proofread and edit the paper for any errors or inconsistencies.