Exploring the Universe: Pursuing a BS in Astrophysics and Beyond

• Thread starter Steven Malone
  • Start date
In summary, pursuing a BS in Astrophysics allows individuals to delve into the vast and mysterious world of the universe and gain a deeper understanding of its workings. This degree can also open doors to various career opportunities such as research, data analysis, and teaching. Furthermore, a BS in Astrophysics can serve as a springboard for further studies and exploration in the field, leading to a fulfilling and exciting career in the ever-evolving realm of astrophysics.
Steven Malone
Hello PF!

My name is Steven Malone. I am a current undergraduate at the University of North Florida. I returned to college at the age of 30 to finish a BS in Astrophysics and work towards a Masters or PhD in the future. My interests are in the space industry and improving public interest in the areas of exploration and development of space, astrophysics, and astronomy. I volunteer with #popscope, a national social-based astronomy outreach organization focused on sharing knowledge by setting up telescopes in densely populated cities. I recently have found an interest in public speaking on topics of astronomy and astrophysics in venues such as breweries and coffee shops. I plan on expanding this concept nationally and work towards building another social-based organization like #popscope.

I look forward to having PF as a resource for expanding my academic knowledge as well as futhering my practical understanding of physics. Also, I am doing undergraduate research in finding improved gamma-ray scintillation materials as a parallel effort in researching origins of cosmic rays. Other areas of research I am interesting is in ultra-high-energy and extreme-energy cosmic rays (UHECR and EECR) as they are theorized to be from relatively near sources due to the loss in energy through scattering. If anyone has interest in these areas, please message me.

Thanks,
SM

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Steven. We're glad to have you.

Not many have the courage to restart school at your age. Good for you.

Likes Steven Malone
anorlunda said:
Welcome to PF Steven. We're glad to have you.

Not many have the courage to restart school at your age. Good for you.

Thank you, I was told by a woman with a PhD and an MBA at the age of 70 who has had 3 careers that I am very arrogant if I think I'm too old to go back to school. :)